Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice on 2 Bike Hitch Carrier

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-02-21, 08:58 AM
frjeff

Bikes: Sixthreezero EVRYJourney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Trying to narrow down a decent, budget friendly 2 bike platform bike carrier for our sixthreezero EVRYJourney bikes.
Debating between the Swagman Chinook and theHollywood Sport Rider.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-02-21, 09:45 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I had a Hollywood, you have to be careful that you have the hook over the top tube securely, and the it and the frame are clean, and the padding doesn't have a hole, and any cables that are routed on the top of the top tube are padded under the cable. Or you will scratch the frame.
Check graigslist for used racks.
Likes For leob1:
Old 03-02-21, 10:04 AM
frjeff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Carrier

Originally Posted by leob1
I had a Hollywood, you have to be careful that you have the hook over the top tube securely, and the it and the frame are clean, and the padding doesn't have a hole, and any cables that are routed on the top of the top tube are padded under the cable. Or you will scratch the frame.
Check graigslist for used racks.

Thank you for the good advice!
Old 03-02-21, 10:26 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Of the two you're considering, the Swagman seems more robust, but personally, I'd get a Kuat Transfer if I was looking to spend less than $400. (I bit the bullet and got a Kuat Sherpa and have no regrets whatsoever.)
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-02-21, 10:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
I quickly googled that brand since it is not exactly one I keep up with and it looks like the bikes have fenders.
Most tray(platform) racks hook to the tire, which isnt OK with fenders.

The 2 you specifically ask about are frame connecting so thats great. The Swagman Dispatch is another option. Someone I ride with has a Dispatch and their bike hasnt fallen off yet so it clearly works.
Old 03-02-21, 10:35 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Allen AR200
Old 03-02-21, 10:50 AM
frjeff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fender Issue

Originally Posted by Rolla
Of the two you're considering, the Swagman seems more robust, but personally, I'd get a Kuat Transfer if I was looking to spend less than $400. (I bit the bullet and got a Kuat Sherpa and have no regrets whatsoever.)
Thinking front and rear fenders on our bikes will not play well with the Thansfer v2.However, their chat fellow said it will if I stick a piece of pool noodle between thee fender and the wheel hook. Not sure that is the most wise method.
Old 03-02-21, 01:46 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by frjeff
Thinking front and rear fenders on our bikes will not play well with the Thansfer v2.However, their chat fellow said it will if I stick a piece of pool noodle between thee fender and the wheel hook. Not sure that is the most wise method.
Ah. Yes, fenders do add some limitations. The pool noodle idea is probably sound, but could be expensive if it isn't. For freeway or moderate off-road driving, I'd want something more foolproof.
Old 03-02-21, 02:46 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
I have the older version of the Transfer 2 and my bike has SKS chromoplastic fenders. The rear fender is no issue at all, since the adjusting hook captures the front wheel. To be honest, I just push the retaining hook down on top of the fender until it's in firm contact with the tire. I know it's not advised. So far, no problem. I've driven hundreds of miles like this on interstate and two lane blacktops with no sign of imminent problems. Dunno if I'd want to do that off road, though. YMMV.
Old 03-02-21, 07:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
I would recommend a half-section of pipe insulation between the fender and tire -- i.e., under the fender. That way, the clamp can hold the wheel in place firmly without stressing the fender.

Anything you place above the fender is likely going to blow away at highway speeds, and then your clamp will be loose.
Old 03-02-21, 10:25 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
This is our hitch mount Thule rack. Our touring bikes have racks and fenders, which make a cross tube anchor point necessary. I purchased it from this company, and am well satisfied by the service and the rack's quality: https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Bike_Racks.aspx

The first time we used ours was on a 5,000 mile (round trip) road trip to get to the start of a 2 month tour. Unfortunately, I could not find it in recent catalogs.

Last edited by Doug64; 03-02-21 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-02-21, 10:59 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
I have a Swagman XTC2, which isn't rated for two 40 lb bikes, but what I like about it are the loops for holding the tires. I think they are more secure than the baskets used on the Swagman Chinook. SO I'd pick the Hollywood because it has the same type of loops,
Yes, I had my bikes fall off once, but I had a bike chain/lock looped around the frames and rack, and that just happened to keep them from scraping the pavement, The tires remained lashed in the loops too, I didn't pin the center strut that hooks onto the frames, and what do you know, the J hooks got slack, and it folded flat on its own.
Old 03-03-21, 08:36 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I just purchased a Chinook. It does the job well, doesn't move around too much and is very stable. I don't mind the frame hook, but I do put a microfiber towel around the top tube where the hook meets the frame, just to keep any wear to a minimum. I would recommend.
Old 03-03-21, 10:16 AM
frjeff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Swagman Chinook

Originally Posted by Snotrub
I just purchased a Chinook. It does the job well, doesn't move around too much and is very stable. I don't mind the frame hook, but I do put a microfiber towel around the top tube where the hook meets the frame, just to keep any wear to a minimum. I would recommend.
Thanks; you helped me decide on this one.
Likes For frjeff:
Old 04-24-21, 05:48 AM
rut3556

Bikes: 2021 Giant Escape 2 Disc

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
>>I'd get a Kuat Transfer if I was looking to spend less than $400. (I bit the bullet and got a Kuat Sherpa and have no regrets whatsoever.)<<

I started out wanting the Transfer 2, but the more I look into it the more I want the Sherpa 2 instead.