Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Average speed annoyance

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Average speed annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 09:43 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks, slowandsteady. I'll try to look it over before I forget the model.
Old 07-19-06, 10:15 AM
SoonerBent
<><

Bikes: RANS Tailwind

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Fixer
Time is the main element.
That's why climbing hills kill you average speed. You can spend two hours slowly grinding up this hill and come back down that same hill at 50mph but you're not going to regain your cruising average.
Your cruising average has been lost in those two hours you spent grinding up that hill at 5 mph. A 50mph descent for just a few minutes is not enough to get back your lost average speed.
Two other examples. And these get me sometimes.

I ride to a local lake and do 3 or 4 laps about twice a week. Its about 10 miles around the lake and most of the time I'm going 20 to 22. But, it has two or three places where I cross places that cars usually are at the crossing and I have to slow or stop. Then there is the three miles to and from the lake through residential areas. So I end up only averaging 15 to 16.

The Hotter N Hell Hundred. If you don't start very near the front. And I usually don't. It can be up to 20 minutes before you actually reach the start and a couple of miles before you can really reach speed. So to average 20 for the 100 mi. you have to go harder than usual for a 100 mile ride.

SB
Old 07-19-06, 12:38 PM
ghettocruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As others have noted Average speed is the cruelest statistic.

Commit to it only if you want to suffer.
Old 07-19-06, 12:58 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
As others have noted Average speed is the cruelest statistic.

Commit to it only if you want to suffer.
Can't help it, I'm hooked. Today I did a nice 25 km jaunt along the straight, serene and occasionally slightly hilly (but mostly flat) country roads outside of the town I live in, and averaged 27.8 km/h. This is my first week with a road bike, and the average so far is 27.0 km/h on the money. My best weekly average on a hybrid, upon which I was riding up until last week, was 24.8 km/h.

It's too much fun. Summer is here, and the sun is in the sky. The downside, I know, is that with the highs come the lows. I'll be dogging it on cloudy fall days when I can't get above 25 km/h, to be sure. But I'll bridge that cross when I come to it.
Old 07-19-06, 02:39 PM
Bikes-N-Drums
Skin-Pounder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to live for average speed. Why, I don't know. I should be enjoying my ride, but instead I compete against myself. What a catastrophe.

Nowadays, my average speed is about as important to me as my max speed. Trivial at best. I use my computer to measure the distance I travelled and that's about it.

Just wait until you wreck because you didn't want to slow down and bungle your average. That tends to kill the obsession.