Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Floor pumps....should we have to fix those, too?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Floor pumps....should we have to fix those, too?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 10:06 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I got something similar (Black and Decker brand, but same "market level") as a gift as well. I can beat it in terms of speed, but probably not endurance, with the Meidai! Working one tire of a car with the Meidai and one with the electric, I can be almost as fast as a man with a compressor. Who needs compressors?!
OK, I'll look at them. I just want reliable pressure, a good connect/release, base stability and a readable gauge. For more than a month.

I once could outwork my brothers and their wood splitter.
For about 10 minutes. With a spotter, maybe 15.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-30-20, 10:36 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
​​​​​​JagWire is kind of offensive...
....and why would you do that to the Newbaums? Gladys is so pleasant.
Kinda like shaving your legs. Once you start it’s hard to stop.
Old 09-30-20, 10:39 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
I just want reliable pressure...
After a certain age, we all do.
Old 09-30-20, 10:47 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by gugie
After a certain age, we all do.
and a gauge so I know when I'm done.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-01-20, 07:06 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
I've got a zefal husky I bought in '86. It has a wooden handle, pumps up to 230 psi (which is important to me because my race tubulars are 160 psi), it's reliable and repairable/rebuild-able. I don't think they make it anymore however the sks germany website has a kompresser model that is almost identical. If I had to gete me another floor pump I'd get it and pretty sure that's the last one I'd need.

Last edited by texaspandj; 10-01-20 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-01-20, 08:38 AM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
Speaking of the Meidai Top Super, this one is NOS...and OBO!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mei...EAAOSwX5hdhY98
Old 10-01-20, 08:44 AM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Silca. I've been using a Silca pista pump since the 80's and never had to service it. It was given to me so I really don't know how old it is. It can still get tubulars up over 150psi if needed.
On a fluke I got a new Silca pista and they work the same. The new one has the Hiro head and I think both heads work equally well.
If you pick one up used in really bad shape, Silca sells the parts to get them up and running again. The main leather gasket thing is only like $12.
Old 10-01-20, 09:11 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Here at home I use the air compressor for all my bikes but I do have a few pumps that get used from time to time. One is a cheap Bell that worked really good till the hose split, but the other is a Meidai Top Super that I restored two yrs ago that I love, installed a new Topeak head & hose, sand blasted painted and installed a random decal I had under the clear coat.

Glenn

Likes For Glennfordx4:
Old 10-01-20, 09:30 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
I seem to collect pumps, have many (some might say too many) floor pumps and frame pumps. Most are Silca, a couple have the fancy after-market Japan heads, most do not. I have other brands too. I fix whatever breaks, or sure try to, sometimes the only "fix" is to replace the hose and head with something the pump did not come with, and many gauges can be replaced with easily-found "industrial" gauges. I only use the AC-powered compressors on car tires (and power tools or blowing off saw dust, just my habits)
Old 10-01-20, 09:46 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,477 Times in 1,439 Posts
What do I like? I like my Specialized, but you won't buy that. I also like my Wrench Force, but they're not available anymore. Feedback Sports acquired Wrench Force, and it seems they don't make pumps. I liked my 35-year-old Silca floor pump, but the internal valve (that prevents it from sucking air from the tire) needs replacement, and I haven't yet figured out how to replace it. One of these days.

I think you should look at Lezyne, Park, and Zefal. They're all expensive, but you know they'll be good.

I also recently got a handheld battery powered pump which works much better than I had expected. I received it free in exchange for writing a review which is here.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-01-20, 09:53 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
I had a Meidai Top Super for about 30 years. There's a little rubber piece under the gauge that sprung a leak. I was able to patch it, but it finally gave out. Pre-internet, but I bet I could get the part nowadays.
Old 10-01-20, 10:45 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

gracias....

