Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 08:16 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by slindell
That's it! That's the Fixed Gear Fever calculator.

I had to upload it to Google Drive. I hope all of the translations came through.

The simple method is to take the target time subtract 5 seconds for the start then divide by the lap count to get time per lap, add 5 back for the first lap.
Thanks!

The preferred method is to look at the calendar and if it is an odd numbered year it might be time to ride one.
Hahahaha!
Old 09-16-14, 08:50 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
According to Amazon, it's out of print
Yes it is. But it appears occasionally on EBay and Bookfinders.com. That is where I bought my copy.

Perhaps somebody at your local track has a copy you could look at.

I tried to post a photo of two pages but could not figure out how. If you PM me an email address I will send it to you.
Old 09-17-14, 02:40 PM
Shotland
Banned.

Bikes: '04 Bianchi Pista, '14 All-City Thunderdome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll soon be buying a new stem for the track. Should I go by the same general rules for road cycling? I've always heard "if you can't see your hub, you're good", does that apply to track? Keep in mind I have very little experience actually on the track and don't know track fitting.
Old 09-17-14, 03:57 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Shotland
I'll soon be buying a new stem for the track. Should I go by the same general rules for road cycling? I've always heard "if you can't see your hub, you're good", does that apply to track? Keep in mind I have very little experience actually on the track and don't know track fitting.
Generally, no. That rule of thumb is assuming that you are using road bars (with road bar reach/drop) attached to a fork with a road offset.

I mean, I feel that track fitting is sort of a thing on its own. Because:

- The bars are different
- The enduro/sprint positions are different
- The event lengths are different. (there may not be a focus on comfort)
- The bike geo is different.
- The cadences are higher

Setting up your track bike like you would a road bike is a good start. But, ultimately you'll want a track fit when you start to specialize your training and racing.
Old 09-17-14, 08:06 PM
derek.fulmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are pista/track bars necessary for any certain event or are good road drop bars fine? I'm honing in on the last bits of my build and have been set on getting Deda or Cinelli pista bars but was curious if one style has advantages over another.
Old 09-17-14, 09:07 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road bars are fine for most

Just be warned-
the 2 track bars you mentioned are about the deepest made. There will be a massive difference in drop and reach between those and normal road drops.
Old 09-17-14, 09:58 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by derek.fulmer
Are pista/track bars necessary for any certain event or are good road drop bars fine? I'm honing in on the last bits of my build and have been set on getting Deda or Cinelli pista bars but was curious if one style has advantages over another.
Good road drops are fine unless you plan on doing a lot of standing starts like sprinters do.

"Track Bars" are only called "Track" because they are made specifically for use on the track (no place to install brake levers, etc..). This is because on the track you do standing starts that you don't do on the road. Standing starts using road bars will bruise your forearms.
Old 09-17-14, 10:19 PM
derek.fulmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
Road bars are fine for most

Just be warned-
the 2 track bars you mentioned are about the deepest made. There will be a massive difference in drop and reach between those and normal road drops.
What bars would you recommend? I understand the purpose of the deep drop, as mentioned by carleton, but is there any reason not to use them?
Old 09-17-14, 10:23 PM
700wheel

I use Cinelli criterium bars as does another rider at my track - they give me clearance for my arms (mine are from the 1980s). These bars are in production again.
https://www.cinelli.it/site/index.php...emid=9&lang=en
Old 09-18-14, 08:04 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots/most people ride regular road bars at my track. Ive only seen a couple people with deep sprint bars or anything track specific in some way.

I use a 'classic' style road bar and actually very happy with it. Also you usually go a little bit narrower on the track (although I prefer narrow on road now too).

Old 09-18-14, 08:26 AM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What bars would you recommend? I understand the purpose of the deep drop, as mentioned by carleton, but is there any reason not to use them?
I wasn't really advocating for or against either type of bar- just pointing out that the bars are so different in reach and drop that it can be a major change in regards to fit..
Old 09-18-14, 08:33 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Track drops were made when bike frames were made so that proper fit involved "a fistful of seatpost." If you wanted to get into a low sprint position, you needed either very deep drops, or a deep-drop stem, or both. Now, bike frames are made to generally fit a rider with a lot more seatpost - most headtubes are pretty short, especially for track bikes, so that a rider can set up both a mass-start or sprint position, AND a position with aerobars (usually involves mounting a stem quite a bit lower). So, when you see high-level riders using sprint bars, they often have a positive rise stem. Because they like the bars, but their bike doesn't require them to use those bars in order to get a low position. [there are tons of examples but here's one of nothstein and a guy whose name i'm blanking on, and it's a funny picture to use for example because of their faces. but look at their stems.]

