Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling and Depression

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling and Depression

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-12, 09:42 PM
abstractform20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
in all seriousness, i would look into learning more about other chemicals for help.

https://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...hannel-4-study

Old 11-23-12, 09:54 PM
UCF Eric
OASAASLLS

Bikes: Pake, Surly Pacer, Kilo TT, Giant XTC, SE Stout, 853 Ritchey MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wanted to take a second and say I have a lot of respect for you being open enough to post this, because I sure wouldn't have the courage to start a thread like this. As someone who was diagnosed 7 years ago and who just recently started taking medication, I can safely say that cycling has definitely helped. It lets me get out and clear my head and kind of be an alternative to other ways of coping that may be deemed unhealthy. It's nice to know that I'm not alone and that there are others who also use the same methods.
Old 11-23-12, 10:08 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Mens sanu et corpus sanus
Or, you could write: Anima Sana In Corpore Sano - Sound Mind In a Sound Body (ASICS - the name of the running shoes company)
Old 11-23-12, 10:12 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Or, you could write: Anima Sana In Corpore Sano - Sound Mind In a Sound Body (ASICS - the name of the running shoes company)
Yes you could and yes you did. I heard that phrase all my life from my quite brilliant and heavy smoking and drinking mother.
Old 11-23-12, 10:18 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Triathlon is three times the pain. That and Lexapro get me out of bed in the morning.
Old 11-24-12, 12:56 AM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, interesting thread. Clearly the OP is not the only one with the problem and I dont think he has to feel bad for what he is saying. Well im at the oposite side.. I dont have a job, im not handsome, i dont have several bikes and I have just a busted minivan that I will continue using until it dies.

No idea if the OP is married or not... if you get married and kids arrive, the kids should keep your mind super busy to even think in getting depressed. I understand the bike part... cycling keeps my sanity, eventhought my kids keep me too busy to be depressed, eventhought there are some things that will be there ever because is not something you can share or try to make other person to understand. Never got to the extreme of using drugs because I never asked for them...many times drugs just do the opposite, dont help and just keep you happy until the effect of the drug is gone and then what? down again... the guy never learn to deal with the problem... doctors can help but the thing is that you have to help your self, maybe you dont even have depression and another personality transtorn, many times those things are wrongly diagnosticated.

Personally my mom all this years was diagnosticated with severe depression, with my wife we are sure her problem is just not that but a personality thing and those things now are threated w/o problems, 50 years ago was just drugs and more drugs; since she is like 65 doesnt make any sense to even try to find out what it is.

Always good to read this things because people is more lonely that we ever xpected...
Old 11-24-12, 01:11 AM
surgeonstone

Depression is not something that comes from inactivity, nor does one think about getting it. There is no more reason to be congratulated for bringing up the subject than if the OP started a thread on heart disease nor should anyone suffering from it feel ashamed by it's presence. There are many types, situational, endogenous and other varieties. Some need meds, others do not. It is a treatable condition and there is hope.
Now I am off to bed before I get depressed.
Old 11-24-12, 01:35 AM
TupacInLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look into a documentary called Food Matters... Its on Netflix if you have it. Its cleared me from my depression.. It's a documentary that gives a lot of insight and facts of how are bodies go thru changes from what we eat.

https://youtu.be/r4DOQ6Xhqss - Food Matters Trailer

https://youtu.be/7K2tqxKf2EE - Excert from Food Matters Doc. On Depression.

This video will change your life.
Old 11-24-12, 03:40 AM
dleccord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
add me to the list as well. when you guys are depressed, do you recommend training or just going out for a scenic ride?
Old 11-24-12, 04:57 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ThinLine

Any insight would be helpful
It's the only thing that keeps me sane. Just ride your bike Fredly. And if you do decide to blow your brains out, put a drop cloth down first.
Old 11-24-12, 05:02 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Its not specifically the cycling that helps op, its exercise. cyclinghappenes to be the exercise op (and i guess most on these forums, including me) have taken up.

i dont have depression, but I certainly get somewhat cranky if I havent ridden or done any exercise for a couple of days. i think that applies to many ppl who have the exercise bug.
Old 11-24-12, 05:33 AM
Makel

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Specialized Transition, Specialized Fate, Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ThinLine
I'm taking Cymbalta and it isn't working.

Riding clears my head and organizes my thoughts. Once again, not out for sympathy.
90% of people don't care, the other 10% are glad you have the problem.

Any insight would be helpful
There are lots of other meds out there. Cymbalta only helped me for a little while, it also affected my HR and gave me awful night sweats.

Cycling, or working out in general helps me tons. Not everyone I know gets it and they think I'm weird or obsessive about it. I don't really care anymore, and I don't bother explaining.

Also, unless the person has actually dealt with the demons in their head they can't possibly understand. If they did understand then they would know material things have nothing to do with it, actually sometimes they are more of a mental burden.
Old 11-24-12, 06:48 AM
campylover

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse SL with Campy Record 10sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Major depression here. My psychiatrist has me on a mix of meds. Abilify works great for me. She also tells me to ride my bike! So the mix of meds and cycling has helped me alot.
Old 11-24-12, 06:58 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you so very much to everyone !
Old 11-24-12, 08:04 AM
rvk5150

Bikes: Bianchi Brava, Bianchi Osprey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not suffer from depression but large and lengthy bouts of stress; my job can be that way. I love what I do, the company I work for, and the people that work for me but every so often it builds up....I found this past summer when I started cycling again that the relief it provides is amazing. Just getting out with nature; seeing things, hearing things, smelling things....then of course exerting that energy...it all adds up to something great.
Old 11-24-12, 09:11 AM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by dleccord
add me to the list as well. when you guys are depressed, do you recommend training or just going out for a scenic ride?
I find it really does not matter as I always end up in the same place- going as hard as I can. This too, the need to suffer, is part of the sickness not understood by the normal world. Either way I end up the same, feeling the post ride peace that all is well in Surgeonstone land.
Old 11-24-12, 09:16 AM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by mustang1
Its not specifically the cycling that helps op, its exercise. cyclinghappenes to be the exercise op (and i guess most on these forums, including me) have taken up.

i dont have depression, but I certainly get somewhat cranky if I havent ridden or done any exercise for a couple of days. i think that applies to many ppl who have the exercise bug.
Very true.
I read an article recently that found a simple brisk walk of at least 30 minutes was more effective than any medicine or other therapy for helping depression. Again, not suggesting you stop the meds if on them but wherever you are on the therapeutic spectrum, it is pretty clear the addition of exercise, even what we 41'ers would call non exercise, is very, very helpful.
Old 11-24-12, 09:25 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
I find it really does not matter as I always end up in the same place- going as hard as I can. This too, the need to suffer, is part of the sickness not understood by the normal world. Either way I end up the same, feeling the post ride peace that all is well in Surgeonstone land.
Your comment about "the suffering" made me think of the lines in Carly Simon song, "Haven't Got Time For The Pain."

"Suffering was the only thing that made me feel I was alive..."

I have Type2 diabetes; diabetics often suffer from depression. When I am in the middle of a deep funk, suffering on the bike provides a welcoming salve.
Old 11-24-12, 09:27 AM
surgeonstone

It really does. Now off for a frigid snowy ride.
Old 11-24-12, 10:40 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Makel: You are so right, materialistic tangibles bring only brief relief. I try to look at the quality, detail, precision and workings of these things. People just don't understand.
PatentCad: I would expect nothing less, Thanks.
Surgeonstone: Light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks

Once again, I see I'm not alone and there is an understanding and support. Thank You All
Old 11-24-12, 10:43 AM
ThinLine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by campylover
Major depression here. My psychiatrist has me on a mix of meds. Abilify works great for me. She also tells me to ride my bike! So the mix of meds and cycling has helped me alot.
Good for you.........ride.
Old 11-24-12, 10:45 AM
ThinLine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dleccord
Any type of high heartbeat excercise helps, Take care
Old 11-24-12, 10:49 AM
ThinLine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
Wow, interesting thread. Clearly the OP is not the only one with the problem and I dont think he has to feel bad for what he is saying. Well im at the oposite side.. I dont have a job, im not handsome, i dont have several bikes and I have just a busted minivan that I will continue using until it dies.

No idea if the OP is married or not... if you get married and kids arrive, the kids should keep your mind super busy to even think in getting depressed. I understand the bike part... cycling keeps my sanity, eventhought my kids keep me too busy to be depressed, eventhought there are some things that will be there ever because is not something you can share or try to make other person to understand. Never got to the extreme of using drugs because I never asked for them...many times drugs just do the opposite, dont help and just keep you happy until the effect of the drug is gone and then what? down again... the guy never learn to deal with the problem... doctors can help but the thing is that you have to help your self, maybe you dont even have depression and another personality transtorn, many times those things are wrongly diagnosticated.

Personally my mom all this years was diagnosticated with severe depression, with my wife we are sure her problem is just not that but a personality thing and those things now are threated w/o problems, 50 years ago was just drugs and more drugs; since she is like 65 doesnt make any sense to even try to find out what it is.

Always good to read this things because people is more lonely that we ever xpected...
Good Luck to you!
Old 11-24-12, 10:51 AM
apollored

Bikes: Apollo Revival Mountain Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Riding Out Of The Dark:

https://www.goskyride.com/Breeze/Show...yList%2F54%2F1
Old 11-24-12, 10:51 AM
ThinLine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
All i can say is you enjoy what you have.Be kind and be charitable,but don't let anyone put a guilt trip on you.Keep cycling and seeking.Not sure about the drug but maybe you would do better without it.Hope this helps someway.
Thank You, I give to animal charities always.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.