Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-21, 06:56 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13706 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 2,502 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
I don't have any interesting stories about camping, but I could talk at length about this.
Pulled the lawn mower out of hibernation today. Shouldn't need a snow shovel again until November.
Old 04-18-21, 06:57 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11394 Post(s)
Liked 4,736 Times in 2,758 Posts
I saw these today.

Old 04-18-21, 07:00 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Well, I learned a thing today. Since getting the PM for the Domane, I could not get power data on my Garmin. I had a power sensor connected, but whatever I did the thing would not calibrate or report ride data. Then, had a “Duh, dumbass” moment when I found that the Garmin in the garage was pairing with the PM on the Kickr upstairs in the room over the garage. Unplugged that, paired the Stages, and away we go.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-18-21, 07:02 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Haven't been tent camping in over 20 years. This was our setup for our last trip.

Likes For rjones28:
Old 04-18-21, 07:02 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Just read - well, skimmed, really - Sheldon Brown's article on building wheels. Seems complicated. Maybe too complicated (says the man who successfully disassembled, cleaned, rebuilt, lubricated, and regulated several self-winding, day/date watches). I think maybe I should get comfortable truing wheels first before trying to build them, esp. since truing is part of the process.
At first, then it gets easier, like anything else.
Old 04-18-21, 07:07 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8826 Post(s)
Liked 2,950 Times in 1,729 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Pulled the lawn mower out of hibernation today. Shouldn't need a snow shovel again until November.
BITD when I lived in the lake effect NE Ohio snow belt, we frequently had 3 foot snow events in late April. They would melt quickly but still a PITA. I hope your supposition proves correct.
Old 04-18-21, 07:09 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8826 Post(s)
Liked 2,950 Times in 1,729 Posts
Haven't been tent camping in over 20 years. This was our setup for our last trip.

that's not Benson - Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-18-21, 07:10 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by DougRNS
that's not Benson - Sherlock Holmes
Correct. That's Max.
Old 04-18-21, 07:19 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10154 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Brood X is going to be nuts here. Their little holes are everywhere.

Old 04-18-21, 07:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
To me, camping always sounds like more fun than it actually turns out to be. "Sleep under the stars! Enjoy the quiet of the wild!" Yeah, and wake up in the middle of the night having to pee, in the freezing cold, while what sounds like a bear but is actually a squirrel rummages through the leaves all around your tent. Wake up to no coffee, like that time Mrs. GeneJockey and I went camping with her class, back when she was a teacher - it was late May in NorCal, so nobody expected it to rain, and so nobody closed up the camp stoves overnight.
Whenever I camped, I had roughly the same pattern: got through the first day on nothing but elation. Discontent at the lack of creature comforts would grow over the next couple of days, reaching its zenith on day 3 or so. After that, I'd settle in and really, really enjoy it, completely forgetting about whatever was going on "in real life." I never really looked forward to going home, but on the last day, I'd start thinking about it, "well, a hot shower would be awesome... and FOOD." My friends and I would go camping every year, and the first day back in civilization was always an act of overindulgence.
Old 04-18-21, 07:29 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22584 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha

It’s gonna be a noisy June.
Old 04-18-21, 07:39 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
The kids and I were involved in a program that involved a half dozen or more camping weekends every school year. We’d go the entire 3 days without bathing, and would come home smelling of smoke, fish, sweat, and everything else. My wife would meet us at the door, and make us leave all our clothes in the laundry room before we went any further in the house.
Old 04-18-21, 08:07 PM
ls01
he said member

Had a lousy ride today. Got accused of halfweeling the "ride leader " today. We've always ridden next to each other. In a 2 up scenario. Today he says I've been half wheeling him since we left the parking lot. (4 miles or so) And he is "supposed to be in front of me". Now, If this is a rule , I've never heard of it before.and I've been riding with this guy for a long time.
"This is a recovery ride and if you don't like it you can go ride somewhere else". I literally was shocked. I've been riding with this guy for years. Normally I would have told him to intercourse himself. This is the guy I camp with on longer trips. The guy I room with on our annual trips to Kentucky. I thought maybe I'm over reacting, so I held my tongue. It didn't get any better. He went on for a bit more.
For someone to accuse me of half wheeling, they might as well of called me a piece of shi$.
later in the ride one of the other guys pipes up with a "when I was riding with these pro's down in Florida and I effed up....." like I just had a life lesson or something. It was absolutely surreal.
It was everything I could do to keep riding with them.
This isn't the first incident that he's been like this however it is the worst.

