Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

electronic shifting, cold weather

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-20, 06:23 AM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I'm working on yet another bike (for New Hampshire) where I am currently riding in 30 degree weather. My etap bike does not function well in these temps it seems (could be another reason but I think it's battery + cold), so I'm resorting to my 105 bike. I miss the electronic shifting! Do any of you have experience with Di2 in the cold? Is there any other reliable electronic shifting out there that might work at these temps? I'm definitely out of touch with the latest bike gear.
Old 12-03-20, 08:26 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB
I'm working on yet another bike (for New Hampshire) where I am currently riding in 30 degree weather. My etap bike does not function well in these temps it seems (could be another reason but I think it's battery + cold), so I'm resorting to my 105 bike. I miss the electronic shifting! Do any of you have experience with Di2 in the cold? Is there any other reliable electronic shifting out there that might work at these temps? I'm definitely out of touch with the latest bike gear.
It is just physics and chemistry. These small batteries are not heated and get cold. My cycle computer doesn't work in the cold, but this doesn't' prevent me from riding. Electric cars have a large battery (more mass vs surface) and are actively heated for that reason.

Also consider batteries get worse with age. If a new battery causes problems, it won't get better after 2 years
Old 12-03-20, 09:53 AM
mr_pedro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB
According to the manual operating temperature range is between -10C and 50C, should be fine in 30F. At most make sure it is charged as you can expect the power to drain faster when it is cold.
Old 12-03-20, 05:19 PM
BNB

thanks. of course it's physics. what I really want to know is if anyone is actually riding with electronic shifting, and if so, what you use and what kind of mileage do you get with a fully charged, newer battery.

i've got an electric car. I wouldn't even consider bringing it to NH. It lives in southern CA. there's a reason you don't see many e-cars here in NH. maybe I've answered my own question. forget electronic shifting for cold weather cycling ... that would be a bummer.

Last edited by BNB; 12-03-20 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-04-20, 12:12 AM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Riding my etap bike through the winter (~100 miles/month over 3 months) around 30-40F without issues. Haven’t changed the shifter batteries for 3 years and I charge the derailleur batteries 1-2 times a year (beginning and end of summer). Can’t say I’ve seen significant drops in battery performance due to the cold but rather due to age of the system, although I’m sure it happens to an extent. My garmin definitely drops battery performance in the cold. I tried wrapping it in a silicone skin and it seems to help a bit.
Old 12-04-20, 05:40 AM
BNB

Thanks for the info. I don't mind having to charge the battery after every ride, if needed. It's so easy with etap. When I had an issue with the etap it was about 35 degrees I thought it might be the battery in the shifter(s).

The first time I put my phone on my handlebars in the cold the battery tanked so fast; I was stunned until I realized it was the cold. Put it in my back pocket and it got me home (I use ridewithgps app and need the directions when I'm in a new - and remote - area which I was). For that same reason I can't afford to have dead shifting; the hills here are over 10%. And there are many.
Old 12-04-20, 06:18 AM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB
Thanks for the info. I don't mind having to charge the battery after every ride, if needed. It's so easy with etap. When I had an issue with the etap it was about 35 degrees I thought it might be the battery in the shifter(s).

The first time I put my phone on my handlebars in the cold the battery tanked so fast; I was stunned until I realized it was the cold. Put it in my back pocket and it got me home (I use ridewithgps app and need the directions when I'm in a new - and remote - area which I was). For that same reason I can't afford to have dead shifting; the hills here are over 10%. And there are many.
Don't forget that under normal conditions using your phone, makes it run out of power in a few hours, while Di2 takes a few months. So even if with the cold it means that you can use only 25% of the power, you still don't have to worry about having to charge Di2 every ride, just that it might need charging every month.
Old 12-04-20, 08:22 AM
HerrKaLeun

It looks like you are waiting for someone to confirm that it it will work flawlessly in the cold.

Note that the manufacturer data on operating range assume a new battery fully charged. di2 is said to last a few months.... so depending on where on the cycle you are, you may not have a full battery unless you go through the effort to charge it up the night before the ride. Ultimately the only way to find out is try out..
Old 12-04-20, 08:24 AM
BNB

That would be fine; meaning having to charge more often. I think Di2 would be a better solution as it's 1 big battery (I believe) rather than 4 small batteries with etap.

I have easily gotten 7 hours from my phone using ridewithgps in warm weather by keeping the screen off.

Originally Posted by mr_pedro
Don't forget that under normal conditions using your phone, makes it run out of power in a few hours, while Di2 takes a few months. So even if with the cold it means that you can use only 25% of the power, you still don't have to worry about having to charge Di2 every ride, just that it might need charging every month.
Old 12-04-20, 09:03 AM
BNB

I wouldn't say I'm looking for someone to confirm "flawless" operation. I'm asking for personal experience and conditions; data of a sort. It's an expensive system to buy to experiment. It's for a new and yet un-built custom bike.

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
It looks like you are waiting for someone to confirm that it it will work flawlessly in the cold.
Old 12-04-20, 11:28 AM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by BNB
I wouldn't say I'm looking for someone to confirm "flawless" operation. I'm asking for personal experience and conditions; data of a sort. It's an expensive system to buy to experiment. It's for a new and yet un-built custom bike.
well, a reputable manufacturer had that tested by engineers in a lab and published the allowable operating conditions. Anything outside that may work, or may not.
Anyone here can provide are unscientific anecdotes. They may apply to your situation, or not. Every battery produced will differ, but the general degradation with cold and age remains.
Old 12-04-20, 07:33 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I’m using Di2 have not noticed any difference between Summer or Winter use, including battery life.
Old 12-04-20, 07:47 PM
BNB

Thank you, @Bmach, for a reality check.

Originally Posted by Bmach
I’m using Di2 have not noticed any difference between Summer or Winter use, including battery life.