Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track Tire Questions

Old 04-17-14, 06:11 PM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=carleton;16680083]I like Vredestein Fortezza TriComp because they are relatively inexpensive, durable, and support high PSI for a clincher (up to 160, I think).

Conti GP 4000s are a good standby. The upsides are that they are easy to find and the rubber is nice grippy and supple. But they can be expensive at MSRP and only go up to 120PSI, which is fine if you aren't a heavy rider.

Well I'm, 210ish and I agree with you on the Conti's. In anycase I think I'll try the TriComps.
Question>>Can I use the Colors ones as most of my racing will be on concrete or Asphalt. I have 404 Tubulars that will be my main wheels.
Old 04-17-14, 06:17 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Not the Slowest
Well I'm, 210ish and I agree with you on the Conti's. In anycase I think I'll try the TriComps.
Question>>Can I use the Colors ones as most of my racing will be on concrete or Asphalt. I have 404 Tubulars that will be my main wheels.
Color should be fine. Just avoid any tires that have two different rubber compounds. Some tires have hard (fast) rubber in the middle and grippy (slow) rubber on the sides for cornering. That can be unnerving on the track as you will transfer from sides to middle and back based on your speed.
Old 04-17-14, 08:19 PM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Color should be fine. Just avoid any tires that have two different rubber compounds. Some tires have hard (fast) rubber in the middle and grippy (slow) rubber on the sides for cornering. That can be unnerving on the track as you will transfer from sides to middle and back based on your speed.
I got it, Once you go Black you'll stay on the track.I'll just keep this simple and get the black.

Thanks

Last edited by Not the Slowest; 04-17-14 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-17-14, 09:00 PM
jmikami

Bikes: Veloforma for my primary.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Not the Slowest
I got it, Once you go Black you stay on the track.'ll just keep this simple .

Thanks
Yes for sure. I raced on an set of vittoria Atlanta Golds last year and they were very slick and I slid around on concrete even - that never happened on my black conti sprinters. I am going to train as hard as I can on them and use them up the first part of the season, but I am back to black only for new purchases. Just got myself a set of all black Vittoria Cronos and I am very much looking forward to using them for races - and hope they last the season on concrete.

I will be using Conti sprinters for my training/backup race wheels this year.
Old 04-27-14, 09:54 AM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just adding anecdotes:

Just wore through the Sonderklasse II on my 88s. Actually, the front still has life, but the rear developed a small pit (3-4mm) exposing the layer below. I know a lot of you use tubulars until failure, but it seemed like a good time to replace, considering that the season is just heating up. I got considerably more life out of these tires than I expected, doing a ton of racing and training, both indoor and outdoor on these tires. I had one episode where I slipped a couple times during a warm-up on the wood at Carson, but it was such an unusual/isolated occurrence (and during the usual paceline warm-up so speed was fine), that I have to attribute it to some external factor. Highly recommend these tires.

Since I have new set of race wheels for indoor, the 88s have been knocked down to outdoor race wheels (and probably training, since my wife now has my clincher wheels). I decided to save a few bucks and try the Tempo II this time. I think they are virtually the same tire as the Sonderklasse II (Tempo II have a super fine tread pattern).

On the new race wheels (disc/4-spoke), I went with the same Vittoria Crono CS that were the first tires on my 88s. Those did not last very long, as I raced them both indoor and outdoors. But they seemed very fast, and I will only be using them indoors this time around.
Old 04-27-14, 10:26 AM
jmikami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
I know a lot of you use tubulars until failure...
I do not. I use them until I see the tread is mostly gone in small parts or there is damage, but rarely do I wait until failure ... that could be far more costly than replacing them early. Especially on the track, but even for clinchers on the road.

Racing on end of life tubulars is not a fun way to end a season.

How much life did you get from the crono cs? I just bought two of those to replace mine and I am curious what you got. I will be racing at Alpenrose and Marymoor, so not the smoothest of tracks.
Old 04-27-14, 10:44 AM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmikami
How much life did you get from the crono cs? I just bought two of those to replace mine and I am curious what you got. I will be racing at Alpenrose and Marymoor, so not the smoothest of tracks.
I wish I could give a better answer here. I'm keeping more precise track of this now, but from what I can put together I think I did about 15 events (mostly omniums, a little more than half on concrete). I may have also done a little training on them, but not much.
Old 04-27-14, 03:50 PM
slindell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmikami
I do not. I use them until I see the tread is mostly gone in small parts or there is damage, but rarely do I wait until failure ... that could be far more costly than replacing them early. Especially on the track, but even for clinchers on the road.

Racing on end of life tubulars is not a fun way to end a season.

I had one crono go 2 years and over 100 miles at Marymoor then went on the front of a training wheel for another year. That last few have been victims of rugby practice bottle shards so not so lucky the last couple of years. But they do wear pretty well at least on the smooth concrete at Marymoor.
Old 05-01-14, 09:48 PM
carleton
Elitist

I had another inexplicable flat with a Conti Steher today at the track.

I have had set on my training wheels since last year. The front flatted today sometime after my event and packing up to leave. Time to find a new favorite tire.

I guess I should be grateful that it didn't happen while on the track. None of the Stehers ever flatted on the track. Only when hanging on the bike rack. Weird.
Old 05-01-14, 10:47 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had another inexplicable flat with a Conti Steher today at the track.

I have had set on my training wheels since last year. The front flatted today sometime after my event and packing up to leave. Time to find a new favorite tire.

