Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It is not really a race, is it?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

It is not really a race, is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 09:52 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
As a married man, when is your wife ever wrong?
+1

I've doing a fair number of organized rides this year (metric centuries, charity rides, centuries, group rides, etc.).

I was packing the car one night before a ride and my wife said, "I don't understand why you're doing all these races now."

I said, "They're not races, just rides."

She said, "Then why do you always tell me what your finishing time was?"
Old 07-22-08, 10:19 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,458 Posts
Maybe Velodiva or Red Rider will chime in here who are wives and road racers and see what they think.
Old 07-22-08, 10:58 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, a friendly sprint to a city limit sign or up a hill is always fun. I actually won a sprint Sunday for the first time in a long while. On a 163k populaire, my younger and stronger friend and I were riding side by side, talking, when I spotted a city limit sign up ahead. I was amazed at how fast I formulated a plan. I am a spinner while he is a masher, so I knew I could out-accelerate him for a short distance. I also knew that in my present feeble state, I would quickly reach my top speed, and he would zoom past and drop me like a bad habit. But his eyesight isn't great, so I got ready but showed nothing, and just kept talking beside him, waiting for him to spot the sign and make his move. Sure enough, when he finally took off, we were close enough to the sign that I out-sprinted him by a wheel.

Now, if I could just figure out how to use trickery to win a hill sprint...
Old 07-22-08, 12:14 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I no longer ride with one group- because of the 1 person that always has to get to the top of the hill first- has to always have his wheel in front of everyone else and always lets you know that he is faster and better than you. I now ride on my own and The only person I have to beat is myself- And that is not difficult.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-22-08, 12:38 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife was not with us on this ride, but when a group of us are together some of our "non-race" sprints and hill climbs are mentioned. She then will ask me if I have been racing, which she sees as a good way to get hurt. I always tell her I have not entered any races and do not intend to race. She will normally point out the fact that every person in the room knew who got to the top of which hill first or to some sign first and insists that is racing. I normally tell her it is just a bunch of guys in their late 50s and 60s and that would mean we no longer compete. I do think she believes me.
Old 07-22-08, 12:54 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Should have made this a survey. It looks like about thee to one it was racing.
Old 07-22-08, 04:23 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
Should have made this a survey. It looks like about thee to one it was racing.
Hi,

Except that it looks like those who compete in organized races say that the OP's circumstance is NOT a race while most of those who don't compete in organized races say it is a race.

As a so-called racer, I say it isn't a race. I might race someone up a hill, but it isn't a race -- get it?
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 07-22-08, 04:37 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ Plain as the nose on my face, you're a racist.
Old 07-22-08, 04:45 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
This goes back to defining the terms. Bicycle rqce, sprints, competition, organized, not organized, formal, informal. Pickup race, challenge, etc.
Old 07-22-08, 08:38 PM
Catweazle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cleave
Except that it looks like those who compete in organized races say that the OP's circumstance is NOT a race while most of those who don't compete in organized races say it is a race.

As a so-called racer, I say it isn't a race. I might race someone up a hill, but it isn't a race -- get it?
Originally Posted by Terrierman
^^ Plain as the nose on my face, you're a racist.

I'm not seeing the same thing Cleave is seeing in the comments made, by the way. I'm simply seeing what could be described as a form of 'snobbery' of sorts, which emanates from some sort of value judgement about relative worth of organised competition, and which tries to decree anything outside of organised competition as 'not racing'.

Is that sentiment being expressed only by those who compete in organised competition?
Is that sentiment one which predominates amongst people who participate in organised competition? Sorry, insufficient data!
Old 07-22-08, 09:23 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Racing... As soon as you care about where other riders are (how close is he, did he pass me, can I keep my lead), thats racing.

Nothing wrong with it, but it is what it is.
Old 07-22-08, 10:21 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cleave
Hi,

You know I forgot the OP came from the same state as Bill Clinton. He had a different way of looking at things as well.

