Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shopping without panniers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Shopping without panniers

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-23, 09:03 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked 2,122 Times in 1,197 Posts
Our local supermarkets encourage shoppers to use the large dual handled plastic shopping bags. I doubt they would object to panniers, if they did I'd have it out with the store manager and nip this in the bud.
Old 02-16-23, 09:42 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
So stores you refer to dont allow people to bring in reusable shopping bags? I mean...thatd be odd.
of course they do! as i said, they want you to fill them at the register so they can see that the stuff you put in them has been paid for. you put the empty reusable bag/s at the bottom of the basket or cart when you get to the store. get your stuff. go to the register. unload the basket/cart, revealing the empty shopping bags at the bottom, sitting there flat and obviously not containing any shoplifted goods. pay, fill bags.

untold hundreds of thousands o of people do this every day, i'm not sure what the confusion is!
Old 02-16-23, 11:20 AM
esasjl

Bikes: '84 Chas Roberts, '91 Peugeot Galibier, '94 Gitane Leader, '51 Dayton Elite, '90 Verago ATB, '08 Dawes Sardar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 62 Posts
It depends how much shopping you are getting but these are like reusable shopping bags with pannier hooks
https://road.cc/content/review/cobags-bikezac-20-293441
They are only rated to 8 kg so not great for the weekly shop that gets to 40 kg.
Old 02-16-23, 01:51 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts

Put them on the platform that's underneath the main bin.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 02-16-23, 03:15 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,530 Times in 1,857 Posts
If the store has carts, we are dealing with a much different scenario. As you say, put the bags under the cart before you enter ... or fold them flat (if they do) and drop them into the cart.

For situations where you have to hand-carry them or sling them over a shoulder, things might be different.
Old 02-16-23, 03:31 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked 2,122 Times in 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
of course they do! as i said, they want you to fill them at the register so they can see that the stuff you put in them has been paid for. you put the empty reusable bag/s at the bottom of the basket or cart when you get to the store. get your stuff. go to the register. unload the basket/cart, revealing the empty shopping bags at the bottom, sitting there flat and obviously not containing any shoplifted goods. pay, fill bags.

untold hundreds of thousands o of people do this every day, i'm not sure what the confusion is!
Our local store, called Stop and Shop, allows either use of a hand held bar code scanner the store provides, or you can scan off a phone app. You scan as you shop, load up your bags/panniers, finish shopping, go to a self checkout lane, scan the completed bar code, pay and are done. On occasion, you get audited. The store employee then scans and checks that items in your bags have been scanned. Its a very easy and fast system.
Old 02-16-23, 10:55 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 625 Times in 350 Posts
I mounted a plastic crate on my rear rack. I was able to put 3 shopping bags in there
Old 02-16-23, 11:30 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Possible fold the panniers flat and tie/bungee/strap them flat so that they are not obviously bags
I haven't tried, suspect I couldn't get away with it.

Not sure what you were looking for when you posted here ....
Something that I can attach to my rack (because I hate carrying things on my body) that I can roll up as small as a shopping bag (or hide under my shirt) that will carry more stuff than a shopping bag. I imagined one of those 'panniers' that sits on top of a rack, attaches with velcro on its bottom to the rack. All those I've seen have been small.

So stores you refer to dont allow people to bring in reusable shopping bags? I mean...thatd be odd.
They do allow reusable shopping bags. I use one now, am hoping for something larger that attaches to my rack more securely.
My most common use is Mallwart. My gym is half-mile from the closest. After a workout I lock my panniers in a locker at the gym, take my shopping bag, bungees, and wallet to Mallwart, bring the stuff back. Sometimes it's so precarious I have to walk, which isn't too bad for half-mile. But that Mallwart just closed; now the closest is 6 miles away. One alternative is to order for pickup, but I'm used to being less organized.

Originally Posted by fishboat
another option is the tried and true, time honored kitty litter bucket approach to the touring-grocery-getter life:
That, or the wire baskets like I used to deliver newspapers 60 years ago. I don't have the space for a second bicycle.

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
My first thought was to consider a large bike messenger bag. Wear it in on your back and fill as you are leaving..
Can I attach that to my rack? And backpacks are expressly forbidden. I have to roll it up or hide it.

