Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

E.R. Visit

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 04:42 AM
suzcruzrides

Bikes: Trek Neko SL 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E.R. Visit

Yesterday I made a visit to the local E.R. I have not been feeling well for a few days & was having a weird unexplainable feeling in my left arm. Given my family history (both parents died from congestive heart failure) & my age I thought it should be checked out.

The nurse gave me a hospital gown & left the room while I changed. When she came back she explained a few things they would check. Just before she left she grinned & suggested I turn the gown around - I had the opening in the front. She said, "You don't come here often, do you?" I just shook my head. She said they can tell who the frequent visitors are.

The doctor came in, asked me some questions & I tried to explain what was going on. I really didn't know how to describe what I was feeling. He listened to my heart & lungs. I told him I work out just about everyday, ride my bike, do step aerobics, walk, lift weights. He said my heart & lungs sounded great & my heart rate was that of someone who works out everyday. That was good to know.

They did x-rays of my neck, long story short, I have arthritis in my neck which is putting pressure on the nerves and causing the odd tingling sensation in my arm.

Knowing the concern I had about my heart, he reassured me my heart is fine & essentially, every time I get on my bike it's like taking a stress test. He said I was overall very healthy & keep doing what I'm doing. At least it put my mind at ease since I was concerned about stroke or heart attack.
Old 04-29-14, 05:33 AM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow you have my sympathy. I tend to ignore symptoms til they get in my face then I panic.
Anyway I'm glad you're okay heart-wise.

Charlie
Old 04-29-14, 07:22 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
OP - glad to hear the good news. Good on'ya for taking care of business knowing your history.

Originally Posted by Ursa Minor
I tend to ignore symptoms til they get in my face then I panic.
[soapbox]Charlie - it's just a co-pay. You know your body. If it ain't right, GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!!! Yes, I feel very strongly about this. 3 years ago, I had a "knot" in my right leg, though it didn't feel quite like a knot in a muscle. I went to the doctor 3 days after I first felt it. At that point, I was more like you, and I'm amazed I gave up my man-card and went to the doc so soon. Long story short, my ONCOLOGIST told me that had I waited much longer, even as much as a week or two, my treatment would have been "extremely difficult with a very different prognosis". Now, my attitude is "it's just a copay". [/soapbox]
Old 04-29-14, 07:25 AM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks PhotoJoe. I'm much better about taking care of my health since I started on the recovery path 3 years ago.

Charlie
Old 04-29-14, 07:26 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks PhotoJoe. I'm much better about taking care of my health since I started on the recovery path 3 years ago.

Charlie
Glad to hear it!
Old 04-29-14, 09:20 AM
suzcruzrides

Bikes: Trek Neko SL 2014

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow you have my sympathy. I tend to ignore symptoms til they get in my face then I panic.
Anyway I'm glad you're okay heart-wise.

Charlie
I'm always the first one to tell other people they should get checked out right away but the last one to take my own advice.
After seeing what my parents went through, I decided not to wait.
Glad you didn't wait photojoe!