Anyway, track sprinters use track drops for forearm clearance - mostly for standing starts. And now, the trend is going over to super shallow bars like the Scatto, which offer a ton of clearance and you can use it with a more ordinary stem.

If you rarely or never do standing starts you're better off with a standard road bar.

I use a Ritchey Classic, and I wish it came in a 38. Very occasionally I get "sprint bruises" on my forearms. Another good bar is the Pro Vibe 7S Round, which also has a criterium bend.
Old 09-18-14, 08:36 AM
carleton
Elitist

The purpose is not for the deep drop. The purpose is to clear the forearms when you are directly over the bars.

Notice that road bars have a "flat" top bar that is straight across. Track bars start curving down close to the stem.

You cannot get into this position using standard road bars (look at the arms):

Old 09-18-14, 09:16 AM
carleton
Elitist

Notice how the handles have nothing directly above them:

Now look at these road bars:

That's how you get bruises when you do this using road handlebars:

Old 09-18-14, 02:48 PM
gl98115

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
[there are tons of examples but here's one of nothstein and a guy whose name i'm blanking on, and it's a funny picture to use for example because of their faces. but look at their stems.]
Jens Fielder and Nothstein in the sprint final at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

Old 09-18-14, 03:02 PM
carleton
Elitist

Yeah manufacturers figured out that "compact" geometry bikes were stiffer and lighter. Triangles got smaller and seatposts got longer.
Old 09-19-14, 08:56 AM
Shotland
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any lingo I should get a hang of? For example, what in the world is a split?
Old 09-19-14, 11:33 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Any lingo I should get a hang of? For example, what in the world is a split?
A split is a timing of a subset of event. For example, watching Jens's Hour yesterday, I was keeping an eye on his lap splits - the timing of his individual laps (when people are pursuiting or team pursuiting, coaches with stopwatches will be yelling their splits). Usually just two digits - Jens turning "seven-sevens" means that he was doing 17.7 second laps.
Old 09-19-14, 11:40 AM
700wheel

.............. For example, watching Jens's Hour yesterday, I was keeping an eye on his lap splits...............
By any chance do you have his lap time for the second lap - I can't catch it on the UCI website replay video (I got all the times for up to 4k except fpr that one.
Thanks.
Old 09-19-14, 12:25 PM
Shotland
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A split is a timing of a subset of event. For example, watching Jens's Hour yesterday, I was keeping an eye on his lap splits - the timing of his individual laps (when people are pursuiting or team pursuiting, coaches with stopwatches will be yelling their splits). Usually just two digits - Jens turning "seven-sevens" means that he was doing 17.7 second laps.
Ah, ok. and five-eights would be 15.8? are there splits for more than one lap? for example, a 10 lap split?
Old 09-19-14, 12:32 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

sure - for a pursuit (individual or team) people will pay attention to their kilometer splits.
Old 09-19-14, 01:20 PM
Shotland
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sure - for a pursuit (individual or team) people will pay attention to their kilometer splits.
And what does pursuit mean? Is there a track lingo dictionary somewhere?
Old 09-19-14, 02:40 PM
700wheel

And what does pursuit mean? Is there a track lingo dictionary somewhere?
Some track races briefly described here
Velodrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For pursuit see here
Individual pursuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These might not be the best descriptions but you can always search the internet.

The US rulebook is here USA Cycling Rule Book - USA Cycling see Chapter 2 - Track Racing
Old 09-20-14, 10:05 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Good road drops are fine unless you plan on doing a lot of standing starts like sprinters do.
Adding some comments because most so far are sprint oriented...

If you're mostly an endurance rider (which might include someone who's a road sprinter), road bars are generally fine, but you might want to go narrower than you ride on the road so you can fit through small spaces. Also, Carleton showed an extreme example of road bars that are square when you look down from the top-- those would probably get annoying if you road them on the track-- you will spend *way* more time in the drops than on the top, and jumping hard out of the saddle could give you bruises with those bars. Also, the tumors next to the stem could be a problem if you ride madison-- they may be comfortable for cruising, but getting on and off that spot in a way that you're controlling the bike well might be trickier (or might be fine, depending on the rider).
Old 09-21-14, 12:20 PM
Owen21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So got knocked off my bike by a 4x4 jeep & trailer the other day. 16 stitches in elbow and eye socket. Gravel rash, concussion, tore some of my finger off and received various gashes and bruises.

You probably all understand how being active is important to us but obviously also being sensible and careful. I know I can do day to day activities but don't fancy doing any heavy lifting (I want to but won't lol). Have any of you had a similar injury and kept active?

i was thinking about gentle riding/walking/rowing, and maybe some low intensity plyometric work? Plus maybe some stretching where I can obviously not compromising any of my cuts.

I arent at at work till sunday soboredom will kill me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.