Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike trainer stand recommendation?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 09:40 AM
lc130

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently have an old model Blackburn Ultra friction stand. It doesn't have enough resistance to get my pulse up. I ride only for a workout and try to get my pulse to 140 to 150 (I'm 57). I can get to 130 on this stand. I've been looking at Elite Suito and other direct drives. Will these give me more resistance? Any recommendations? I don't need any smart app technology or video add on. Just looking for resistance.

Thank you
Charlie
Old 02-18-21, 12:37 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by lc130
I currently have an old model Blackburn Ultra friction stand. It doesn't have enough resistance to get my pulse up. I ride only for a workout and try to get my pulse to 140 to 150 (I'm 57). I can get to 130 on this stand. I've been looking at Elite Suito and other direct drives. Will these give me more resistance? Any recommendations? I don't need any smart app technology or video add on. Just looking for resistance.

Thank you
Charlie
I don't know the details of that trainer but I would hope that if you drop your tire pressure a bit and put bike in your biggest gear, you should get enough resistance.

If you can't, there may be something wrong with the trainer and you may need another one. If you don't need a smart trainer you can likely get a budget model used from craigslist for a good price.
Old 02-18-21, 12:46 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
When looking at the trainer, at least on smart trainers, they will specify what sort of power output they can handle. I have a Saris H3 and it says it can handle up to 2000w, so it's unlikely I'll ever come close to even scratching anywhere even close to it's upper (and barely above middle) end.

Old 02-18-21, 12:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If all you need is more (and reliably consistent) resistance, then it's overkill to look at a direct-drive smart trainer like the Elite Suito. Just get the cheapest fluid turbo you can find. I see good quality used ones on FB Marketplace and Nextdoor pretty regularly, as people upgrade to smart trainers.

I have a Kinetic Road Machine and it's been rock-solid. It's a dumb trainer, but it does a pretty good job estimating power and it works with Zwift, Trainerroad, etc., if you're interested in trying out that sort of thing.

Last edited by caloso; 02-19-21 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-19-21, 10:36 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
If you are only going to simply ride on your trainer, I agree with caloso that you may be better off with a simpler solution. Elite makes its Qubo trainer in several versions. The best for you would probably be the basic fluid version. The best thing about this trainer is that it is very easy to set up. Friction depends on the weight of the rider, there are no adjustments to do. Resistance depends on how fast the wheel is turning, the faster you go the harder it gets. This trainer is also very adjustable for different size wheels. My son has one and he was able to mount his son's 14 inch wheel bike so that he could train just like his dad. About heart rate: If you want a higher heart rate, increase your cadence. When I ride rollers I can get my heart rate into the 170's by riding at a cadence over 95 rpm. My rollers have no built in resistance, but a higher cadence results in a higher heart rate
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 02-19-21, 06:11 PM
lc130

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the advice. I was able to get a manual from Blackburn today and found that I could increase resistance by dissembling, moving some bearings, and reassembling. I've had this for several years and the existence of this feature never occurred to me. It worked and I was able to hit my target heart rate today.

Thank you

Charlie

Last edited by lc130; 02-19-21 at 06:15 PM.