Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Helmet for large head

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Helmet for large head

Old 07-15-20, 06:01 AM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Helmet for large head

I want to replace my aging road helmet. It is a Louis Garneau size XL. I wear a size 8 hat and have an oblong head shape. The Garneau was the best fit I could find years ago but they don't seem to have an equivalent now. I ride road only and want something well ventilated. I can't seem to find much online. Suggestions?
Old 07-15-20, 09:56 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Two that I'm aware of are the Giro Syntax MIPS and Bell Falcon MIPS. Both are available in XL and should fit your head. Not sure about the shape though. And it seems like everything else bicycle related in these COVID-19 times that helmets are in short supply so finding one may not be easy.
Likes For August West:
Old 07-16-20, 10:09 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Giro Synthe helmet run pretty big.
Old 07-16-20, 02:11 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
bucket?....................just kidding i couldn't resist
Old 07-16-20, 02:51 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
I have this (last years model in red) in extra large, but it is showing out of stock at moment:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/al...ext=60820-3052

Last edited by travbikeman; 07-16-20 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-16-20, 04:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Like Shoes Its better to go to a shop and try it on in person.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-16-20, 05:47 PM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I, too, have an oblong head,* and the most recent helmet I’ve bought that fit well was a Giro Aeon. (Also light, and lots of ventilation.) I tried a POC helmet, and it was painfully round on my oblong noggin. Sent it right back.

*Also makes finding glasses that fit well hard. Not many frames have narrow lenses and long temples.
Old 07-16-20, 06:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Now Bell Sports Owns Both: Giro more oblong , Bell more Round..
Old 07-17-20, 07:32 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Giro Synthe helmet run pretty big.
I also have a big, "long oval" shaped head and have not found the perfect helmet yet. I currently have the Giro Synthe and it is working well-enough for me even though my noggin' is at the very limits of it's size adjustability.

I recently had the revelation that in order to block sweat from my eyes, I started wrapping a sweatband on the outside of my helmet straps so as to not screw-up the sizing on my helmet which gives me a headache. (Pictures of what I mean here) After making that adjustment, this is the first cycling season I've had in a long time where my helmet is no longer causing me head pain and I can see out of my glasses for the entire ride

I find it frustrating that the bicycle industry seems to refuse to acknowledge that heads have different shapes. While there are helmets in the motorcycle industry for "long oval" heads, no such thing exists for cycling.

Old 07-17-20, 07:51 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
I've got a size 8 head, too, and developed a habit of trying on helmets just about every time I pass a display of them. If I find a display model fits comfortably I'll open a boxed one and try it. If it fits I buy it. I've got two ready and waiting. (I go through a helmet per year).
Old 07-17-20, 07:48 PM
Panther61

Bikes: 2018 FX4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree it certainly is a challenge to find a Helmet for those of us with XL or even XXL heads. I have two Specialized MAX helmets that fit well but you may have to search because like other brands mentioned earlier, this series appears to be out of stock at many dealers. Maybe you can have better luck?

Last edited by Panther61; 07-18-20 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-17-20, 08:28 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Try Kali Protectives. When you call the owner picks up the phone. I am sure he will help you. I have a Kali and it fits perfectly. Highly rated for protection by CR.
Old 07-17-20, 09:30 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
Giro Bishop

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-18-20, 06:32 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
The POC Omne Air Spin may fit. It's oblong and runs larger than spec. My noggin is 23", on the cusp between medium and large so I ordered the Omne in large, but it's just slightly too big for my head -- although I usually wear a bandanna which takes up the slack.

The Omne is made in China to POC specs and runs about half the price of the Octal and Ventral helmets. Right now Nashbar has 'em on sale for $120.

It's a bit heavier than some road helmets due to the thicker foam and "roof" that runs ear to ear. It's more of a well ventilated commuter helmet than a high end roadie helmet. But it looks less bulbous and mushroom-heady than POC's Octal and Ventral, despite having very similar profiles. I suspect it's an optical illusion created by the very different vent patterns. The Octal and Ventral have a very distinctive appearance that some folks hate to love or love to hate. The Omne looks more conventional.