Originally Posted by 67tony
Speaking of the Meidai Top Super, this one is NOS...and OBO!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mei...EAAOSwX5hdhY98
Offer made, including to pick it up. I'll be there tonight or tomorrow.
Much appreciated if it works out.
OK, much appreciated either way.
Still S-10 on Chevelle?
Old 10-01-20, 10:47 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by noglider
I think you should look at Lezyne, Park, and Zefal. They're all expensive, but you know they'll be good. Looking at Lezyne….

I also recently got a handheld battery powered pump which works much better than I had expected. I received it free in exchange for writing a review which is here.
You know if I wrote a review, I'd likely be banned there, too. It's my way with words.
Old 10-01-20, 11:18 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,477 Times in 1,439 Posts
You know if I wrote a review, I'd likely be banned there, too. It's my way with words.
You would be banned where?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-01-20, 11:29 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You would be banned where?
Lower Latvia. Smells of elderberries.
Old 10-01-20, 11:47 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I have a cheap $9.99 pump from Harbor Freight. Difficult, no Presta, but it attaches/releases the Shrader/Presta adapter cleanly, and gets to the psi I need. I sort of hate it.
My lady has a nashbar pump that is at least 20 years old. It's never been serviced. It works fine, but the gauge is small and scarred and faded and difficult to see.

My main pump was a Topeak Joe Blow Pro. I thought it was great, until it needed servicing about 2 years ago. Now it stops at 80 psi.
Topeak doesn't service it any longer, but sent me a new head and O-ring, just in case the recent failure was the head or O-ring.
Turns out, the fitting on the pump body failed (leaked). It's about 7 years old. That sort of rules out Topeak.

To the Trek store (which was barren, by the way, two employees, maybe 10 bikes, no ability to browse with COVID),
despite vowing to never patronize Trek or Bontrager again. I'm a convenience *****. I say "I need a pump." They have 4 cheapo's and the Flash TLR.
I also pick up carbon rim brake pads--cork. (turns out they're howlers.)
I take the Flash TLR floor pump, able to inflate tubeless, etc with the charged cylinder. Digital readout. Accurate. Poor base, though.
I figure OK, now that I have 3 sets of tubeless wheels, maybe I can use this. I mistakenly figure price also equals quality.
Got it home, got it hooked up....the digital display is upside down.
I kid you not. In order to read it, I'd need to have eyes under my ass.
You'd think with my head up there, that'd be easy, but not for pumping tires.

Pump display is upside down. Back to the store.
"We don't have any more pumps."
"We don't have any other brake pads."
Whoopee. COVID?

No Topeak due to their inability to make a long-lasting pump.
No Bontrager since they apparently don't know up from down.
No Specialized.... I like the police.
The Harbor Freight model is a stroke-inducer above 60 psi.
My lady won't let her nashbar pump out of her sight.
I had a second-hand Silca that I'm now sure I should have held onto.
speedevil has a Lezyne that has a great angled head (thread-on).

What are folks using and why?

Is it normal to have to service your floor pump?
I kept my old Silca Pista. I put on a new hose maybe 20 years ago. I've had ot replace the pump head rubber ... is it a washer? Anyway have done that twice. I've never needed a new cork piston. I really like how well it works, and the fixes are way easier than patching a tubular. The fixes have been easy and I can just keep doing them.

I don't want the other problems you are having. If you are done with your Silca floor pump I'll buy it especially if it's the longer length Super Pista with the wooden T-handle.
Old 10-01-20, 12:07 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
WRT the OT of pump maintenance. Probably most home users are never going to have to do anything. This would depend on your choice of pump however. Many if not most modern consumer goods are designed to have a limited lifespan. As I said already, pumps being used constantly in a bike shop would require maintenance only very rarely. This usually consisted of pulling out the plunger, smearing some grease on it, and putting it back. That takes about 37.3 seconds. You do it when you notice the pump is starting to have trouble reaching higher pressures.