When I was a kid still going to college I once made $500.00 not racing my car late at night in an industrial complex in Anaheim. At least that is what some of the people that got caught told the police.
Old 07-22-08, 10:59 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Given that this really is a matter of personal definition, I'm in the unfortunate position of agreeing with both sides.

Having ridden in several organized races (road, mountain and even BMX), I agree that there is a whole lot more to racing that just beating another rider to the top of a climb.

On the other hand, I've been in far more informal competitions (like the OP), and there is certainly an element (no, not Honda Element) of racing in these informal sprints and climbs well into each rider's person "Red Zone."

It's different, yes, but it's all good, it's all fun. My wife understands, and it sounds like the OP's wife does too!

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-23-08, 07:54 AM
SKYLAB
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh good lord! People do this ALL the time. Its how you get better and stronger. Were you racing to the top of that climb? Of course you were. Its a very natural response to being on the bike in that situation. And its also a hell of a lot better than "competing" with your friends and neighbors over who has the most expensive car, or the biggest garage. Every time we're out in a group you can hear the gears dropping as guys set themselves up to pound to the top of various climbs, especially if we're bunched up together. Not sure what problem your wife has with the idea of "racing" but this is not only harmless, but beneficial.
Old 07-23-08, 11:07 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Racing... As soon as you care about where other riders are (how close is he, did he pass me, can I keep my lead), thats racing.

Nothing wrong with it, but it is what it is.
Yeah, but there's an intensity thing that you're leaving out.

It's one thing to do a Saturday ride with a few friends and want to be the first back to the parking lot or first to the top of a hill. It's something else when you plan all week (or longer) preparing for an event. You probably have difficulty sleeping the night before the event. Then you spend 1/2 hour or so warming up followed by a 1/2 hour of standing around waiting for somebody to say "Go". By the time that you actually start, you're so keyed up that it's hard to ride smart and easy to overcook yourself. At some point you absolutely bust a gut until you have utterly nothing more to give and then you give a little bit more. Ultimately you either win or you have your spirit shattered. There's no third choice. If you didn't win and you aren't pissed off, you weren't raceing.
Old 07-23-08, 11:18 AM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
My wife and I do not agree on this. I would like to know what other people think. She says my riding groups race all the time. I say that racing is not a part of our riding and I do not plan to race.
The ride this afternoon is a good example.
We have a Monday evening group that is small, usually 7 or 8 riders, but we do enjoy this 25 to 30 mile ride every week. Today a new rider joined us and we always welcome new riders.

To get right to the point, I normally top out our biggest climb first. Sometimes I am challenged, but I have held my own for a while now. Today I was beaten on a shorter sprint type climb by the new rider. He was very smooth and confident as he went by me. I knew the challenge was there.

When we started up the main climb, which is a little over a mile long, the two of us worked our way to the front and rode together through the first couple of switchbacks. Finally he looked over at me and it was certain the time had come. Both of us shifted up and started working hard. We were wheel to wheel for a good distance as the sweat in the 100 degree heat was pouring. I was riding as well as I could up the hill, but was not gaining, so I decided to call to my legs for more power. I think he did the same thing.

It was no longer just sweat, as I guess I was entering the slobering stage, as I was not going to give up my hill and he was still beside me. I started to come out of the saddle, but knew I could not sustain my speed with the distance remaining, so I gave on that idea and stayed on the seat.

Finally I did not see him beside me, but I knew he was only a bike length back. This was not the time to let up. With only about a hundred yards to go I decided to call for any last kick from my legs. I was now past the slobering and into my nose causing these funny little bubbles.

I did go over the crest where I could ease up and look back. To my surprise I was close to 50 yards ahead. The new rider came up to thank me for a good ride and he looked forward to more of these rides.

My wife calls this racing. I do not think so. What's the verdict.
Your wife is a smart woman who is willing to tell the Emperor when he's not wearing clothes. She speaks truth.
Old 07-25-08, 03:03 PM
gmutt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it a race?

That's easy --
If you win, it was a race. If you lose, it was no big deal; just a "friendly competitive moment".