Originally Posted by mtnbud
Lonepeak makes a shopping bag pannier.
I don't think they'll let me in with that. If I make one myself - and I have made a few backpacks and have a piece of unused packcloth - I'd make it not-stiff so I can get it past security. That may be the ticket: the stiffener attached to the rack, count on it not getting stolen. Though a lot of thieves don't want the stuff they steal, just to spoil someone else's day.
Old 02-16-23, 11:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked 3,972 Times in 2,580 Posts
Maybe ask to speak with the manager on a day when you aren't feeling pissed about this and explain how much easier your life would be if you could just bring your panniers in the store and put them in a safe place, either with them or under the cart. That leaving them on the bike is asking to have them stolen. That taking this approach also saves the store bags.

Or, alternatively, could you simply bring the bike into the store panniers on?
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-17-23, 08:15 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Many variables exist for the cyclist wanting to shop and since food islands exist, we all don't have the option of going to another store.

I know the manager and employees at the store where I use the bike for grocery shopping. We know each other's first names and greet each other when I visit. I secure the bike just outside the door in plain sight. At another store there is a bike rack in plain view so that anyone trying to steal something would be obvious. I think if I needed to carry the panniers inside, they would hold them somewhere or allow me to put them in the space below the card. I'd prefer to leave them attached and load them after shopping. Those old type foldable wire type pannier baskets might be less desirable for thieves.
Old 02-17-23, 08:29 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 534 Posts
Wald makes collapsible baskets for a rear rack and also has bags that for in them.
Old 02-17-23, 09:33 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 353 Posts
OPs first sentence is “stores aren’t letting me in with panniers” and instead of taking this at face value more than half of the replies in this thread are questioning that premise.
Old 02-17-23, 10:16 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked 7,425 Times in 2,986 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
OPs first sentence is “stores aren’t letting me in with panniers” and instead of taking this at face value more than half of the replies in this thread are questioning that premise.
Cite one thread where someone questioned the OP’s claim…
Old 02-17-23, 12:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11029 Post(s)
Liked 7,576 Times in 4,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
They do allow reusable shopping bags. I use one now, am hoping for something larger that attaches to my rack more securely.
My most common use is Mallwart. My gym is half-mile from the closest. After a workout I lock my panniers in a locker at the gym, take my shopping bag, bungees, and wallet to Mallwart, bring the stuff back. Sometimes it's so precarious I have to walk, which isn't too bad for half-mile. But that Mallwart just closed; now the closest is 6 miles away. One alternative is to order for pickup, but I'm used to being less organized.
You seem to be an adult, lets use adult words and call it Walmart instead of some childish term like 'Mallwart'.
Your Walmart closed? Thats rare. Ive seen em move elsewhere in town to better handle traffic, so maybe thats what you mean? Regardless, that is frustrating for sure.

When you walk into the store, just push a cart or use a basket to collect your items. Buy them, and load them into your panniers. That is no different from how one shops with reusable bags.

As for your initial post- why on earth are you walking around the store with bags bungeed around your neck? That seems...eccentric to put it nicely.
Old 02-17-23, 12:20 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

The idea of "sneaking" bags into the shop also seemed odd.

The few places which wouldn't let me carry a big offered me the option of checking the bags at customer service. I don't see why this wouldn't work.
Old 02-17-23, 08:28 PM
Arthur Peabody

I know the manager and employees at the store where I use the bike for grocery shopping.
You don't shop at Mallwart.
At another store there is a bike rack in plain view so that anyone trying to steal something would be obvious.
That wouldn't discourage people here.

Originally Posted by bwilli88
Wald makes collapsible baskets for a rear rack and also has bags that for in them.
Someone would steal them for fun.

Your Walmart closed?
Yes.

When you walk into the store, just push a cart or use a basket to collect your items. Buy them, and load them into your panniers. That is no different from how one shops with reusable bags.
They have guards in the doorways that prevent entry with non-shopping bags.

As for your initial post- why on earth are you walking around the store with bags bungeed around your neck?
I didn't say I did. The bag is around my neck. That's the easiest way to carry it. It has bungee cords inside to attach the filled bag to the rack.