Lately it's like I can't put a foot right. I'm going about my business like normal, all of a sudden I'm the outsider.
I don't think I've changed or am doing things different.
I just don't get it.
Old 04-18-21, 08:23 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11394 Post(s)
Liked 4,736 Times in 2,758 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Had a lousy ride today. Got accused of halfweeling the "ride leader " today. We've always ridden next to each other. In a 2 up scenario. Today he says I've been half wheeling him since we left the parking lot. (4 miles or so) And he is "supposed to be in front of me". Now, If this is a rule , I've never heard of it before.and I've been riding with this guy for a long time.
"This is a recovery ride and if you don't like it you can go ride somewhere else". I literally was shocked. I've been riding with this guy for years. Normally I would have told him to intercourse himself. This is the guy I camp with on longer trips. The guy I room with on our annual trips to Kentucky. I thought maybe I'm over reacting, so I held my tongue. It didn't get any better. He went on for a bit more.
For someone to accuse me of half wheeling, they might as well of called me a piece of shi$.
later in the ride one of the other guys pipes up with a "when I was riding with these pro's down in Florida and I effed up....." like I just had a life lesson or something. It was absolutely surreal.

Lately it's like I can't put a foot right. I'm going about my business like normal, all of a sudden I'm the outsider.
I just don't get it.
People are weird and they keep getting weirder.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-18-21, 08:27 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Weather forecast for tomorrow is a high of 74F, a full 30 degrees colder than yesterday. 68 on Wednesday. Riding weather, if I survive the second injection.

Old 04-18-21, 09:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8272 Post(s)
Liked 9,025 Times in 4,469 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha

Birds? Today when I was in the hills there was a mockingbird and he started doing a quail call.
Old 04-18-21, 09:17 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8272 Post(s)
Liked 9,025 Times in 4,469 Posts

I just don't get it.
That dude needs to get over himself. What a dick thing to say. If he didn't like the way you were riding he could have been a lot cooler about it.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-19-21, 03:24 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22584 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Birds? Today when I was in the hills there was a mockingbird and he started doing a quail call.
Periodical Cicadas. Big 17 year brood coming to the NE.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-19-21, 03:41 AM
ls01
he said member

Sorry about bringing Cycling into the group but that was really bothering me. Thanks for listening guys.
Likes For ls01:
Old 04-19-21, 06:05 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
We have snow forecast for tomorrow. We rarely need a shovel for April snows, thankfully.

Old 04-19-21, 06:07 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Well, I learned a thing today. Since getting the PM for the Domane, I could not get power data on my Garmin. I had a power sensor connected, but whatever I did the thing would not calibrate or report ride data. Then, had a “Duh, dumbass” moment when I found that the Garmin in the garage was pairing with the PM on the Kickr upstairs in the room over the garage. Unplugged that, paired the Stages, and away we go.
Yep. Kickrs must have pretty good range. I have to keep mine unplugged when not in use because it interferes with stuff. It's the same in reverse. I have to put my phone in airplane mode when using the Kickr.

Old 04-19-21, 06:17 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I just don't get it.
Wow, I thought hack-level cycling was supposed to be fun. I get yelled at occasionally by our main honcho for stupid stuff, but no one else takes it up and there's been no unfriendliness or suggestion I don't belong. That kind of treatment would make me feel terrible.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-19-21, 06:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6952 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts

I just don't get it.
Well, I learned something today. Had to google "half wheeling." I've been doing group rides for a long time, and never had heard that one.

I've had that happen, where someone - a friend, even - just goes off like that, out-of-the-blue. You never know what's going on with a person, under the surface -- could be emotional, or it could even be physiological: I worked with a guy who would get volatile like that, and it turned out that he was an undiagnosed diabetic.
Old 04-19-21, 06:42 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
We have snow forecast for tomorrow. We rarely need a shovel for April snows, thankfully.
Oh we're still getting frost overnight, from time-to-time. And it has snowed on Mother's Day before, but the yard was getting shaggy.
Old 04-19-21, 07:14 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Koyote
Well, I learned something today. Had to google "half wheeling." I've been doing group rides for a long time, and never had heard that one.

I've had that happen, where someone - a friend, even - just goes off like that, out-of-the-blue. You never know what's going on with a person, under the surface -- could be emotional, or it could even be physiological: I worked with a guy who would get volatile like that, and it turned out that he was an undiagnosed diabetic.
I haven't heard the expression much since my competitive days, but it is annoying. I've had arguments with people who think it means lapping wheels from behind. I ride with a younger, stronger, guy occasionally, who does it habitually. Sometimes I want to kill him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.