Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me solve the mystery frame . . .

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-16, 06:12 PM
unclefalcon

Bikes: Gazelle Toer Populair T3, Trek 460 Classic, Mystery frame commuter (in work)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I purchased this bike as what appeared to be a converted fixie, and the previous owner said it was a Schwinn. Now that I have all the paint stripped off, I'm having my doubts. I'm pretty sure it's not anything rare or valuable, but I'm sure curious what it is. Any experts out there that think they can help identify it?

Frame Weight: 5.7 lbs
Fork Weight: 1.75 lbs

The only number visible on the frame appears to be (a poorly stamped) "D399" on the seat tube, and the fork is stamped with a "3|G" . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Copy of IMG_3616.JPG (78.9 KB, 58 views)
IMG_3613.JPG (48.2 KB, 60 views)
IMG_3614.JPG (73.3 KB, 59 views)
IMG_3615.JPG (60.0 KB, 57 views)
IMG_3617.JPG (84.1 KB, 71 views)
IMG_3618.jpg (40.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-18-16, 06:34 PM
Aurorabucky

Bikes: 2000 Raleigh M50, 2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 1973 Peugeot UO8, 197X Mercier 300, 196X Bottecchia Giro D'Italia

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Huh.....That's an elaborate steerer marking.
Old 02-18-16, 07:14 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
One would think the only Schwinn possibility would be a Schwinn World manufactured by Giant of Taiwan.
Old 02-18-16, 07:41 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Looks kinda french/UO-8 to me.
Old 02-18-16, 07:44 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Looks kinda french/UO-8 to me.
Wouldn't a UO-8 have the serial # stamped on the NDS dropout? Or did they move them around from year to year?

To my eyes, the lug work and dropouts hint at late 70's mid-low range Japanese (Apollo?)

Although the arrangement (and low number) of the serial number on the seat tube kinda throws that idea out.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 02-18-16 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-18-16, 07:49 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
One would think the only Schwinn possibility would be a Schwinn World manufactured by Giant of Taiwan.
If that were the case, the number would be on the DS rear dropout, and it would start with a G. I have one sitting out on the porch, a 78, and it looks nothing like this.

Old 02-18-16, 08:18 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Fork is Tange. Marks like that can be found on Sekine models. 3 might correspondent to the year 73 or 83

Not saying at all that this is a Sekine, just the forks manufacturer.
Old 02-18-16, 08:58 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Wouldn't a UO-8 have the serial # stamped on the NDS dropout? Or did they move them around from year to year?
It's just the rake of the fork and the stamped rear drops remind me of those franco-boom bikes. I've probably owned 4 or 5 but I never cared enough to pay attention to their minutia. Those fork ends remind me of a German bike I had.
Old 02-19-16, 07:57 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
The bicycle is not a Sekine. The serial number format and location are incorrect. Based on the serial number, it is also not a Kuwahara manufactured Apollo or a Giant product.

The serial number format and location matches that of the (unknown) Japanese manufacturer of the boom era, entry level Centurion. The fork date code indicates a 1973 or 1974 model. The rear dropouts are also typical of this manufacturer during this era. However, the stay cap treatment does match that typically seen on the Centurion (LeMans) of this era. I also can't see any brake cable stops generally found on the entry level models. I'd like to see a good picture of the head lugs. I'd also like to know the required seat post size. I don't think it is Centurion, but it may be another brand from the same manufacturer.
Old 02-19-16, 09:11 AM
unclefalcon

Bikes: Gazelle Toer Populair T3, Trek 460 Classic, Mystery frame commuter (in work)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The bicycle is not a Sekine. The serial number format and location are incorrect. Based on the serial number, it is also not a Kuwahara manufactured Apollo or a Giant product.

