Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Over 50's turbo use

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Over 50's turbo use

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-21, 04:20 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Over 50's turbo use

Just wondering how many of the over 50's (I'm 62) use the old turbo trainer? I'm in UK which means at this time of year(and a lot of rest of time unfortunately) the weather is abysmal so it's either venture out in gale force winds and rain or hit the indoor trainer.

I've had my dumb trainer for around 4 years and get good use out of it, maybe 2-3 sessions a week and I really hit it hard. Short sessions of around 40-60 mins but usually up to max effort.

Do many of you other oldies do similar?

On a side note, I'm looking to upgrade to a smart trainer and thinking of the Wahoo Kickr Snap. It's a wheel on job but has good reviews and be good enough for me. Any thoughts on these gratefully received.
Old 01-24-21, 05:36 AM
Machoman121

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
it depends on how serious you take your cycling - and if there's some spare money to spend on this hobby then yes - it's a game changer for me. I would get the minimum Kickr Core (Wheels off) and not want to faff around with those wheel on types (Kickr Snap).

The smart trainer will allow you to put in the mileage for the fitness while minimising exposing yourself to the dangers of road cycling in real life. Most of the time it's 'quite' fun...sometimes it's a drag...but that can also be said about cycling in real life also. It's not cheap though - the hardware costs can add up very quickly and then you also have the zwift monthly subscriptions.
Old 01-24-21, 06:30 AM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
I bought a Wahoo Snap in October 2019 for use during the winter months. For best results on a wheel on trainer use a training tire, make sure the tire is inflated to the same pressure before each ride and calibrate the trainer at least once a week. Those steps are not needed on a wheel off trainer.

The smart trainer definitely helps me maintain a level of fitness during cold weather when I don't ride outside. I used to go to a local gym during the winter and ride a stationary bike. Using the smart trainer in the comfort of my home with either Zwift or Rouvy is much more enjoyable then the gym. BTW I just turned 60 this month and ride about 100 miles per week; trainer, on the road or a combination of the two.

Last edited by KenCT; 01-24-21 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-24-21, 06:30 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I've been using a Tacx trainer with the Rouvy app for a few years. With the winter weather in Wisconsin, it's the only way to maintain fitness during the off season. The technology is interesting also. The data rich displays and logs allow for some very sophisticated training that would be difficult to achieve outdoors on pavement or trails.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-24-21, 07:00 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I use a wheel on smart trainer (Saris M2). It's been a game changer in terms of keeping me motivated.
Old 01-24-21, 10:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
I dont think I would use a dumb trainer.
Old 01-24-21, 11:36 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a semi-dumb trainer: Kinetic Road Machine, that estimates power and transmits a BT signal. With consistent calibration it is very close to my Quarq crank PM.

I have using Trainer Road and Zwift, sometimes at the same time. It’s an efficient and effective way to train. Had I known that I was going to spend so much time on the trainer this year with covid and the fires, I would have gotten a smart trainer, but my set up works fine.
Old 01-24-21, 12:19 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
A Turbo Trainer would be an upgrade for me. The TT is a better overall design than my Racermate II, but where the rubber meets the roller, I figure they're about equal. I wish I had the TT's bottom bracket interface, though. I might be able to sell my bike for $150 (perhaps a good deal more if I parted it out). I just don't see spending hundreds on a smart trainer. I'm not a racer.

What's the benefit of a smart trainer to someone who likes bicycling but isn't obsessed? (Not criticizing an obsession with biking, just saying it's not me.) Do I really need to know I've increased my power from 25W to 50?
Old 01-24-21, 01:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
A smart trainer does 2 things essentially: it measures power/cadence and it transmits that data so it can be captured, displayed, and analyzed (this may not be interesting or useful to you). It also interacts with training software so it simulates the virtual hills and draft effects in a game like Zwift. People say it’s much more immersive, therefore more fun. They will also do precise erg workouts so that no matter what gear or cadence, you are always doing the target power. Again, may not be interesting or useful for you. But it’s a effective and efficient way to get fitter, and in my experience fitter is funner whether you race, commute, or just ride around.

And like I said above, you don’t need an interactive trainer to do these things. I’ve had good experiences with my Kinetic fluid trainer.

Last edited by caloso; 01-24-21 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-24-21, 03:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Here you go https://www.bikeforums.net/indoor-st...cycling-forum/
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-24-21, 05:39 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
I use a basic magnetic trainer during the winter months - not my favorite but I make it work

Old 01-24-21, 07:01 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Was going to mention this as well as you'll probably find more info in this forum as this topic is the soup of the day, so to speak.

My 2 cents on the topic since you brought it up is definitely worth acquiring equipment you are comfortable on setting up and spending the money on if you want to maintain a level of fitness during the off season, especially in this whacked year of COVID. I've been Zwifting for over 3 years now and I chose the wheel on smart trainer with ANT connection because it fit my needs and my budget. Much easier to remove a bike from a wheel on trainer than having to disconnect from the cassette and put your wheel back on to take your bike outside. And this is handy during the in between seasons like Spring and Fall, when it's sunny and warm one day and rainy and cold the next.

