Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mountain / XC / Cross shoes for the road

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-23, 05:43 PM
somebikeguy 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 62 Posts

Hi all

I have a pair of road-oriented clip shoes and looking for a pair with good off-bike walkability and casual style. I'm going to be doing some events like the NYC 5-boro ride and want to have good power on the bike but not need to bring another pair of shoes to walk around / ride mass transit after. I have eggbeaters on my roadbike so I do need something with a reasonably stiff sole for power transfer to the little pedal. The Specialized 2FO Roost look nice and well priced. The Crankbothers mallet do too. I like that both look "street" not "bike". FWIW the ~40mi 5-boro tour is on the long side for me, I typically ride ~25mi for pleasure, not competition. Live on the shore of CT. Since my road shoes are very well ventilated I don't mind if this pair is a bit more shoulder season friendly.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/sh...t-clip-review/
https://www.crankbrothers.com/collec...c2b525ee&_ss=c
Old 04-03-23, 06:50 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
I've honestly never had a pair of recessed cleat shoes that were good for actually walking around in; yeah, they're a lot better than a traditional 3-bolt road shoe to walk in, but that's not saying they're what you'd want to wear to walk a few blocks to the store or do a day at the museum in. Therefore, if you really want to walk around, I'd suggest looking at platform pedals or cage pedals w/ toeclips, and find a shoe for those.

The problem with recessed cleats is that the metal cleat is only like a millimeter of the floor, and either is constantly making some contact with floor at some point as you roll through your step, or it's grinding on irregularities on the ground, crunching on tiny rocks and various detritus, which I find very annoying.

That said, The Pros' Closet has crazy-low closeout prices on Mavic shoes, so getting something like an XA model for $30 is probably as painless as trying out a recessed cleat shoe can be.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-03-23, 08:18 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
I have XC shoes with cleats, but if I am planning to walk more than about 12 ft., I bring a pair of sandals to change into.
Old 04-03-23, 10:54 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I wear MTB shoes with all my bikes and while I can walk in them, it's certainly no joy.
Old 04-04-23, 04:19 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I now use spd pedals on all of my bikes. Two pairs of shoes I really like are both Giro, Republic and Berm. The Republic is a standard lace up shoe, the Berm uses velcro straps. The spd's just all around work better for me as I get off the bike, more steps, than I used to. Never had a problem walking in them, but that is almost always short distances. I think the farthest walk with spd's was 2.5 miles, after a blow out. I had no issues with that.

The other real plus is the durability of the cleats. They take a long time, a lot of miles and steps, before they need replaced. One pair of Republics I have had for maybe 10 years and at least 20,000 miles, I replaced the cleats once.
Old 04-04-23, 06:19 AM
somebikeguy 

Appreciate all the feedback guys. I'm familiar with the kind-of-okay walk in MTB shoes. I have an old pair that are "soccer cleat" style and wondered if the more "skateboard" style shoes with full street style rubber soles would be an improvement. Understood they're not for a day walking on the museum parquet floor.

Thanks too for the tip at Pro's Closet - lotsa insane deals (for those with size 7 feet...)
Old 04-10-23, 12:23 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Five-Ten-Kest...A30WX2F13JNLPF
Old 04-10-23, 05:26 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I've honestly never had a pair of recessed cleat shoes that were good for actually walking around in; yeah, they're a lot better than a traditional 3-bolt road shoe to walk in, but that's not saying they're what you'd want to wear to walk a few blocks to the store or do a day at the museum in. Therefore, if you really want to walk around, I'd suggest looking at platform pedals or cage pedals w/ toeclips, and find a shoe for those.
This ^^^^^

Mtb clip shoes are a little better than road shoes for bathroom breaks but I would not want to have to walk home in them if I got a flat tire.

I recommend flat bottom 510 Pro shoes or something like that and big pedals that are least 100mm by 100mm.
Old 04-10-23, 10:43 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I'm not saying walking in mtb shoes is the most comfortable thing in the world but we do it all the time and it is fine people are over playing this. On flatish ground they aren't a problem at all, pushing up super steep trails is bit annoying since they are so stiff your heel tries to pull out but still doable. I've had race shoes and currently use 510 kestrels and the ones that suck are the race shoes and not because of stiffness, the 510s are stiff as hell too. The problem was more the tread pad on the heel is so small they were more like a low profile high heel shoe and unstable, easy to twist an ankle on rough ground. If I can hike and bike around in the woods I don't think walking a bit to a subway would be a problem.
Old 04-11-23, 12:25 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Wear whatever you are comfortable with. Plenty of people ride road bikes with MTB pedals and shoes. Some brands also make "touring" shoes which have recessed cleats but no studs/lugs on the sole like your typical MTB shoe.
Old 04-11-23, 04:20 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
I wear an older pair of lace up Specialized that have a similar tread pattern to the Recon line. They are just fine for walking around, driving... whatever. I often put them on at home... The cleats are completely recessed and don't touch the ground - and they last a long time.

I hate road shoes and only wear them because I have an older set of power meter pedals that I got for free - if not, SPD's would be on all of my bikes. All of my future bikes will have crank based power meters and SPD's...

I almost wrecked yesterday - had to stop fast at a light, put my foot down just a bit too early and my road shoe skidded over the tarmac - that could have been a full split, groin tearing, wreck... I just don't like road shoes.
Old 04-13-23, 03:17 PM
somebikeguy 

Took a chance on a well priced pair of Specialized Recon 1.0, Hi-Viz color (always appreciated).

I put my eggbeater cleats on, using the spacer for one and no spacer for the other. To my great joy and surprise, the no-spacer cleat is exactly as easy to get in and out of as the spacer. And sits above the bottom on the cleats. I set both sides up this way and went out for a ride = all good. I am pretty happy with this as it ought to mean long life for the known-fragile eggbeater cleats and makes walking pretty darn close to street level comfort.

Last edited by somebikeguy; 04-13-23 at 03:32 PM.
Likes For somebikeguy:
Old 04-16-23, 08:06 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
One more option for a two bolt cleat is the Adidas Velosamba. I have two pairs with SPD and have done 25 miles in them, no issues. Not bad for walking a block or two, the slight scraping would probably get annoying after that.

I’ll be doing the 5Boro in Looks, but I can ride to the start and ride home once I get off the ferry. Wouldn’t want to duck walk through Grand Central with those cleats!
Old 04-16-23, 07:58 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I use Time ATAC pedals on all but 1 of my bikes and use Shimano XC-7 shoes. Very stiff and very comfortable for me, easy to walk it. The bottoms are very grippy, so will not slip on slick floors.

Old 05-06-23, 06:57 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts