Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Group set for surly LHT

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Group set for surly LHT

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21, 03:56 PM
Bassfitzy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Group set for surly LHT

Hi lads looking for suggestions for a chain group set for Surly LHT I’m building. Will be made for road touring and some gravel .
Old 02-24-21, 09:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
How much do you want to spend?- no point in suggesting something costing $900 if your budget is $300.
What type of shifting do you want?- bar end, STI, di2.
What type of brakes do you need?- rim, mechanical disc, hydraulic disc.
What type of drivetrain?- 1x, 2x, 3x.

I can suggest a $900 1x, but if you want a $400 3x then...
Old 02-24-21, 11:11 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
I went with mostly Deore on my LHT. Good quality at a good price
Old 02-25-21, 03:56 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Most people when they build up a bike, they already knew that they wanted something different than stock. If you have not decided what you do not like about the stock specifications, maybe you should look at stock specifications and judge from there.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 02-27-21, 12:15 PM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Most people when they build up a bike, they already knew that they wanted something different than stock. If you have not decided what you do not like about the stock specifications, maybe you should look at stock specifications and judge from there.
I totally agree.

1X, 2X, or 3X and type of shifting would be the first decisions. When you say "road touring," how much weight? Fast 'n' light, or heavy and strong?

Did an LHT frame just land in your lap? Usually someone who purchases a frame to build up knows something about what they want. What is the reason you want to start with a bare frame rather than the full LHT Surly built bike? In this case, the Surly built full LHT bike is a very good value. Unless you throw a lot of used parts at it, I don't think you can build a better bike for less money.
Old 02-27-21, 01:53 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I'd hazard a guess that most folks building a touring bike up from the frame don't use "group sets". I know I didn't on our 4 touring bikes that were built up from the frame. What I wanted could not be found in one group set.

One the most versatile set ups that I used on three bike, including my wife's custom built frame was: XT hubs, LX rear derailleur, Tiagra 4503 front derailleur, Sugino DX 500 44/32/22 crankset, Tiagra 4503 shifters(brifters), and either LX or XT 11-34 cassette. Using a mtn bike crankset required using a 103 mm length bottom bracket to get the 46 mm chainline needed to use STI shifters/brake levers. It is a 9 speed set up, which works very well. It is a combination of parts that over time I found work together very well.

The 44 high chainring with the 11 tooth rear cog will give you 28 mph at 90 RPM. I find this to be adequate for almost any touring situation I've encountered. I usually use down hills to rest, and do not need to peddle going downhill. I've never wished for a higher gear on a tour, but there have been times when I would have used a lower one.

This is my LHT that was built up from the frame.

Last edited by Doug64; 03-02-21 at 12:19 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 02-27-21, 05:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
For some inspiration this is what I went with on my touring bike a mix of Ultegra level and XT with 9 speed Gevenalle Shifters: Co-Motion Wagon Queen Family Truckster
If I was doing it again with the same sort of set up I would just use the Microshift units that Gevenalle has. The Dura Ace ones work but they have to be angled a bit and were a bit funkier to set up.

If you want a 2x11 which might be my next conventional bike I am doing a similar mix but 11 speed and since it will be flat bar I am using Microshift 11 speed MTB thumb shifters and potentially the same front derailleur as the other bike since it was designed for lower gearing on a 10 speed and I figure I can make it work frictionally with 11 at the front (and if not I will use a 11 speed Ultegra or something) The gearing for that is 46-30 and an 11-42 cassette at the back.

However it all depends on what you want to do with your bike and what works best for you. Since you really haven't given us information it is tough to really guide you. If you are looking for more of a complete groupset the closest we have is XT T8000 which is a 10 speed European trekking group from Shimano. Touring group sets don't really exist they are pieced together from different stuff and if you are using Shimano which I highly recommend make sure you know after 9 speed road and mountain diverged and do not play well together however in my case I am using a front derailleur and thumb shifters so I can do a friction front and remove those compatibility issues.
Old 03-07-21, 11:05 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I'd go Deore 2x10 with 26-36 up front and 11-42 out the back.

That said, where are you going to find Deore in the wild right now? SRAM and Shimano have 18 month backlogs to clear and it doesn't look like anyone's getting aftermarket drivetrain parts anytime soon.

Maybe find a mid range MTB to strip for a drivetrain? Sell the frame, wheels etc and anything you don't need or want. For a bit of faffing about, you can have a very cheap drivetrain.