Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front Wheel Release

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Front Wheel Release

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 02:40 AM
jonnyoldham22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front Wheel Release

Hi,
I am a newb when it comes to bikes.

I have just brought a koner coiler deluxe 2007 and am struggling with releasing the front wheel! I have never come across a wheel attachment like it! Its on the Marzocchi 66 RV ETA 160mm travel. I wish to take the front wheel off for storage, is there a way I could put quick release on?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-13, 03:54 AM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It helps to add a picture of what your dealing with to orient folks who may be able to help.

I looked up your bike and the specs state the fork has 20mm dropouts and the front hub has a 20mm axle. This refers to it being a "through axle" design.

With this design you loosen the the two bolts on each of the fork ends that clamp the axle in the fork and the entire axle slides out of the hub...then the wheel can be removed from between the fork.

For replacement it is best to find out what the torque spec of the bolts are so you are sure to tighten them enough without tightening them so much that you break a bolt or strip the fork ends.

There are some through axle design forks that have quick release levers on both fork ends instead of bolts but I don't believe this is something that can be retrofit as the fork ends need to be designed for use with quick release levers. Unfortunately with regards to your fork yours is bolted. The nice thing though is you only need to carry an allen key or torx key in the appropriate head size to open the fork ends and pull the axle/wheel...these are relatively small, light weight, and common so it should not be a big deal.

-j

Last edited by Zef; 10-08-13 at 03:58 AM.
Old 10-08-13, 07:22 AM
jonnyoldham22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am trying to attact photos from my phone but always upload fail. I have no pc/laptop.

I have taken the 2 x 4mm bolts from either side of the wheel, it has a 6mm allen key hole straight through the wheel centre rod, do I have to loosen this?
Old 10-08-13, 09:37 AM
Zef

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't have through axle hubs/fork on my mt bike so I have no practical experience working with this type of hub. There is a website for your fork's manufacturer...that is how I confirmed your model is thru axle. See if there is a manual in PDF format on their website or search Youtube for a video of removing a through axle hubbed wheel from a bike. That 6mm allen may be necessary for removal or then again it could cause catastrophic failure of your hub...run some google searches and see what you find. Post back what you learn because whatever info you find will be helpful to other folks who run a search on the topic.

-j
Old 10-08-13, 09:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Minus pictures , <guess> the QR skewer needs to be almost, if not entirely, .. Removed
to clear the fork tip features, that prevent the wheel from coming loose while you are riding.
Old 10-08-13, 10:01 AM
techsensei

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have a Koner bike, I'll bet you have a Cannon camera as well.
Old 10-08-13, 10:07 AM
Zef

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just did some googling/youtubing and found that one end of a thru axle is threaded. So once you remove the bolts on either forkend you then need to unscrew the axle to remove with the 6mm allen key you mentioned.

Good luck.

-Jeff
Old 10-08-13, 10:13 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by techsensei
If you have a Koner bike, I'll bet you have a Cannon camera as well.
Maybe they're from Massachusetts?
Old 10-08-13, 03:07 PM
jonnyoldham22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah think its threaded, sorry I cant post pictures.. on mobile, will get 2 6mm allen keys and see if that does the job
Old 10-08-13, 07:13 PM
Zef

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is a link to a page with a manual for your fork. It lists the proper procedure for installing/removing a wheel plus other maintenance stuff. It lists the proper torque specs for the clamping bolts on the fork ends.

Choose any of the file links that say RV:

https://www.marzocchi.com/admin/downl...DOggetto=30832

Since you mentioned you did not have access to a computer here is a cut and paste from the manual with the wheel installation procedure...I am sure you can figure out how to reverse the process for wheel removal:

-Place the wheel in between each fork.

-Align the center of the wheel with each wheel axle clamp.

-Insert the axle through the wheel axle clamp of the right fork, through the wheel, and then screw it into the wheel axle clamp of the left fork.

-Tighten the axle to the required torque (15±1 Nm) using a 6mm Allen key to the caps of the axle.

-Check for the proper fork-wheel alignment. To do this, begin by fully compressing the fork a few times. The wheel should not make contact with, or come close to any portion of the fork. Then lift the front of the bicycle and spin the wheel a few times to verify the correct alignment with the disk brake. The wheel should not wobble from side to side or up and down.

-Tighten the screws positioned on each wheel axle clamp to the required torque (6±1 Nm), with a “1-2-1” sequence, using a 4mm Allen key.

Merry Christmas.
-j