Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to symmetrical dual pivot brakes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 12:51 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I have a set of 105 dual pivot (asymmetrical) brakes circa 2007 which are excellent. I’m interested in the symmetrical dual pivot versions BR-5800

my questions for anyone who has experience with this:

1) is there a noticeable improvement in braking performance?

2) is there more clearance when using 28cm tires?

3) are you happy you made the change?
Old 02-03-21, 01:00 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The 5800 series dual pivot brakes are designed for longer pull levers than the older pre 5700 models. They won't work very well with older levers which will be prone to bottoming out
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 02-03-21, 01:21 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Originally Posted by alcjphil
The 5800 series dual pivot brakes are designed for longer pull levers than the older pre 5700 models. They won't work very well with older levers which will be prone to bottoming out
if I understand correctly, it is possible I won’t get full clamp force when I engage the brakes because the levers don’t travel far enough. Correct?
Old 02-03-21, 03:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
If you want a good upgrade, get some good pads and shoes (SwissStop or KoolStop) get some good cables and housing (Jagwire Pro or Elite Link) and that will be one of the best upgrades you can do and super cheap. If you want the best brakes get the Cane Creek eeBrakes which will be a huge upgrade and something I use and love but honestly if your brakes are functional and of decent quality go with the above upgrades and save the money.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-03-21, 03:50 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by Symox
if I understand correctly, it is possible I won’t get full clamp force when I engage the brakes because the levers don’t travel far enough. Correct?
The older levers don't pull enough cable to fully operate the brakes
Old 02-03-21, 04:18 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you want a good upgrade, get some good pads and shoes (SwissStop or KoolStop) get some good cables and housing (Jagwire Pro or Elite Link) and that will be one of the best upgrades you can do and super cheap. If you want the best brakes get the Cane Creek eeBrakes which will be a huge upgrade and something I use and love but honestly if your brakes are functional and of decent quality go with the above upgrades and save the money.
agreed - I updated my cables and pads to Kool Stops. Probably will do the Jagwire housing soon.
Likes For Symox:
Old 02-03-21, 04:21 PM
Symox

The older levers don't pull enough cable to fully operate the brakes
Wouldn’t that be a matter of setup? Couldn’t you clamp the cable such that the pads are as close to the rims as the nonsymetrical brakes were and be ok?

or do the brakes need a lot more travel?
Old 02-03-21, 04:45 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Wouldn’t that be a matter of setup? Couldn’t you clamp the cable such that the pads are as close to the rims as the nonsymetrical brakes were and be ok?

You might be able to, but you would probably have WAY more stopping power. Could be good or bad.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 02-03-21, 04:50 PM
alcjphil

The brakes require levers that pull more cable than your old levers do. Even if the brake pads are almost touching the rim, your old levers may still bottom out and if your wheels go so much as 1 mm out of true the pads will rub
Old 02-03-21, 05:37 PM
Symox

The brakes require levers that pull more cable than your old levers do. Even if the brake pads are almost touching the rim, your old levers may still bottom out and if your wheels go so much as 1 mm out of true the pads will rub
that’s exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get. Thank you for your help. By the way I looked it up, I have ST-5600/ST-R700 series levers.
Old 02-15-21, 05:02 PM
Symox

Update: Thanks to all the responses I didn't change my brakes. I upgraded the pads to KoolStop salmon (they work GREAT in the rain) and cable/housings to Jagwire Pro.

Brakes work fantastic now!!!
Likes For Symox:
Old 02-15-21, 07:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Update: Thanks to all the responses I didn't change my brakes. I upgraded the pads to KoolStop salmon (they work GREAT in the rain) and cable/housings to Jagwire Pro.

Brakes work fantastic now!!!
I keep saying it and it always does the trick. Good shoes, pads, cables and housing will improve most any brake and not cost a ton. Plus swapping things will also give you a chance to make sure everything is nicely adjusted so it is always a win win.

To anyone out there, looking for cheap upgrades that actually do something those will work. Make sure the shoes are stiff and the pads come from a Stop (Kool or Swiss) and good compressionless housing and stainless cables without coating ideally polished will improve even a lower end brake (which 105 isn't). I will keep shouting it from the hill sides because it works.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-17-21, 02:45 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
The new generation brakes do have way more clearance. I had to upgrade my front from 7700 to 9000 to use modern aero rims {only a 23mm tubular on the front).

I do enjoy setting up this brake more, knowing that both pads are going to do the same thing as they wear; that asymmetry in the older type irked me.

Oh, and both my 7400 single-pivot rear and the 9000 seem to have a pretty suitable leverage for my Red levers, so that stuff about them being incompatible with older levers sounds a bit overblown to me.