Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Wd40

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-20, 04:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
@cyccommute is a chemical expert, and he's right that a jar of mineral spirits is the most efficient by many measures.

@robertorolfo, I dump my used mineral spirits on the ground or the road. There might be better places, and I'm open to hearing about them, but it's rarely more than a pint, and I don't do it often at all. We all dispose of crap consciously or not. I even have to think about what's going on when I flush my toilet, since we have a limited-capacity septic system. There's no such thing as being totally clean, only as clean as you can be with reasonable effort. My once-a-year dumping surely has less impact on the environment than driving a car a mile.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-14-20, 04:47 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Funny you should ask, because I have a very sensitive sense of smell, and the littlest odors really bother me. This is synthetic and has no offensive odor.
Wow, really? Are we talking about the same stuff? Bright red? I'm fairly certain they only have one version of it.

Perhaps it's because I'm dealing with a larger quantity with my car (that leaks ATF), but something about it really bothers me. It's almost more of a sensation than a particular smell, as it is hard to describe. But maybe it's just me...

Originally Posted by noglider
@robertorolfo, I dump my used mineral spirits on the ground or the road. There might be better places, and I'm open to hearing about them, but it's rarely more than a pint, and I don't do it often at all. We all dispose of crap consciously or not. I even have to think about what's going on when I flush my toilet, since we have a limited-capacity septic system. There's no such thing as being totally clean, only as clean as you can be with reasonable effort. My once-a-year dumping surely has less impact on the environment than driving a car a mile.
When I lived in Italy they had a big advertising campaign on TV about dumping out used automotive fluids in nature, or down drains. More recently, learning that the NYC sewer grates with the little fish icon stamped on them drain directly into the rivers was eye opener.
Old 12-14-20, 04:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@robertorolfo, if my once-a-year dumping is serious and there is a better alternative, I'm all ears. Also, if it is worse than driving a car a mile, I'd like to know that, too. I'm assuming, and maybe I shouldn't.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-14-20, 05:59 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
@cyccommute is a chemical expert, and he's right that a jar of mineral spirits is the most efficient by many measures.

diluting 8 quarts of used motor oil with a pint of solvent for recycling is better than dumping solvent in the wild.

My grandfather would dribble used motor oil at the edge of the lawn adjacent to the sidewalk, 50 years ago... even then, did not like that idea.
Old 12-14-20, 06:09 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
Dumping any petroleum products on the ground to dispose of them is quite frankly unimaginable to me and i just retired from a 30 year stint working for a bulk fuel and heavy oil supplier.
Old 12-14-20, 06:35 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
@robertorolfo, if my once-a-year dumping is serious and there is a better alternative, I'm all ears. Also, if it is worse than driving a car a mile, I'd like to know that, too. I'm assuming, and maybe I shouldn't.
Proper household solvent disposal per NYC Dept. of Environmental Conservation:

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/material...df/solvent.pdf
Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 12-14-20, 06:46 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
How do you dispose of your mineral spirits when finish with them?
We have household hazardous disposal pick up in my city. Most municipalities do. But, frankly, I don’t have that much material for disposal. I clean a chain once before I install it an never have to clean it again. A dozen chains is about 45,000 miles of riding. That’s between 9 and 15 years of riding. I have 8 bikes that I ride at varying levels of mileage so it could be even longer. I’ve got a quart can of mineral spirits that is roughly 20 years old and I’ve only used about half of it which includes using it for other purposes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-14-20, 07:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

OK thanks folks. I'll change my practices immediately. I'll find my local disposal place. I'm not in NYC currently, I'm in the hamlet of High Falls, which is in the town Marbletown, NY (Ulster County).

Old 12-14-20, 07:53 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I collect old solvents, paints, batteries, bulbs and whatever else and take it the county hazmat disposal site once or twice a year. And it's on my way into town, so it's quite convenient. Unfortunately, I don't think everyone has such a relatively easy option.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-14-20, 08:00 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by garryg
Dumping any petroleum products on the ground to dispose of them is quite frankly unimaginable to me and i just retired from a 30 year stint working for a bulk fuel and heavy oil supplier.
Agreed, and that would make you acutely aware of all aspects of this discussion.

I have been a mech/tech all my life, lots of work at home, bikes, cars and mc's.

I have a cleaning/changing pan that accumulates a little castoff, muck, etc., solvents and cleaners evaporate off then I wipe out the leftovers and drop the rags off at a shop for recycling. They are really never that dirty and could probably go in the garbage.
Old 12-14-20, 08:13 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I found a beat-up aluminum cake pan in the metal bin at the dump, and I use it to set my oily rags outside in the air where they can dry out. If I set it out on the hot pavement of the driveway in the summer, it only takes a short while before anything oily and solvent-filled becomes dry and benign. I'm fortunate to have an outdoor fire pit which I use to burn my oily shop rags if its cold or wet out or if I am impatient. I could not imagine living in a situation where I couldn't dispose of my rags and unwanted solvents that way. I'm so careful about anything combustible lying around. Knock on wood!
Old 12-14-20, 08:15 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Read up about “no Camaro SS or Z28’s in California or Washington,” merely due to the copper in their brake pads, for perspective

Much of it is all relative. A Prius, per one study, is not environmentally cleaner than a Honda Civic until about 250,000 miles, and does not consider the environmental impact of the ore needed to make the batteries, much less a replacement set.

