Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

wattbike Trainer

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

wattbike Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-23, 11:20 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
wattbike Trainer

There was a thread recently about indoor trainer bikes, and wattbike was mentioned.

Well, wattbike is having a Black Friday sale. Tempted.

Old 11-18-23, 12:43 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I’ve always wondered why the Atom has an aero seatpost?
Old 11-18-23, 01:36 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I’ve always wondered why the Atom has an aero seatpost?
Um, stiffness? You can move the saddle fore and aft quite a lot, so a fat seat post makes some sense.

Not sure why it is tapered on the front, though. Maybe to keep your legs from hitting it? Or just because it looks cool.

Old 11-18-23, 01:55 PM
PeteHski

It was a joke, but I find some stationary bikes uncomfortably stiff. This looks like it might fall into that category. One of the things I like about my Kickr Bike is that it feels more like a real bike with a little controlled compliance. We have another gym bike (Matrix U50) which is rock solid and makes for a harsh ride. Just something to consider with stationary bikes.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-18-23, 02:25 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
The Team USA sprint team has numerous Watt Bikes at the indoor track at Velo Sports Center in Carson. Every time I have seen them use them, it is for puke intervals. One can push oneself harder on the Watt bike became if you become sick, you puke and do have to worry about crashing.

Looking at the literature, it looks like any other integrated indoor cycling bike but maybe more accurate and set up for training. If it does not workout out, it has a lot of places to hang you clothes after an outdoor ride to dry.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 11-18-23, 02:59 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Hermes
The Team USA sprint team has numerous Watt Bikes at the indoor track at Velo Sports Center in Carson. Every time I have seen them use them, it is for puke intervals. One can push oneself harder on the Watt bike became if you become sick, you puke and do have to worry about crashing.

Looking at the literature, it looks like any other integrated indoor cycling bike but maybe more accurate and set up for training. If it does not workout out, it has a lot of places to hang you clothes after an outdoor ride to dry.
The Atom is comparable to other Smart Bikes like the Wahoo, Tacx and Stages. They all have their pros and cons. DCRainmaker has done the most comprehensive reviews on all of them at some point. IIRC the first gen Atom had some major flaws, but I think the gen 2 was much improved.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/10/...rt-review.html
Old 11-18-23, 06:32 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
The Team USA sprint team has numerous Watt Bikes at the indoor track at Velo Sports Center in Carson.
I wonder: do they have the Wattbike Pro, or the Wattbike Atom? I would think most track sprinters use the Pro.
Old 11-18-23, 08:05 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by RChung
I wonder: do they have the Wattbike Pro, or the Wattbike Atom? I would think most track sprinters use the Pro.
It is probably the pro version.
Old 11-18-23, 08:14 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Yeah, it is the pro version. Here is a former Team USA and 6 day race sprinter on the Wattbike. Note the guy that has to HOLD the bike. I think Terry can probably forgo the holder.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-18-23 at 10:43 PM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 11-18-23, 11:44 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

1. The bucket is a nice touch.
2. I'm not sure the Atom is designed/built for the same target audience as the Pro.
Old 11-19-23, 01:20 AM
PeteHski

The Wattbike Pro is a much older gen standalone commercial gym bike with its own console. There are a lot of them here in UK gyms. The Atom is designed more for home use as a Smart bike with Zwift, Rouvy etc.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-19-23, 08:07 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

We have the Stages bike at the Lifetime Fitness. In general, most of the bikes work but some do not. They seem to need a lot of maintenance.

If I were going to get a stationary bike, my concern would be reliability of the electronics. Of course, one could say the same thing about smart trainers. Although, the Stages bike seems to have more trouble with the screen. Many times unplugging the Stages bike and reconnecting fixes the problem. But it is a pain in the ass.

And there is bike fit. At least when I put my road or TT bike on the trainer, the fit is perfect.
Old 11-19-23, 09:29 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The Wattbike Pro is a much older gen standalone commercial gym bike with its own console. There are a lot of them here in UK gyms. The Atom is designed more for home use as a Smart bike with Zwift, Rouvy etc.
Yup. The Pro was designed to be very realistic in capturing the acceleration component and aero drag component of cycling, and ignored the slope component: for this, it has a big flywheel and a (shrouded) wind turbine, and they work very well, very realistically. That's why they're popular for track athletes, who don't usually worry about slope. Most smart bikes and trainers really really wanted to capture the slope component so they could simulate climbing and they do this with electronically controlled load generators rather than big flywheels and propellers. Flywheels and turbines are a "passive" way to control load, while smart load generators are an "active" way to control load. However, the load generators in smart bikes and trainers don't tend to mimic the change in kinetic energy very well. Different audiences, different purposes, so different designs.