I guess I should be grateful that it didn't happen while on the track. None of the Stehers ever flatted on the track. Only when hanging on the bike rack. Weird.
that last batch of Stehers made me basically give up on Conti all together.. I even stripped the old conti glue off like 8 wheels to switch to Mastic..
funny after all that the 2 stehers that are mounted are getting really good wear.. so the quality issues are spotty for sure..

maybe I'm not totally giving up on Continental- i am stretching a set of Sonderklasse II
Old 05-01-14, 11:04 PM
carleton
Elitist

I'm seriously considering going clincher for training wheels. What is the current word on that idea? I really liked my Mavic Ellipse when I had a set.

I have a beefy rear clincher wheel that I had made up as a backup being that it takes so much time, energy, and money to get a tubular replaced. I don't have a clincher front though...yet.

Thoughts?

Last edited by carleton; 05-01-14 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-01-14, 11:39 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I'm seriously considering going clincher for training wheels. What is the current word on that idea? I really liked my Mavic Ellipse when I had a set.

I have a beefy rear clincher wheel that I had made up as a backup being that it takes so much time, energy, and to get a tubular replaced. I don't have a clincher front though...yet.

Thoughts?
Nah, no need to go there. I've got some Vittoria road tubies on my training wheels and they are great so far. They're the Corsa EVO CX's (just looked), and I found them on blow-out somewhere for ~$50 a tire. Recommended.
Old 05-01-14, 11:49 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Nah, no need to go there. I've got some Vittoria road tubies on my training wheels and they are great so far. They're the Corsa EVO CX's (just looked), and I found them on blow-out somewhere for ~$50 a tire. Recommended.
That Vittoria gets great marks as a good wearing training tubular.

Im going to try the Vittoria Pista CS next. I have a set stretching that cost me about $50 each, ordered from the UK..
Old 05-01-14, 11:52 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
Im going to try the Vittoria Pista CS next. I have a set stretching that cost me about $50 each, ordered from the UK..
I'm curious about those too. I have heard bad things, but I'd love for that to be wrong. The price is right.
Old 05-02-14, 12:04 AM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I'm curious about those too. I have heard bad things, but I'd love for that to be wrong. The price is right.
first generation was bad for sure!
I had a pair maybe 4-5yrs ago and they were totally unimpressive.

the new set has a really nice look- sort of look to be a little narrower profile than the Stehers.. we'll see soon. I'm getting close to needing to mount a rear.
Old 05-30-14, 01:07 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bitingduck

- I've used the Tufo S3 Pro on the track, but never the lite (and I think I have S3 pros on most of my wheels right now). There are apparently a lot of differences among the various "S3" tires, but I know the pro works well, even at Carson. The Lite comes in various colors-- any that aren't black are probably a bad idea in Carson or any other steep smooth wood track.

I have some Tufo S3 Pro tires for my training wheels - The Tufo website recommends using their Tufo tape for gluing. Is this a good idea? Comments welcome.

Thanks
Old 05-30-14, 02:32 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've never used the tape- I generally use Vittoria Mastik 1.
Old 05-30-14, 04:15 PM
jmikami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no one I know uses tape on the track. glue. Fasttack (which is on the way out, even for me) and mastik are the only two most everyone I ask uses for the track.

I am going to be cleaning off fasttack and going mastik this month for my race wheels. Training wheels still have fasttack, but I am watching them closely.
Old 06-03-14, 07:52 AM
tsto

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using Vittoria Pista EVOs on my race wheels for the past 2 seasons. All racing has been on concrete outdoor tracks. My experience has been the same as others, a very nice race only tire... My single complaint with these is that they often don't fully seat at the valve stem when mounting. Due to the removable valve core there is a larger than normal bump at the valve which causes the tire to sit up on the rim. Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?
Old 06-03-14, 09:06 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
first generation was bad for sure!
I had a pair maybe 4-5yrs ago and they were totally unimpressive.

the new set has a really nice look- sort of look to be a little narrower profile than the Stehers.. we'll see soon. I'm getting close to needing to mount a rear.
Quinn - any new thoughts about the Pista CS? I'm curious how they stack up to Stehers.
Old 06-03-14, 10:24 AM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a beefy rear clincher wheel that I had made up as a backup being that it takes so much time, energy, and money to get a tubular replaced. I don't have a clincher front though...yet.

Thoughts?
i race on clinchers.

araya super aero 16h laced to custom phils. i use vittoria corsa sc tires for the bling.
Old 06-12-14, 08:11 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just installed the Pista Evo II CS tires, very nice tubulars indeed. Everyone at my shop was blown away by them, we had a good time trying to get 200psi as a test into them haha. Oh and pressure lasts maybe a few hours, don't even bother pumping them up before you get to the track.

Im pretty paranoid of them lasting, well not at all. Racing this weekend on them (outdoor wood) but thats probably it until Nationals in October (indoor). Kind of wishing I put the Chrono tires on instead, then I could have used them more.
Old 06-12-14, 08:24 PM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
Oh and pressure lasts maybe a few hours, don't even bother pumping them up before you get to the track.
Ha. Yes, I swear Vittoria uses the thinnest latex possible. My Crono are nearly entirely flat by the next morning. While my Continental Sonderklasse/Tempo (butyl) will lose like 10psi over a week.
Old 06-13-14, 09:59 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't even bother letting the air out of mine after a workout now because I have found that they are down 20-30 psi by the next morning. Nice tires to ride, though.
Old 06-13-14, 08:23 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chickened out. Im convinced these tires are made out of fairy dust and unicorn farts and are only going to last a few rotations, so decided to save them.

Track is super smooth though, next time Ill bust them out for the flying laps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.