The serial number format and location matches that of the (unknown) Japanese manufacturer of the boom era, entry level Centurion. The fork date code indicates a 1973 or 1974 model. The rear dropouts are also typical of this manufacturer during this era. However, the stay cap treatment does match that typically seen on the Centurion (LeMans) of this era. I also can't see any brake cable stops generally found on the entry level models. I'd like to see a good picture of the head lugs. I'd also like to know the required seat post size. I don't think it is Centurion, but it may be another brand from the same manufacturer.
Thank you! I'll get some better pictures of the head lugs tonight and post them. It had what appeared to be non-OEM clamp-on cable stops (Shimano). I'll see if my phone can get pictures of those too.
Old 02-19-16, 09:22 AM
T-Mar

I went back and looked at my Centurion serial number database and there were about a dozen entries with this serial number format. Linking back to the photos (where available) it looks like the the entry models from the very early 1970s used cable clips and that they went to stops circa 1974. However, none had the flat, beveled, stay caps. They all used rounded caps.
Old 02-19-16, 11:02 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Early 70's Japanese "gas pipe" carbon steel frame... Lightweight derailleur bikes were never very common in Japan. There were only a handful of bike manufacturers making them and most were for export with a multitude of brand names created by the importers in the target countries.

The stamped steel fork crown and stamped rear dropouts are the giveaways. Those early Japanese frames also tended to have the seat stays attached low on the seat lugs,

7.45 Lb. is pretty heavy for a frame that size. For example a standard production model alloy steel fork and frame would probably weigh around 6.5 Lbs. or less (Reynolds 531, Columbus, Tange, etc.).

It's going to have a pretty clunky ride because of the frame size combined with the heavy gage tubing.

verktyg

Chas.

Chas. ;-)

Old 02-19-16, 01:06 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Hello unclefalcon,

welcome to the forum.

I am like you. When I find a bicycle I am curious to know more about it, even if it is of no particular value or quality.

It is difficult to see the detail in the lugs and if there are any brazed on pieces to the frame. Also is there any indication of a headbadge?

Without more detailed pictures of the frame the best clue to identifying a brand name is the serial number and its location and comparing this to other bicycle frames with similar serial numbers.
There are more than one brand names that had this format of serial number and location.

As stated by @T-Mar Centurion is one possibility. I have a 1974 Centurion LeMans, with the same serial number format and location. Your frame does not match my LeMans. As noted by T-Mar the seat stay caps are incorrect, among other differences.

Centurion had a Sport 5 model with this type of seat stay cap. But the only example of this that I have seen is a juvenile bike with24 inch wheels. It also has several brazed on pieces.

As you are in Washington state there are a couple of other possibilities, again based on the serial number.

Boyes and Rosser Ltd (BRC) of New Westmister, BC. The Alpine Sport model sometimes had the same seat stay caps. Again it had pieces brazed onto the frame.

Monshee and Eliminator brand names by Norco (originally from Burnaby, BC).

The fork. Most or all of the above bicycles had a fork with a chrome cap on the crown. Your fork does not have this, but it looks like there is the shadow of a cap that is no longer there.

Anyway, enjoy the project.

Last edited by Hummer; 02-19-16 at 01:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-19-16, 11:44 PM
unclefalcon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummer
Hello unclefalcon,

welcome to the forum.

I am like you. When I find a bicycle I am curious to know more about it, even if it is of no particular value or quality.

It is difficult to see the detail in the lugs and if there are any brazed on pieces to the frame. Also is there any indication of a headbadge?

Without more detailed pictures of the frame the best clue to identifying a brand name is the serial number and its location and comparing this to other bicycle frames with similar serial numbers.
There are more than one brand names that had this format of serial number and location.

As stated by @T-Mar Centurion is one possibility. I have a 1974 Centurion LeMans, with the same serial number format and location. Your frame does not match my LeMans. As noted by T-Mar the seat stay caps are incorrect, among other differences.

Centurion had a Sport 5 model with this type of seat stay cap. But the only example of this that I have seen is a juvenile bike with24 inch wheels. It also has several brazed on pieces.

As you are in Washington state there are a couple of other possibilities, again based on the serial number.

Boyes and Rosser Ltd (BRC) of New Westmister, BC. The Alpine Sport model sometimes had the same seat stay caps. Again it had pieces brazed onto the frame.

Monshee and Eliminator brand names by Norco (originally from Burnaby, BC).