While I got it for errands and casual rides on my hybrid, I ended up wearing it more often on road bike rides in summer because the air flow is so good, better than my Bell Formula MIPS (which isn't bad at all, and a better overall value than the POC).

My only gripe about the POC Omne is the thicker foam and lower fit on the skull means I can see the helmet overhanging my brow when I'm in the drops. It would be unsuited to TT/tri-bikes in the aero bars because of the overhanging brow. But for mostly upright rides it's very good.
Old 07-18-20, 10:36 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Excellent, inexpensive Amazon helmet

I have a large, round head, picture Charlie Brown. Got one of these, and like it a lot. Gonex Adult Bike Helmet, Cycling Road Helmet with Safety Light, 24 Integrated Flow Vents, Adjustable 22.5-24.5 inches (Red)

Its very light, and has a wheel at the rear that you turn to tighten it around your head after you buckle the chin strap. Very light, well ventilated, and has bug netting inside that covers the front vents.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 07-20-20, 12:03 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Alien cyclists?
Old 07-22-20, 10:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
I have a large, round head, picture Charlie Brown. Got one of these, and like it a lot. Gonex Adult Bike Helmet, Cycling Road Helmet with Safety Light, 24 Integrated Flow Vents, Adjustable 22.5-24.5 inches (Red)

Its very light, and has a wheel at the rear that you turn to tighten it around your head after you buckle the chin strap. Very light, well ventilated, and has bug netting inside that covers the front vents.
A great helmet is only great if rigorously tested and built to exceed tests. Cheap helmets may have some fun features or might be light but without proper testing and really good construction it may not protect well. I have high doubts Jeff Bezos or Gonex is going to do much testing and serious design work to make a safer helmet. If I were them I wouldn't there is no money in that, The secret to companies like Gonex and others on Amazon and eBay are take a design someone else made and copy the looks or general design and get it sold extra cheap. It might be fine for their duffle bags or phone arm bags that is not safety equipment but a helmet not so much.
Old 07-24-20, 01:54 PM
Oli_Aponte

Bikes: Custom steel bicycles made by me and a Felt B12

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dont know what hat size I am, but the Large Kask helmets fit me pretty good, as do Giro
Old 07-24-20, 02:41 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
My big head is long, front to back but narrow. I usually have to get the biggest helmet I can find so it doesn't uncomfortably press on my forehead but usually ends up being loose side to side.
Now I have a large Leatt DBX 2.0. It's a cross country mountain bike helmet but I use it for all my road riding as well. It's by far the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned. I broke one in a MTB crash and replaced with the exact same model. I've never liked a helmet enough to replace it with the same thing before. If anybody local sells Leatt I would recommend checking them out if a helmet visor doesn't bother you.
Old 07-25-20, 03:13 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanders
I want to replace my aging road helmet. It is a Louis Garneau size XL. I wear a size 8 hat and have an oblong head shape. The Garneau was the best fit I could find years ago but they don't seem to have an equivalent now. I ride road only and want something well ventilated. I can't seem to find much online. Suggestions?
If you're replacing a helmet now the Bontrager Q-cell helmet is a good idea. It is a bit oblong but the most important feature is that it is designed to prevent concussion whereas other helmets follow the International standard which is designed to prevent skull fracture. Most of the bad head injuries isn't skull fracture but concussion. And I had one of those and had no awareness because no short term memory for two years before a friend got me to a proper neurologist. Most of these guys treat aging diseases and forget how to handle concussion. Neurologists that work with football teams are far more familiar with treating concussion. I have to take medication for the rest of my life and it screws up my balance. So I couldn't pass a drunk test under any conditions. In fact, I have to retain a visual horizon to walk. Good thing that bikes balance themselves. This crash was caused by a large number of coincidences that would be almost impossible to repeat.