Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Over 50's turbo use

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Over 50's turbo use

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 12:24 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
I finally ditched my 1993 Blackburn Mag in late 2019 and got a Kickr Core and Climb. I'm on Zwift 4-5 days per week, anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours.
Likes For CyclingFool95:
Old 02-02-21, 12:52 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
At 62 I'm still riding rollers and watching tv. I trialed zwift a couple of years ago but it wasn't really my thing.
As I get older, I am getting decidedly wimpier, as I used to just ride outside no matter the weather. Now the rollers get a lot more use.
Old 02-04-21, 02:53 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I used an old style turbo a few times but found it nauseating in the garage. I could gain no incentive to use it further so I got rid. The Les Mills stuff at the gym gave me all the incentive I needed; now the gyms are closed I'm back on the road. The weather in the UK usually allows for 45 minutes of uphill slogging without getting wet, so it's just a case that, and of waiting. 'till the gym reopens. I've had my COVID jab, but others haven't. so it'll be a bit yet.
Some guys I've spoken too have bought into this anyway, utilising a large televiaion and goodness knows what else in their spare room, and you'll all know about the interactive Peleton stuff which, too, is popular.
Old 02-05-21, 05:29 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
I have a Kurt Kinetic that I use every other day for 45 minutes or so. I watch HIIT training sessions on youtube. I do alternate days with a rowing machine that I much prefer, also do youtube workouts for that. Throw in some stretching, planks, leg lifts and a few core exercises and I'm done in an hour. I've actually lost 10 lbs since the holidays doing this, odd because I can't seem to lose weight riding during the summer probably should do more intervals when outside as they mimic HIIT training. An hour is all I have patience for.
Old 02-14-21, 01:13 PM
wsriii

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Still Using the Turbo Trainer

I am 66 have used rollers and/or trainer since the 80s. Recently replaced my older turbo trainer with a Kinetic Road Machine Smart 2 (wheel on). I have to confess to no longer being committed to a serious training program, just trying to stay fit and ride long enough and fast enough to have fun. I just finished my free trial of Zwift. Did not really like it, and have found myself back to a program of utilizing youtube videos from CTX in conjunction with other youtube videos from Indoor Cycling Videos interspersed as "endurance rides". As a sometimes drummer, I make music playlists for myself from Spotify and I am good to go. I just use my Garmin Edge to log everything and keep an eye on the numbers. As I live in western Colorado, I am usually lucky enough to get a couple of road rides a week even this time of year. This seems to be working pretty well for me with my current level of commitment. I have lost some weight, gotten a little faster, but most importantly, I still really love to ride.
Old 02-15-21, 08:23 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
I bit the bullet and got a JetBlack Volt and I've been riding it six days a week on RGT Cycling (like Zwift but cheaper) It has kept it interesting, even though my assos hurts after 2hrs, but I can ride up Cap Formentor in Majorca without leaving my office. Certainly beats the old sessions of minute on/minute off till you throw up.
Old 02-15-21, 09:09 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I recently upgraded from a Kinetic RM to the Kinetic Control Power smart wheel on trainer. I actually upgraded my old RM with the new control unit rather then buy a whole new trainer.

I have two months with this and 800 miles. As an individual that has over 6000 miles ridden in 2020 and a good portion of those using the RM and Zwift I was at first a little taken back at what using a smart trainer does on a training session. My power numbers are not changed but I feel elevation changes that I really didn't know existed in Zwift, virtual roads that I had been on many times have a whole new feel due to a small dip or incline that I used to just ride over and not notice. I doubt that as a training tool it makes any difference but as far as trying to simulate an outside ride it comes very close to the real thing.

In 12 months since doing my first Zwift ride up the Alpe du Zwift, I have been up that road 40 times, all on my RM. I wasn't until this past weekend, 2 months into using a smart trainer that I got up the courage to do the Alpe. I think I was being conservative, not wanting to blow up half way up, but my ride time, while not my best ever, was very close to my best. I used gearing same as I would do riding outside as opposed to the RM where I used high gears to achieve enough power. Last spring when I transitioned back to outside it took a few rides for me to get used to selecting the proper gears on the hills because on a fluid trainer I was using high gears on the hills to generate enough power to keep my speed up at a realistic cadence.

So because I spend so much time on my trainer I feel that having a smart trainer is worth the money. Although my wheel on works fine with no complaints, if I were doing it all over again would get a direct drive trainer.
Old 02-19-21, 08:40 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
I hate turbo trainers, the CIA could use a rickety turbo trainer as an “enhanced interrogation technique.”

Years ago I ditched my turbo trainer and got a set of used rollers from an LBS. After a few falls in the first hour of use, I finally got the hang of riding on them. What’s more, I felt a big improvement in my balance and pedal stroke when I took my bike out on the road, the difference was startling. There are a few types of rollers. There are the old-school rollers with large drums which allow you to ride bigger gears at high cadences. The higher wheel speeds keep you more balanced, I got mine from an old Keirin racer here in Japan. The more common kind has medium rollers which are good for riding in the middle gears, they have a little more resistance, and are good for all-around training. The last kind are those which have smaller, double rollers on the front. These have high resistance, and the smaller rollers are noisier. The noise is actually a help because you can hear the sound change when you pedal. They make a “whir, whir, whir” sound with each pedal stroke, which lets you know that your pedal stroke is bad, if you focus on pedaling in circles, you can get them to make a steady “whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr”

I really recommend rollers as the best stationary workout. I can set them up in front of a TV or monitor (and a fan), and watch old TDF races. I put a towel on the floor underneath to catch the sweat, and I add intervals in big gears for set periods of time. I still hate training indoors, but I hate it less with rollers.
Likes For 50PlusCycling: