Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Galaxy A5 Android question...

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 01-26-18, 06:07 AM
Sand_Dune

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I've just got my upgraded Galaxy A5 with built in ANT+. I'm looking to mount cadence, speed and heart rate monitors initially and optimise my training out on the bike...plus GPS features it's a good cheap bundle utilising the features of my mobile phone. All good so far - in theory anyways.

First question: This relates to mounting the unit. I have looked long and hard for an up front mount that will be in my field of view when I am riding. 'Tinternet' is full of Galaxy A5 mounts on the bars and top tube but nothing extending out in front. I must be missing something - to be fair I am old and crap ! Anyone any advice on a suitable up front mount?

Second Question: Anyone on here have advice / experience on using the Galaxy A5 as a bicycle computer / GPS?

(Phone specs: Galaxy A5 (2017) SM-A520F, 3000mAh battery

Many thanks, in advance

Sand_Dune

Last edited by Sand_Dune; 01-26-18 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-26-18, 08:44 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
https://deltacycle.com/smartphone-bicycle-holder-black your phone should fit in that, they make an XL if it is bigger. As far as out front, you probably will have to fab something up. Where this mounts will be a quick glance and you should be able to see everything well.

Strava or RideWithGPS should work for your app. Those will record your ride. As far as using it as a true GPS, you would need to use Google Maps or something like that. There may be an app out there that will transform your screen into a bike computer with live updated info. You would need to look more into that.
Old 01-26-18, 09:21 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
If you don't already have sensors, you might consider ones that support ANT+ and BT.
Old 01-26-18, 10:18 AM
Sand_Dune

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have my eye on some reasonably priced ANT+ sensors for heart, cadence and speed...

The absence of up front brackets for the phone is gnawing at me. SURELY there is an option.

Had a good look around the available apps. I'll wait until I have all the kit and test a few of them out.
Old 01-26-18, 11:30 AM
Sand_Dune

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I am answering my own question here.... (in my defence it has taken my several hours on t'internet searching. (Did I mention I was old and crap! )

For out front holders, the trick appears to be sourcing a suitable case for the phone with a 'sporting' adaptor....thereafter sourcing an out front clamp.

An example case and outfront clamp are from Quadlock and look very well engineered indeed. But at $34.95 and $35.95 respectively. I would hope so! Alas well outside my budget.

I ended up with a half way compromise a sort of half on and half out front from the bars at £7.99 from Decathalon on clearance. It had good reviews so.... sensors next!
Old 01-26-18, 11:35 AM
Sand_Dune

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can't post links yet.....google search for: Best bicycle phone mounts: buyer's guide and recommendations.

A useful start for 10 guide there by Bike Radar.