The fork. Most or all of the above bicycles had a fork with a chrome cap on the crown. Your fork does not have this, but it looks like there is the shadow of a cap that is no longer there.

Anyway, enjoy the project.
Wow! Good info! Yeah, it's going to be a 5-speed Sturmey commuter . . . and a little more practical than my 60lb (all up weight). 3-speed Gazelle T3.

I removed a ring from the fork before I had it chemically stripped, that might be the cap you're talking about. I'll take some more pics and post them shortly.
Old 02-20-16, 01:13 AM
burnfingers
Rider

Bikes: 1961 Mercier, 1968 Chiorda, 1992 KHS Summit

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The frame is likely mid 70s given that it has stamped dropouts on a lugged frame, but it's interesting... The rear dropouts remind me of the varsity with the flared eyelets, but the fork crown and seatpost lug reminds me of a 'schwinn approved'
Volare...

So idk. Schwinn is a solid contender here, but it could be something else. What color was it originally? Do you have any pictures from before it was stripped? What components were on it that could be original? Could you post a few clear shots of the lugs and check the seatpost size and what the BB threading is? I think we can ID this with a little more info.
Attached Images
3678677418_aa4e88d035_o.jpg (102.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-20-16, 01:21 AM
unclefalcon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by burnfingers
The frame is likely mid 70s given that it has stamped dropouts on a lugged frame, but it's interesting... The rear dropouts remind me of the varsity with the flared eyelets, but the fork crown and seatpost lug reminds me of a 'schwinn approved'
Volare...

So idk. Schwinn is a solid contender here, but it could be something else. What color was it originally? Do you have any pictures from before it was stripped? What components were on it that could be original? Could you post a few clear shots of the lugs and check the seatpost size and what the BB threading is? I think we can ID this with a little more info.
When I got the bike, someone had used a rattle can to spray it red, but the original color was a baby/powder blue, which I (sadly) didn't take any pictures of.
Old 02-20-16, 01:25 AM
unclefalcon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More pictures:
Attached Images
IMG_3632.jpg (92.8 KB, 23 views)
IMG_3633.jpg (91.1 KB, 21 views)
IMG_3634.jpg (92.2 KB, 22 views)
IMG_3635.jpg (90.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-20-16, 01:29 AM
unclefalcon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was in the frame, but I have no idea if it was original. Maybe you can tell the thread from this?
Attached Images
IMG_3636.jpg (90.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-20-16, 01:31 AM
unclefalcon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by burnfingers
What components were on it that could be original?
I think the wheels were the only components that were - 27x1.25 tires on steel rims.
Old 02-20-16, 01:39 AM
unclefalcon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe these are the original rims: ARAYA 27x1 1/4 w/o HP.
Attached Images
IMG_3638.jpg (82.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-20-16, 03:28 AM
burnfingers
Rider

Bikes: 1961 Mercier, 1968 Chiorda, 1992 KHS Summit

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the sealed BB is definitely not original, but if it fits it does tell us the BB is 68mm BSA (English). a 1" seat tube suggests this came with a 1 piece crankset originally, reinforcing the 70s vibe. Araya rims were not uncommon on other brands like Nishiki and Raleigh, but a lot of 70s
and 80s Schwinns are known to have come with them. The models I'd look into are the traveler, sport, spirit, le tour, paramount, tourist, supersport, varsity, and the voyageur, along with the 'world' editions, 2nd and 3rd editions, etc. at a glace all of those models can be found with a very similar fork crown, BB, and dropouts, but I haven't found an exact match to the headset yet.

Whatever it is, make it beautiful again!
Old 02-20-16, 10:56 AM
T-Mar

I believe we are pretty safe in saying that this is not a Schwinn, Nishiki or Raleigh, as the serial number format and location does not match any of their known manufacturers.
Old 02-20-16, 11:16 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by unclefalcon
More pictures:
No surprise here, only confirmation. Definitely hi-tensile steel based on a 1" inner diameter for the seat tube. However, there are no rivet holes in the locations used for a Centurion head badge during this period.