The idea of "sneaking" bags into the shop also seemed odd.
I didn't say I snuck them in. I hang the bag around my neck because that's the easiest way to carry it. I keep it in my shirt so it doesn't flop around when I'm riding.

The few places which wouldn't let me carry a big offered me the option of checking the bags at customer service. I don't see why this wouldn't work.
It would. They would have to offer it.
Old 02-17-23, 08:36 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11029 Post(s)
Liked 7,576 Times in 4,226 Posts
They have guards in the doorways that prevent entry with non-shopping bags.
Ok, so use the panniers as shopping bags. This is just the oddest 'issue' I've come across in some time.

[Quote/]I didn't say I did. The bag is around my neck. That's the easiest way to carry it. It has bungee cords inside to attach the filled bag to the rack.
[/QUOTE]
It seemed like you did since you said this...
I've been carrying a cloth shopping bag around my neck with bungee cords, whipping it out at the cash register...

Anyways, best of luck to you in your future shopping endeavors. Perhaps consider shopping in grocery stores that don't have guards at the entrance.
Old 02-18-23, 03:32 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 534 Posts
Someone would steal them for fun.
Not if you take the bag in with you. Those racks do not come off easy.

As it works best.
Old 02-18-23, 04:50 AM
Maelochs

Right ... if they would take the time to unbolt your racks, why would they not steal any or all of the mechanically affixed accouterments ... saddle, brifters, derailleurs stem, seat post, bars?

Also, you did say, twice that you wanted to hide stuff under your shirt and sneak it in.

Third, you say that a store would have to offer the option of checking bags. I am not a million years old, but I am pretty old, and I have been using this feature (or have been forced to use it) for a long, long time. I think you simply haven't tried. Personally, I would go right to Customer Service and ask if I could check a bag I didn't want to carry with me. Try it.

This evolved about 80 years ago with the advent of shopping malls, where a person would go from store to store, and no store wanted to see a person carrying an armful of bags from other stores, full of merchandise---theft risk. it is not 21st century cutting-edge technology.

This has devolved into or revealed itself as one a sort of typical BF threads---I want advice, purportedly, but whatever anyone suggests I will reject, no matter how outlandish my purported reason for rejection.

Plenty of good answers here. Try some and report back, please.
Old 02-18-23, 05:14 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Stores are no longer allowed to provide bags here, we have to bring our own.

I just tell them the pannier is my purse and am identifying as a Karen today, now, get me the Manager immediately. Cue the iPhone.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-18-23, 08:47 PM
Arthur Peabody

Ok, so use the panniers as shopping bags.
The stores have definitions of shopping bags that my panniers, and all I have seen, don't fit. I used the phrase to refer to reusable shopping bags that stores have to accommodate.
It seemed like you did since you said this...
You misunderstand. The bungee cords are in the bag attached to my neck.
consider shopping in grocery stores that don't have guards at the entrance.
I didn't mention grocery stores. All of them in Albuquerque have guards at the entrance. All the ones at which I shop don't mind my panniers.

if they would take the time to unbolt your racks
I wasn't responding to something that required bolting on.

you did say, twice that you wanted to hide stuff under your shirt and sneak it in.
If I could hide it under my shirt that would make it acceptable. I carry my shopping bag inside my shirt because it rides most easily that way.

you say that a store would have to offer the option of checking bags.
I have tried. Some used to. The Mallwart that closed used to have lockers. They were vandalized.
Old 02-19-23, 08:59 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I just realized that "Malwart" is referring to Walmart.
Old 03-07-23, 04:16 PM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Just put your panniers inside a reusable grocery bag so you don't have to leave them outside the store where the panniers might get stolen. Stick the reusable grocery bag in the cart on the folding kiddie seat, and shop as usual.

When you get to the checkout, either give the panniers to the bagger, or bag them into the panniers yourself. Places like Lidl, Trader Joes, and Aldi all make you pack your own bags anyway.

My son lives in Baltimore and does his warm weather grocery shopping this way with his Cannondale R900 with a rear rack, and 1994 vintage red Cannondale panniers. He will also use a plastic milk crate bungeed to the rack for larger items like gallons of milk or laundry detergent.

I do like the kitty litter bucket idea, sometimes you want to be able to seal your cargo in a water and airtight container.

Last edited by Keefusb; 03-08-23 at 08:43 AM.