Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

And away he goes!

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

And away he goes!

Old 04-21-20, 09:12 PM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
And away he goes!

Hi, I'm Jake, I post in C&V forum when I'm in my manic bikeforum phases, not at all in the off years. There are other things in life. Like kids!
My 4.5-year-old has really enjoyed riding his balance bike to school (back when we went to school), and has been missing his bike rides, as well as getting too tall for the little wooden radio flyer pushbike. I picked up a HEAVY but decent bmx-style bike with hand brake, did quite a bit of adjusting, took the pedals off, and he didn't like how it steered and went back to the little wooden one. A few weeks later he'd gotten used to it and would ride it on our 2.5-mile every-other-day walk around the neighborhood. Yesterday we convinced him to try pedaling, and he had a breakthrough! Discovered that he can pedal and go SO MUCH FASTER! Today, he mastered the coaster brake as well, and can stop pretty well with both the coaster and the hand brake. We spent about two hours outside riding up and down the alley. Little brother is on a push tricycle, and keeps asking to go "ride bike around block". They still both pile into the trailer (Thule Cadence) for our longer / 10-15 mile trips. It's getting a bit cramped!

Hmm... looking at this picture I see an adjustment on the Kettler I'd not noticed before! I can bring pedals closer to his feet.
Likes For rocks in head:
Old 04-25-20, 09:04 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
A race? My money is on the brakeless fixie rider.

Old 04-30-20, 01:46 PM
iwazi

Bikes: 1992 Schwinn High Plains / 2010 Diamondback Podium 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice! My little guy is almost 7 and now on his first geared bike, but I remember those first weeks when he went from a balance bike to a pedaling. Every trip up and down the sidewalk was a new and exciting adventure. He was proud to beat the older kid next door to it. The neighbor kid was still using training wheels, and told us it wasn’t safe for my son to be riding without them.