Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Overshorts?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Overshorts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-20, 03:18 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Overshorts?

Hi all,
Although it certainly doesn't get the extreme sub zero temps here in UK that some of you get, as autumn is here and winter due I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations for road cycling overshorts. When it's cold here I wear bib tights which I find fine except for shall I say my nether regions which freeze! So I was thinking of shorts to wear on top of bib tights.

Anyone do this or any ideas? Maybe just a size up on regular cycling shorts and wear those on top of tights?
Old 10-09-20, 03:33 AM
Moles

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Why not go with (chamois-less) tights over your regular cycling shorts? That way you get full coverage of your legs, two layers for the boys, and you don't have to worry about dealing with multiple chamois bunching up.

I just bought a few pair of very non-cycling specific tights from Craft, and they've been excellent as an over the shorts solution.
Likes For Moles:
Old 10-09-20, 02:39 PM
washed up

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Moles
Why not go with (chamois-less) tights over your regular cycling shorts? That way you get full coverage of your legs, two layers for the boys, and you don't have to worry about dealing with multiple chamois bunching up.

I just bought a few pair of very non-cycling specific tights from Craft, and they've been excellent as an over the shorts solution.
Done this many times...works great.
Old 10-11-20, 06:54 PM
xyz
Banned.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6072 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 712 Posts
Put a sock on it.
Likes For xyz:
Old 12-12-20, 12:25 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Try thermal knickers. For those in the States, I use the Voler brand: https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110801 But you should be able to find something comparable in the UK. I've worn MTB style shorts over them at times as well.

Ooops. Just saw this thread is 2 months old... but still maybe useful for some.

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 12-15-20, 08:17 PM
xyz
Banned.

Originally Posted by xyz
Put a sock on it.
Dang, now I think of a good line about being careful not to give yourself athletes dick.
Old 12-15-20, 08:22 PM
xyz
Banned.

Originally Posted by ericzamora
Try thermal knickers. For those in the States, I use the Voler brand: https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110801 But you should be able to find something comparable in the UK. I've worn MTB style shorts over them at times as well.

Ooops. Just saw this thread is 2 months old... but still maybe useful for some.

eric/fresno, ca.
I was wearing a bib and some spandex long johns underneath (nice because they have a loop for the foot) but was still getting a little chilly down there. Not even very cold yet either, just under freezing.