Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Handlebar tape finishing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Handlebar tape finishing

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-14, 01:38 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Handlebar tape finishing

Does anybody have a technique that is easy and neat for marking and cutting the end if handle bar tape? Starting at the end, and finishing near the stem.
Any by the way, don't tape bars when you are tired, and have had enough of bikes for the day, even though your wife want's it done.
Old 07-31-14, 02:06 PM
1 Miyata Biker

Bikes: Schwinns and Miyatas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is usually finishing tape included with the handlebar tape kit, but sometimes this tape isn't the best and doesn't stick very well. One tip for finishing the handlebar tape job, is to never wrap the finishing tape onto the handlebar itself. Keep the finished end on the handlebar tape. This prevents the finishing tape wrap that has to go from the handlebar tape down to the lower surface of the handlebar. This bit of an offset is where the finishing tape unravels. If the finishing tape that included in the handlebar tape kit is the quality you want, electrical tape of a contrasting color or matching color can usually be found at a "big box" store or local hardware store.
Old 07-31-14, 02:11 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I just cut it at an angle so it thins out to the tip and have it end on the bottom of the bar. Then I finish it off with 3M electrical tape. The first wrap of tape I do tight so it is secure, which is cut off. Then I do a second cosmetic layer of electrical tape that I do not stretch at all. Make sure to end the tape at the bottom of the bar.
Old 07-31-14, 02:15 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Yes. I have a method of finishing off bar tape that is easy and neat. One important trick is to use only 3M 33 or 88 electrical tape for the finishing wrap.
Old 07-31-14, 02:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I try to overlap the top portions more to be a bit fatter and so I don't have to cut off excess.

Then use 3M tape to hold it down.
Old 07-31-14, 02:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Does anybody have a technique that is easy and neat for marking and cutting the end if handle bar tape? Starting at the end, and finishing near the stem.
Any by the way, don't tape bars when you are tired, and have had enough of bikes for the day, even though your wife want's it done.
I find that a hawkbill knife (this is only an example there are many others) works best to make a straight cut around a tube. Run the tape up to where you want to end it, then cut the tape. For finishing, I much prefer self fusing silicone tape like Rescue Tape or Tommy Tape to electrician's tape. It fuses smoothly, makes a permanent bond and doesn't get sticky like adhesive tape can. It comes in several different colors as well
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-31-14, 03:01 PM
leob1

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I find that a hawkbill knife (this is only an example there are many others) works best to make a straight cut around a tube. Run the tape up to where you want to end it, then cut the tape. For finishing, I much prefer self fusing silicone tape like Rescue Tape or Tommy Tape to electrician's tape. It fuses smoothly, makes a permanent bond and doesn't get sticky like adhesive tape can. It comes in several different colors as well
I considered doing this, and I can see how the hawkbill would work. But I had issues with holding the bar tape in place, do you apply the finish tape first and use that as a guide, or cut the bar tape first, then apply the finish tape?
Old 07-31-14, 06:29 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
+100 on self-fusing silicone tape. It comes in lots of colors, including clear, to match or contrast with your frame/tape. Great for 1000 other uses.
Old 07-31-14, 06:55 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I considered doing this, and I can see how the hawkbill would work. But I had issues with holding the bar tape in place, do you apply the finish tape first and use that as a guide, or cut the bar tape first, then apply the finish tape?
I cut the tape first. However, if the tape doesn't stick, you can use a small amount of electrical tape or a bit of the silicone tape to hold it while you cut it. Then you finish it with a couple of wraps of the silicone tape.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-01-14, 06:26 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Plastic tape is easy, which is what you asked for. Personally I've never liked the look of plastic tape on bicycles, but it goes better on more "modern" bikes than it does on older classics. This aint easy, but I like the looks. Especially on older bikes. Crochet thread, sealed with a couple of costs of clear shellac.

This is thin braided black nylon
Old 08-01-14, 07:43 PM
hayden52

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
Here's a good video demonstrating one technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ljNhpyKqc
Old 08-02-14, 03:25 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Norm you well come up short just vuy another rolll and go.
Old 08-02-14, 02:46 PM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

I never use tape, string only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1407336205000.jpg (76.0 KB, 132 views)
KINDLE_CAMERA_1407336168000.jpg (95.5 KB, 124 views)
Old 08-02-14, 09:24 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+100 Self fusing tape, its all I use, lots of colors. No adhesive, sticks to itself, no gooey mess.
Old 08-02-14, 11:08 PM
e_guevara

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10 Team, Giant TCR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i double over the last bit so I don't have to cut it, does make it a bit thicker at the end though. Then I use two passes of electrical tape - the first is stretched taut to hold the tape in place, and the second is mostly for a cosmetic finish. Sometimes I use the supplied finishing tape over the electrical tape. It's important to finish the wrap and cut the tape at the bottom of the bar for a clean look.
Old 08-03-14, 01:24 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I use electricians tape then use twine (see Rivendell video for "how to") at the ends to cover the tape. If the tape is dark, I use black waxed twine, otherwise hemp twine & shellac.
Old 08-03-14, 07:34 AM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
That's a great idea using two separate layers of electrical tape to finish off. Never thought of that. Really hard to match the width of the stretched tape.
Thanks.
Old 08-03-14, 11:29 AM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
I put a pass of electrical tape with the sticky side out halfway under where the tapered bar tape will end. The electrical tape will stretch enough to fold over the bar tape edge. Then I wrap the Cinelli finishing tape around it even with the electrical tape's edge.

Attached Images
P10100052-1.jpg (57.3 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by cranky old road; 08-04-14 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 08-03-14, 03:01 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
No sticky mess with 3M 33 or 88 electrical tape. It sticks well, is very stretchy conforming to the step between the tape and the bar, doesn't shrink or creep after installation, and the adhesive never gets gooey or bleeds. Removing the tape leaves no adhesive behind. Not saying it's necessarily superior to silicone tape but it is an alternative and way better than lesser electrical tapes.
Old 08-03-14, 05:42 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Looigi
No sticky mess with 3M 33 or 88 electrical tape. It sticks well, is very stretchy conforming to the step between the tape and the bar, doesn't shrink or creep after installation, and the adhesive never gets gooey or bleeds. Removing the tape leaves no adhesive behind. Not saying it's necessarily superior to silicone tape but it is an alternative and way better than lesser electrical tapes.
I've used both and neither is as clean as you say in my experience. Heat makes matters worse with both. The 3M tape is a step up from cheaper alternatives but the fusable silicon has no adhesive at all. It's a stretchy as electrician's tape, conforms to the tape and bars and is about a close to shrink-wraping the bars there is without shrink-wrap

Old 08-03-14, 10:43 PM
Cen

Bikes: Cervélo T1 (n+1 in bio ;)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I just finished a experiment using no adhesive tape, and starting from the stem.

1- I cut a piece of the additional padding layer where I was going to overlap the tape to avoid having a bump there.
2- Placement of the tape
3- The first turn I did it stretching the tape to hold the end in place
4- I kept rolling the tape all the way to the bottom.
5- The upper end looks very clean
6- This was the tricky part, but if you have enough tape left it is easier. Just drop it in there

7- I'm very pleased with the result, aesthetically at least, I'll keep you updated of how it performs. I think it depends a lot on the start being really tight, I left very little material under the first turn because the tape was just long enough for my handlebar, but I am sure that with more length the start of the tape will be even more secure.

Attached Images
Handlebar1.jpg (67.1 KB, 148 views)
Handlebar2.jpg (44.0 KB, 515 views)

Last edited by Cen; 08-03-14 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Images wouldn't load
Old 08-04-14, 10:19 AM
gems

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cen
I just finished a experiment using no adhesive tape, and starting from the stem.

1- I cut a piece of the additional padding layer where I was going to overlap the tape to avoid having a bump there.
2- Placement of the tape
6- This was the tricky part, but if you have enough tape left it is easier. Just drop it in there

7- I'm very pleased with the result, aesthetically at least, I'll keep you updated of how it performs. I think it depends a lot on the start being really tight, I left very little material under the first turn because the tape was just long enough for my handlebar, but I am sure that with more length the start of the tape will be even more secure.

I wrap from the stem on all my bikes-- I find it much easier--no taping b/c the end plug sets it in place. I refurb a lot of bikes--when wrapping a lot of bikes it cuts a couple minutes off of each bike. Also there's no chance of the tape unraveling. Also, I like the look with no elec. tape.
Old 08-04-14, 10:57 AM
leob1

Originally Posted by Cen

2- Placement of the tape

Brakes?
Old 08-04-14, 11:37 AM
Cen

Bikes: Cervélo T1 (n+1 in bio ;)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Brakes?
Track bike ;-)
Old 08-04-14, 04:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
We switched from taping top-down to bottom-up because the edges are not exposed this way. As a result, bottom-up jobs last longer.

I glue the ends with contact cement or similar.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.