Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava Changes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava Changes

Old 05-27-20, 09:21 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
The top 10 leaderboard is completely useless in a lot of places. Most of the segments I ride have way more than the top 10 (so flagging is a waste of time) made up of people averaging 45mph uphill...
It doesn't take long to flag them. You get 20 flags per day, use them if appropriate.
Strava should have a three strikes and you are out policy for cheaters. I find I often flag the same few characters that are obviously cheating.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 05-27-20, 10:05 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Interestingly, most people aren't talking about the Strava story as an example of the dysfunctional start-up and venture capital economy that currently prevails.

Early days? Make your service free to build a customer base. Profitability doesn't matter, as VC money will keep you going and make you feel like kings of the world. Eventually, however, you do have to start making money (or stop hemorrhaging it), and that's where the problems start. Chief among them, copycat competitors that are still in the early stages and can beat you on price because they aren't worried about profitability yet and have different VC money behind them. And so the cycle repeats, on and on and on...

If you are lucky, you become a big name and get some blown up valuation before things fall apart (see WeWork). If not, you just fade into obscurity (see Friendster).

Originally Posted by Leinster
The Strava guys addressed that in their statement, I think. They said that they've tried ads in the feed and product promotions, and got pushback from users each time. You have to give tehm credit for maintaining such an ad-free social media platform in this day and age; compared to my Bookface or instagram feeds the lack of people trying to sell me stuff is quite refreshing on Strava.
Well, if they clearly communicated the alternative (watch ads or pay, your choice), that might have been different. And while they might not have had ads, there was still some nonsense like messages promoting premium or some new feature, that were basically like ads anyway (just a block of space to ignore).

Also, not all ads are created equal, at least in my eyes. I honestly don't mind ads from Campagnolo, Sidi, Fizik, Daccordi, or any bike related product. Sometimes it's actually nice to see an ad showing you a new product.

Originally Posted by noisebeam
It doesn't take long to flag them. You get 20 flags per day, use them if appropriate.
Strava should have a three strikes and you are out policy for cheaters. I find I often flag the same few characters that are obviously cheating.
It's not at all worth the time and effort considering how many there are here. The obvious ones with ridiculous speeds are easy, but then there are the e-bike people that are harder to suss out without taking a closer look at their ride. Some of them actually put "e-bike" or something similar int the title (one guy actually included the number of the bus route he was taking, although I still have no idea why you would record a bus ride on Strava), but it's simply not worth the time or the effort.
Old 05-28-20, 06:25 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I,ve been using GC, since buying my first Garmin Unit. GC sends my ride info to Strava anyway, so ok, but not paying. KB.
Old 06-04-20, 10:36 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
I was just reading their email and was surprised to find out that they as a company have yet to make money.
Anyway, I was wondering how many of you pay for their subscription and why... also if any of you plan to pay for it now at $5 a month.
today everything is showing

There is no Segment on this Route
Old 06-04-20, 02:20 PM
takozukuri
human being

Bikes: 7.3 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I took the plunge!
Likes For takozukuri:
Old 06-07-20, 08:55 PM
greyfox47

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I am guessing you got grandfathered into a lower price. I just checked and they want $60/year from me.

Not gonna do it.
My last two years have been $60 each. I guess if I continue (and I probably will), it’ll be another $60.
Old 06-08-20, 06:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Why don't we just stick to how the cheap-asses are pissed that they took away detailed Segment information, mmmm kay?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-08-20, 07:37 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I’ve been a paying member of Strava for quite a few years. I like the simplicity, the kudos, etc. cycling for me is about the only social endeavor I have. The family does not enjoy going out or seeing others so my group rides (now that we have started again), and solo rides these last few months were fun to have Strava and stay engaged.

ive used other apps. All well and good but my preference is Strava. One of the best features for me albeit not worth the annual fee is that when I travel I search for routes where I’m going and load them onto the Garmin for turn by turn. When I was in rural VA never traveling, mapping didn’t matter one iota but now it’s been really handy.

when in LA area last year training every other week I’d bring my bike with me and found a different route every day right out of my hotel. Awesome!
Likes For robbyville:
Old 06-08-20, 01:30 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Off-Topic Discussion

Ladies and gentlemen, I understand the desire of many of you to speak out at this time when pressing issues are confronting all of us. But we must keep in mind that this is a cycling forum, and although on many occasions we might feel the urge to stray toward discussing social issues or even what we had for dinner last night, you must resist the urge and rein it in. Just because Strava decided to make a statement on current social events does not mean that topic qualifies for discussion here. Please keep the discussions strictly on cycling content, that’s what we all come here for and that’s the way management intends it to be. Thank you for your cooperation.

I’m going to make an effort to remove the off-topic posts and allow the thread to remain open. However if the discussion drifts off-topic again we will have no choice but to close it for good.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 06-08-20, 02:10 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Or become acquired by some other profitable company where your niche becomes a feature and not a stand alone product.

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Interestingly, most people aren't talking about the Strava story as an example of the dysfunctional start-up and venture capital economy that currently prevails.

Early days? Make your service free to build a customer base. Profitability doesn't matter, as VC money will keep you going and make you feel like kings of the world. Eventually, however, you do have to start making money (or stop hemorrhaging it), and that's where the problems start. Chief among them, copycat competitors that are still in the early stages and can beat you on price because they aren't worried about profitability yet and have different VC money behind them. And so the cycle repeats, on and on and on...

If you are lucky, you become a big name and get some blown up valuation before things fall apart (see WeWork). If not, you just fade into obscurity (see Friendster).

Well, if they clearly communicated the alternative (watch ads or pay, your choice), that might have been different. And while they might not have had ads, there was still some nonsense like messages promoting premium or some new feature, that were basically like ads anyway (just a block of space to ignore).

Also, not all ads are created equal, at least in my eyes. I honestly don't mind ads from Campagnolo, Sidi, Fizik, Daccordi, or any bike related product. Sometimes it's actually nice to see an ad showing you a new product.

It's not at all worth the time and effort considering how many there are here. The obvious ones with ridiculous speeds are easy, but then there are the e-bike people that are harder to suss out without taking a closer look at their ride. Some of them actually put "e-bike" or something similar int the title (one guy actually included the number of the bus route he was taking, although I still have no idea why you would record a bus ride on Strava), but it's simply not worth the time or the effort.
Old 07-05-21, 04:35 PM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I didn't read all of that. I did just decide to pay for another year of Strava without even really digging in to what all the premium subscription offers. I enjoy using it. If they aren't selling my data then they deserve it even more imo. I've never really personally had any issues with how it functions. Frankly, it has more functionality that I might ever use, but I'm pleased that there are options available.
Likes For Fastfwd01: