Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Velox - there's a reason its still used

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Velox - there's a reason its still used

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-21, 08:52 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
You don't have to run tubeless on tubeless ready wheels.
Ah, I’d misunderstood, but get you now.
Old 02-04-21, 09:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Velox was great. It is an absolute deal breaker for running on tubeless rims - which is just about every rim anymore. it is way too thick to work with most high performance tires. Tubeless tape for all of those applications whether you run with tubes or run it tubeless.
Thanks. I haven't owned a tubeless rim yet (and most of my future rims will be for tubular (or totally tubed; tube, tire and rim!) So it might be a while before I need that new stuff.
Old 02-05-21, 08:00 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
I like the non adhesive fabric rim strips. Kind of a thick burlap weave made with soft cotton. Very French, very tactile, every bit souplesse.
Old 02-05-21, 09:19 PM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
I moved away from Velox rim strips on my mountain bikes in the 90s when I observed they appeared to retain moisture for a long time, like weeks. i used to do a lot of wet mtb rides in the Winter. The non-adhesive plastic strips seemed to allow the wet to dry out faster. Keeping the rim wet promotes corrosion at dissimilar metal interfaces. If you ride a lot in the wet I’d reconsider Velox.

I’ve tried the Continental strips mentioned above on a modern bike and had the strip shift from covering the holes and had one flat that I attribute to that exposure. I am not sure the strip was the proper size for the rim. I switched to Kapton tape and it works well. I’ve run tubeless and experienced the pluses, but the prospect of having to remove a very tight tire out on the road in the event I needed to fit a tube led me to abandon tubeless.
Old 02-08-21, 12:29 PM
jingy2

Bikes: 1996 Rivendell All-Rounder, 2000 Chris Kvale, 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-11 Corsa Extra, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr, Rivendell Roadini, 86 Mercian Vincitore, 85 Vitus 979, 89 Vitus Carbone 9, 83 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 79 Motobecane Grand Touring,2022 Corvus Rhino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I used to use plastic rim strips from a major tire manufacturer (can't remember who), and they worked fine for a while but always wound up getting brittle and cracking where they are pressed into the spoke recesses. This may have been because my bikes live in an unheated garage and go through many freeze-thaw cycles, but Velox Fond de Jante (otherwise known as Fond de Jante model X073A) are long-term reliable.
Those were the Michelin rim strips that worked great-until they cracked. Cold temps and freeze-thaw wasn't the problem, it was the material.

Jim
Old 02-08-21, 05:18 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've been running Velox for 50(?) years. It works so why change? The stick is good enough that I can pull it back to replace spokes and re-stick. Good enough that when I re-build wheels with new rims, I often use the old tape. Doing this I do occasionally run into issues of it slipping but it is about every 3rd, 4th of 5th leap year. A risk I deem acceptable. The rest of the time simply ignore it.
This!!!

However after using Velo Plugs in a set of velocity rims, I will give progress its due.
Old 02-08-21, 06:53 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I see Velox as a time and place tool, some of my wheels use Velox tape the rest use Ritchey snap strips. I find the thinner material helps with tire fitting.
Old 02-08-21, 10:51 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Living in the past

Hey, I must be way behind the times. Years and years ago, like 40, I used a sticky fabric tape that I called Velox to fix my 'tubular' tires to my Fiamme Ergal rims. I didn't really know what the check I was doing, or even if I was sticking the tires securely enough to ride them safely.

I only mention this now, not to admit I'm an old dope, but because I thought this discussion was about the familiar product that I lovingly and stickingly applied to my rims just about to the point of recalling the smell of creosote.