That being said, if you're really concerned about matching your numbers on the trainer to your outdoor experience than the power meter combined with a wheel off trainer is the way to go. I personally am not concerned and join a Zwift race and mash it out for 45-60 minutes with an average of 2.8-3.2 W/kg based on Zwift's calculation. Is it realistic? probably not but I'm sweating my a$$ off, my heart rate is racing and I feel like I got a good work out.
Old 01-25-21, 05:09 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
I'm more interested in how many older guys and girls use a turbo rather than general population hence posting in over 50's forum.
Old 01-25-21, 05:14 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I'm 63, been biking forever. Tried indoor dumb trainers several times over the years - always too boring, even with a TV in front and I could never make myself do longer or tougher workouts.

In 2017 bought a Wahoo Kickr SNAP, signed on to Zwift - been having a blast for 4 years now. Very large population of older folks on Zwift, several online Zwift clubs aimed at old goomers, even several "Masters Races."
Old 01-25-21, 05:33 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I'm 63, been biking forever. Tried indoor dumb trainers several times over the years - always too boring, even with a TV in front and I could never make myself do longer or tougher workouts.

In 2017 bought a Wahoo Kickr SNAP, signed on to Zwift - been having a blast for 4 years now. Very large population of older folks on Zwift, several online Zwift clubs aimed at old goomers, even several "Masters Races."
I need to check out those online Zwift clubs.

+ 1. Dumb trainers bored me even with a TV. With a smart trainer and Zwift, I'm getting far better work outs.
Old 01-25-21, 06:51 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by SurferCyclist
I'm more interested in how many many older guys and girls use a turbo rather than general population hence posting in over 50's forum.
You could set up a poll if all you need is a count
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-25-21, 09:11 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
67 years old here I ride a Kickr bike daily. I ride in Zwift with my local bike club. It’s part of my morning routine. Get up at 6:15am and the ride starts at 7:30am. a hour hard hour ride. I ride with people 30 years younger than me an keep up with them.
Old 01-25-21, 09:59 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
I ride with people 30 years younger than me an keep up with them.
If that translates to being able to keep up on actual outdoor rides, I'd say you are doing well!
Old 01-25-21, 10:15 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Get Smart Rollers and never be bored again. Don't be intimidated...anyone can learn.
Old 01-25-21, 11:10 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I use a smart trainer - that would be me, with my road bike on my resistance rollers. I'm never bored. How could one be bored? There's so much to do, to concentrate on, every second. No matter how hard I try, I can't be perfect, hold my power within a couple watts, pedal perfectly for the intensity at which I'm trying to work, address the various pains which appear, and all this while not winding up on the floor. No, I'm never bored, even on a 2 hour ride. The further I get into a ride like that, the more interesting it becomes because the more issues I have to deal with.

If you're bored on your trainer, you're doing it wrong. You need to challenge yourself a lot more. Get on there and do something interesting.
Old 01-27-21, 07:40 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I use an old Kinetic and just do sets of boring intermittent sprints in front of the TV. I don't have a clue about these smart trainers, Zwift, etc. I would like to find a more interesting visual experience rather than the news. To use Zwift, do you need to have a smart trainer or can you just mirror the app to your TV and follow along as best you can on your dumb trainer? Are there apps or sites that just project some generic bike routes that don't require a subscription?
Old 01-27-21, 08:47 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
You can use just a cadence and speed sensor.
to use Zwift. Ideally you would have a power sensor. But you can use just those two.

There are several Yourube channels that just have ride videos.
https://youtube.com/c/IndoorCyclingVideos

https://youtube.com/c/BiketheWorld

Old 01-31-21, 05:21 PM
lokerola

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp Cro-Mo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I used my old dumb trainer 3-4 days a week doing trainerroad. I have Garmin Vector power pedals to track power. It's an awesome workout. 52 years old here (53 this month).

Likes For lokerola:
Old 01-31-21, 07:08 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Rode rollers back in the late 70's, during any extreme cold snaps or sustained rainy periods (monsoon/hurricane seasons here.) Now its a Kurt Kinetic basic wind resistance stand that keeps me active when its not suitable weather. Have the mat and front wheel block, and keep a towel in place for catching the sweat out of things. Usually I set up in front of the television, so I can catch the evening local and national news. I use a dedicated trainer tire on back so as not to ruin the pricey items that are used out on the roads.

I wish I had kept those Kreitler rollers from back in the day, not as boring as the stationary stand can be at times. First-world problem there.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-01-21, 08:05 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I have a Fuji Supreme that does permanent duty on a Kinetic dumb trainer in front of the TV in the basement. I hooked up the cheapest computer I could find that tracked cadence. I like to watch The Simpsons, South Park, Rick and Morty. Bike racing is fun, too, but you have to be really careful. When the camera is on a moto and they are descending it is hard not to lean into the turns! Heading down now to use it as a matter of fact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.