I've occasionally wondered whether the dearth of sprint segments in the original Watopia but lots of climbs had to do with the difficulty in getting the accelerations right.

(Anecdotally, I've heard some recent grumblings about Stages' customer support, both for their cranks and their SB20 smart bike. I have no first hand experience with either).
Likes For RChung:
Old 11-20-23, 04:22 AM
PeteHski

Yup. The Pro was designed to be very realistic in capturing the acceleration component and aero drag component of cycling, and ignored the slope component: for this, it has a big flywheel and a (shrouded) wind turbine, and they work very well, very realistically. That's why they're popular for track athletes, who don't usually worry about slope. Most smart bikes and trainers really really wanted to capture the slope component so they could simulate climbing and they do this with electronically controlled load generators rather than big flywheels and propellers. Flywheels and turbines are a "passive" way to control load, while smart load generators are an "active" way to control load. However, the load generators in smart bikes and trainers don't tend to mimic the change in kinetic energy very well. Different audiences, different purposes, so different designs.

I've occasionally wondered whether the dearth of sprint segments in the original Watopia but lots of climbs had to do with the difficulty in getting the accelerations right.

(Anecdotally, I've heard some recent grumblings about Stages' customer support, both for their cranks and their SB20 smart bike. I have no first hand experience with either).
The Stages SB20 also uses a passive heavy flywheel, which limits its response in slope simulation and ERG mode. But some people like the feel of it and I believe it is popular with Zwift crit racers.

The Wattbike Atom V1 also used a conventional flywheel, but the V2 moved to an active system like Wahoo and Tacx use on their bikes. Although it doesn’t have a motor to simulate descents like the others.

Last edited by PeteHski; 11-20-23 at 04:44 AM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-20-23, 09:18 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Well, since I clicked on the Wattbike link in this thread and now I am seeing ads in my Facebook feed. To be fair, I am building Porsches on line and seeing Porsche ads as well.

terrymorse Did you buy one?

Last edited by Hermes; 11-20-23 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-20-23, 11:09 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

terrymorse Did you buy one?
No, I decided to keep using my Zwift Hub for another season. My rational brain said I don't do enough indoor riding to justify the expense. Also, the 160 mm cranks that can't be changed gave me pause.

Stupid rational brain.

Old 11-20-23, 11:43 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

At that price point, if Wattbike is targeting more serious riders they should offer more crank length options. I think they are targeting Peloton customers that may or may not care about perfect fit or even ride on the road.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 11-20-23, 02:19 PM
PeteHski

At that price point, if Wattbike is targeting more serious riders they should offer more crank length options. I think they are targeting Peloton customers that may or may not care about perfect fit or even ride on the road.
I agree it is a very odd limitation. But I really doubt they are targeting Peloton customers with this bike. Their marketing is more toward dedicated cyclists in two minds about a high-end smart trainer vs smart bike. They actually market the Wattbike Pro more as a general fitness machine these days. Probably because it has no smart features, making it unsuitable for Zwift etc.
Old 11-20-23, 02:57 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
There was a thread recently about indoor trainer bikes, and wattbike was mentioned.

Well, wattbike is having a Black Friday sale. Tempted.
which bike?
Old 11-20-23, 04:53 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by pdlamb
which bike?
The wattbike Atom.

Old 11-21-23, 09:19 AM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yes, that's what I'm asking. Which bike?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-21-23, 09:31 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Yes, that's what I'm asking. Which bike?
No, wattbike.
Likes For RChung:
Old 11-21-23, 09:44 AM
pdlamb

No, wattbike.
Next you're going to tell me which is on second.
Old 11-21-23, 10:00 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Next you're going to tell me which is on second.
Naturally.
Old 11-21-23, 10:01 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

PeteHski I just find the Wattbike Atom odd. It would not appeal to me for the reasons I have stated before. I have a Garmin Smart trainer and I can put any bike on it and do intervals / ride endurance being in my own head or hook it up to a platform such as Zwift. I can store the smart trainer easily versus a complete exercise bike.

Here is an article from Forbes detailing a guy during the pandemic that chose the Atom. https://www.forbes.com/sites/paullam...h=7c4e1cd56bb3. He says it will also work with the Peloton platform although he did not recommend it. Did not say why. However, Peloton must have been in the mix for his choices but he preferred the broader capability of the Atom accessing other 3rd party platforms.

Here is another article comparing Peloton and Zwift as Aps. https://www.garagegymreviews.com/peloton-vs-zwift How to connect to the platforms then is the choice of stationary bike Peloton, Atom or other and of course a smart trainer. I suspect branding then plays the important role as well as friends to determine if one buys a Peloton bike or Wattbike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.