Of course, it’s all on the internet. As if it’s credible.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-14-20 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-14-20, 09:26 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Yeah. Environmental impacts. Don't forget about what goes into your tires, and what comes out of them.
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-tire-chemical
Old 12-14-20, 09:40 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by garryg
Ever seen a crude oil drilling site?
Old 12-14-20, 09:47 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Ever seen a crude oil drilling site?
Exactly what I was thinking.

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-14-20 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-14-20, 10:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A few years ago Friction Facts published results of their methodical tests of many popular chain lubes and all purpose lubes. Regular WD-40 aerosol ranked near the bottom, but still good enough for most purposes. It ranked slightly better than Park CL-1, which I've used for years on my hybrids for wet and dry weather rides because the Park stuff resists washing out easily.

So plain old WD-40 works fine as a bike lube. They do have "better" lubes now for bike chains and other purposes. But the old WD-40 is a good all purpose elixir, for degunking crusty and grimy chains, displacing water and a decent lube.

My preferred chain lubes for my go-fast road bikes are melted wax and Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry or Gold, which rank near the top of Friction Facts tests. But I can't claim the lubes make a bit of difference in my average speeds. They just keep the chains a bit cleaner, but need to be reapplied more frequently.

I'd need to be 40 years younger and pushing the limits before I'd notice any difference in chain lubes. I'm at the age when the main thing I notice about chain lubes is my knees getting stiff squatting to lube the chains.

Last edited by canklecat; 12-14-20 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-14-20, 10:27 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
Listen guys ,we all need to be responsible for this planet by the choices we make . I respect the poster who mentioned quite casually that he dumps solvent on the ground. I do not believe he will continue that practice.
Just because industry may be polluting at huge levels does not excuse us from making the right personal choices.
Likes For garryg:
Old 12-15-20, 02:18 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I dump my used mineral spirits on the ground or the road. There might be better places, and I'm open to hearing about them,
Every landfill site, where I live and I frequent four each week (not so much in the winter). Each landfill site has a solvent disposal container, for most solvents, oils etc.

I use WD40 to clean my chains and do so on the bike, as a rule. I WD40 each link and then wipe off excess. If a lot of debris has accumulated on my chain, I use a Q-tip to clean between links (this takes about an extra four or five minutes. Once clean, I apply my ProLink, wipe off the excess and Bob's your uncle.

I also use WD40 to clean out my freewheels without disassembly. Once flushed out, I blow (with my lips pursed) as much of the WD40 out of the freewheel (wish that I had a compressor). Then, in goes a bit of ProLink and, once again, Bob's your...

Been doing this for a long time now and results seem OK to me.
Old 12-15-20, 05:43 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Diesel fuel is cheaper & works better.
Old 12-15-20, 06:19 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Diesel fuel is cheaper & works better.
I agree, but since bulk kerosene is available at my local filling station that is my preference, as the odour is much more benign, and the price premium is not enough to matter considering the quantity needed over time. Kerosene is also my preferred accelerant for initiating bonfires.
Old 12-15-20, 07:51 PM
ramzilla

Everybody should know that all places that sell motor oil are required (by law) to accept & recycle used motor oil. Take all your waste oil back to any auto parts store & dump it into their receptacle for used oil. No big deal. I soak all my stuff in diesel fuel. I use primary & secondary containment. I pour used diesel into a container & allow contaminants to settle on the bottom. Then, I decant the clean diesel into another container. After a while, I accumulate a few pints of sludge. I take it down to my auto parts store & dump it into their tank. No worries. Be good. Have fun.
Old 12-15-20, 08:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

OK folks. I promise I won't dump improperly anymore! I will also spread the word to others to dispose properly.

Likes For noglider:
Old 12-15-20, 08:09 PM
ramzilla

Funny thing. I used to work in a auto parts store. For about a year or so. Back in the day. When I was young. I was the assistant manager. So, I practically ran the place. Around 1974. We sold a lot of motor oil. We had a big square 200 gallon steel tank near the back door for returned waste oil. There was a company that came around once a month to pump out the tank. They paid us something like $0.50/gallon for the used oil. So, used oil is definitely valuable. They would pump out the tank. Measure the amount. And, write me a check. On the spot. I often wonder why these drive through oil change places charge a "disposal fee" for used oil. It's a rip off. They're actually making money off the waste oil. Because it's valuable.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 12-15-20, 08:18 PM
ramzilla

Originally Posted by old's'cool
I agree, but since bulk kerosene is available at my local filling station that is my preference, as the odour is much more benign, and the price premium is not enough to matter considering the quantity needed over time. Kerosene is also my preferred accelerant for initiating bonfires.
Never tried kerosene. But, it sounds pretty good. It's what jet airplanes use. Probably very similar to diesel and, a little more refined. Maybe I'll pick up a gallon and try it out. Thanks. Be good. Have fun.
Old 12-16-20, 01:09 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
OK folks. I promise I won't dump improperly anymore! I will also spread the word to others to dispose properly.
Atta boy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.