Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

High spline free hub.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

High spline free hub.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-22, 03:21 PM
crakkers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High spline free hub.

I have acquired through a very poor deal by some dishonest seller a set of good quality wheels that uses a free hub that has stepped and extra high splines. This means that the cassette that I want to fit and told would fit, does not. Basically the cassette fits on to the hub for the first 10mm or so then the splines increase in height. Research leads me to understanding that 6700 cassettes will fit, and only 6700. I’m looking for a cassette with a large sprocket, 30,32,34. The cassette I tried to fit is a 11-34. I can’t find anything like that in a 6700 series cassette. Can anyone advise if any other cassette series or make will fit? Another idea I have is to machine the hub body down using a lathe so the splines are a constant height. Does anyone have any comments on this idea??

All sensible and helpful responses will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-22, 03:53 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Any 6600 or 7800 cassette should work. Or you can swap out the freehub for a 7801 model
Old 07-23-22, 04:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I'd just buy a new hub with 10 speed free hub and have the wheel re-built at a bike shop. Shouldn't be too much labor, however if you can't match the flange size you'll have to get all new spokes more than likely. Spokes will add to the cost. I don't think much of removing material. I did machinist work for a while too. While I know it's easy to do if you have a lathe, you can't be certain the remainder of the free hub body will be strong enough to last over time.

You do have 10 speed shifters don't you? CS-6700 that you mentioned is a 10 speed cassette IIRC.

You have tried to get your money back from the seller haven't you? If eBay or if bought with a CC, PayPal or other means there is some recourse that favors you.

Can't imagine what free hub you got that won't fit anything but a Shimano CS-6700. Pics can be uploaded to the Gallery here on BF and just let us know they are there.

Welcome to BF.

Oh... The CS-6700 does come in a 12-30 if you have to have 30T or larger. These people have one if you are in the USA.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=32154

You don't by chance have campagnolo one thing and shimano other do you? They won't go together. Though I'm stumped about this step on the splines unless it's the very end of the body.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-23-22 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-24-22, 02:46 AM
crakkers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for replies so far. The issue is the expense. The cassettes are available but expensive. An alternative hub also appears expensive. The wheels are Easton EA 90s and the hub I think is a R4 red. I am amazed at the expense but that’s down to my ignorance and trusting a dodgy seller. Does anyone know if an affordable free hub body is available that will fit the Easton wheels?
Old 07-24-22, 04:37 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I think you need to put numbers to what you’re willing to spend, affordable is relative.
Old 07-24-22, 12:21 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
The 10S only hub that you have not only has the taller splines but also a 1mm shorter body than the 8/9 speed version.

It will accept 5600, 5700, 6600, 6700, 7800 and 7900 cassettes that start with 11 or 12.
It will accept 10S BBB cassettes, the SunRace deep spline cassettes, I think Miche and a couple of other brands.

No SRAM, no MTB, no Tiagra, Ultegra juniores or 11S cassettes.
Old 07-24-22, 10:07 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
When you were talking to the guy before the sale, did you specifically tell him that you wanted to fit a 10 speed mountain bike cassette? Or just that you wanted to fit a 10 speed cassette? If you told him exactly what you wanted to fit, I'd get my money back if possible.
Old 07-25-22, 03:52 AM
crakkers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
When you were talking to the guy before the sale, did you specifically tell him that you wanted to fit a 10 speed mountain bike cassette? Or just that you wanted to fit a 10 speed cassette? If you told him exactly what you wanted to fit, I'd get my money back if possible.

thank you for your comprehensive reply. I took my bike to the sale and asked specifically if the weeks etc would fit. They don’t. He is now awol!