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I prefer the Rennkompressor but I wish it had a more accurate dial.... "that looks somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 or so. Or maybe 50. I guess that might be 35. **** it, close enough for government work."
That's worth noting about the Rennkompressor. The dial may be accurate, or not, hard to tell. Someday I'll bother to cross reference it with another gauge. The SKS floor pump gauge is difficult to read at lower pressures, because the pump is optimized for high pressure road tires and the gauge goes up to 240 psi. The dial calibration is super fine. At more modest pressures like say 40-50, the difference on the dial isn't much more than the thickness of the indicator needle.

Also, the PSI markings are hard to read since they are gray. Clearly some engineer at SKS was grumpy about having to include those archaic measurements based on thumbs and rocks, and would prefer that you think in ATM.

SKS does make pumps more appropriate for lower pressures, but they don't have the retro cool classic vibe of the orange Rennkompressor, made of steel and wood, as always. FWIW I don't have a problem using it to pump up the 2" 29er tires on my Clem. I'm not supersensitive about tire pressure. Close enough is good enough.
Old 10-01-20, 04:02 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Offer made, including to pick it up. I'll be there tonight or tomorrow.
Much appreciated if it works out.
OK, much appreciated either way.
Still S-10 on Chevelle?
I'm glad you got it!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-01-20, 04:04 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by scarlson
MEIDAI Top Super.

Never settle for less. These pumps will be around long after we're gone.

My grandpa got his in the '70s. He used it for bikes and cars until my grandma had her accident, then he used it for wheelchairs and cars. After grandma passed on and I went to college, he gave the pump to me. Now here I am, 15 years later, still using it. All it has required is a drop of oil now and then, and I just changed the rubber washer in the air chuck. For the first time ever.

The pump is nearly 50 years old. The gauge still works. The hose still works. The original leather is still in there.

Meidai meant it when they called this pump "top" and "super".
You convinced me. Bought the one 67tony showed. NOS. Picking it up tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-01-20 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 04:08 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by iab
Lower Latvia. Smells of elderberries.
But not Belgratzia. I spent a weekend there. The trolls and Ted’s cousins were fun. (What TV show, anyone?)

There is still civility left among ornery peoples.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-01-20 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 04:14 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
By the way- I should also mention, I had a Planet Bike pump- that thing was great- When our son moved up to St. Paul, he needed a pump- he's got it and uses it. He's had it since 2015 or so, I had it a few years before that.

To be fair, the only reason I like the Leszyne less is because of the head. The stock SKS head was problematic for me- SKS replaced it under warranty. I had no problems with the Planet Bike pump.

Looking at some of these aftermarket pump heads is pretty curiosity piquing ...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-01-20, 04:16 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
and a gauge so I know when I'm done.
Robbie, most of us can still tell when we're done.
Old 10-01-20, 06:02 PM
GMS 
Bike Dealer since 1972

Bikes: Some of the bikes I've collected: Raleighs ( about 20), Trek ( oldest 1978 770 Columbus tubes), Mercian, Condor, Bob Jackson, Falcon, Holdsworth, Jacques Anquetil, Bianchi, LeMond, Cannondale, Schwinn, Iver Johnson, Dunelt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 29 Posts

When I switched my road bikes to tubeless I got this Trek Flashcharge. No problems at all. I know they came out with a new model but did not know it was upside down. I like the head so much I a repaired a couple old Specialized by replacing hose with ones from Trek. I still have the gold Y bike. Do you have yours?
Old 10-01-20, 06:18 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,995 Times in 1,780 Posts
I'm using the same Specialized I bought at least 10 years ago. I pump up before every ride so it see's plenty of use. Haven't had to do a thing to it over the years. It does live inside though with all the bikes.
Old 10-01-20, 06:32 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by GMS
I still have the gold Y bike. Do you have yours?
Yes, Greg, I do. I wonder if Iron Bob Morrison’s daughter still has hers. I found it for her; helped her get it back when it was stolen.

I wore your white/orange/blue shop jersey last weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.