Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tire Shortage?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tire Shortage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-21, 11:15 AM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Tire Shortage?

The back tire on my folder is worn out. I mean down to the casing, rubber completely gone worn out.

But I can't find a tire anywhere. I tried the local bike shop first, of course. Then Nashbar, and BikeTiresDirect, and anything else I could find online (not Amazon, but that's just a thing with me).

I wouldn't think the size is that weird for a folder -- 40/406, 20x1.50. Isn't that pretty much the default for folding bikes?

I guess everyone, at least in cities, is biking these days rather than using public transportation. That's my story -- I've been biking so much I'm wearing stuff out at a phenomenal rate. The seat needs to be replaced, I had to replace the grip shifter a while back, the tubes have about half a dozen patches, the bottom bracket is feeling a bit rough, and now the back tire.

Any good tire sources anyone knows about?

Last edited by Inisfallen; 03-04-21 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-04-21, 12:55 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Yeah, Amazon's got 'em. Walmart's got 'em.

Sounds like this common tire is not in stock anywhere you would not deign to do business. C'est la vie.
Old 03-04-21, 01:09 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
These guys have 'em: https://www.utahtrikes.com/UTCAT-960.html I've ordered from the before, legit.
Old 03-04-21, 01:58 PM
Inisfallen

Anywhere I would not "deign" to do business?

I checked a bunch of places online, and a couple of local brick-and-mortar places. I've had a couple of bad experiences with Amazon and Amazon retailers, so I don't buy there.

Fortunately, another poster has a useful suggestion.
Old 03-04-21, 02:00 PM
sslonkosky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
https://thorusa.com/accessories/tires.htm has a Kenda tire and a Schwalbe tire in that size. $30 each plus $10 per order shipping for orders under $200.
Old 03-04-21, 02:00 PM
Inisfallen

Yep. Found them, ordered them.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-21, 02:08 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Inisfallen
The back tire on my folder is worn out. I mean down to the casing, rubber completely gone worn out.

But I can't find a tire anywhere. I tried the local bike shop first, of course. Then Nashbar, and BikeTiresDirect, and anything else I could find online (not Amazon, but that's just a thing with me).

I wouldn't think the size is that weird for a folder -- 40/406, 20x1.50. Isn't that pretty much the default for folding bikes?

I guess everyone, at least in cities, is biking these days rather than using public transportation. That's my story -- I've been biking so much I'm wearing stuff out at a phenomenal rate. The seat needs to be replaced, I had to replace the grip shifter a while back, the tubes have about half a dozen patches, the bottom bracket is feeling a bit rough, and now the back tire.

Any good tire sources anyone knows about?
There is no default size tire for folders. 20" 406 is common but other sizes are too. Look at the casing of your existing tires and you can usually find the size embossed or printed. Those sites you mentioned are OK. You could also google your bike maker and model and get info that way.
Old 03-04-21, 02:43 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
There is a shortage in tires from a manufacturer's perspective. We are having trouble getting exactly what we want, and having to be more open-minded toward different suppliers.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 03-04-21, 07:57 PM
calgarc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I got my tires from decathalon (Canada). some 20" btwin tires... they are not schwalbes but they are quit nice...

anything like that around you??
Old 03-05-21, 09:41 AM
Inisfallen

Originally Posted by calgarc
I got my tires from decathalon (Canada). some 20" btwin tires... they are not schwalbes but they are quit nice...

anything like that around you??
I bought them from the online retailer sslonkosky suggested. I'd never thought of checking out recumbent sellers, but I should have, plenty of small wheels there.

I bought Schwalbe tires (two, even though I really needed only one). We'll see if they live up to their flat-resistant claims. It would be nice if they did -- commuting everywhere in NYC involves lots of broken glass, bits of metal, who knows what else. I've had more than enough flats.
Old 03-05-21, 09:45 AM
calgarc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Inisfallen
I bought them from the online retailer sslonkosky suggested. I'd never thought of checking out recumbent sellers, but I should have, plenty of small wheels there.

I bought Schwalbe tires (two, even though I really needed only one). We'll see if they live up to their flat-resistant claims. It would be nice if they did -- commuting everywhere in NYC involves lots of broken glass, bits of metal, who knows what else. I've had more than enough flats.
I actually need aluminum wheels for my bike lolol I may have to check them out too...
Old 03-06-21, 03:23 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I bought Schwalbe 20x2 Big Apples last December at an online bike shop They were around $60 shipped for two, a lot less than what amazon charged, even with prime shipping. We don't have thorns here in NE Illinois, so flats not an issue.

I had worn out my 20x1.5 Kenda KWests, and wanted to try the Big Apples. We already have them on my wife's bike, and when coasting downhill she always overtakes and passes me. Haven't had a chance to really ride them til now. They do roll easier. They're also taller, My kickstand (yes, I use one) is now too short. Had to adjust my fenders..