Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Experience ordering products from Europe right now?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-18-20, 11:11 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts

Long short story, I am in the market for new pedals. I currently have a set of PD-R540 and want to upgrade for PD-R8000 to shave of a few grams (88 to be precise) from my bike & match them with my current R8070 drive train. I normally prefer to encourage local economy by spending at my LBS or other ones close-by, but for some reason I found a pretty good deal at Merlin Cycle that no one around can price match (we're talking about a 100$ difference in the total price).

Anyways, my question is the following: has any of you recently bought products from Merlin Cycle, Chain Reaction Cycle or other cycling stores in Europe? If so, did you experience any additional delays in the shipping due to the COVID-19? Based on Merlin Cycle's website, it would take 5 to 9 working days for the product to arrive at my door, which is very reasonable. I doubt the carrier will be able to do it though given the current situation worldwide

Thanks!

Last edited by eduskator; 04-18-20 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-18-20, 11:30 AM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
I just ordered a groupset from Merlin's on Thursday. It shipped out Friday (yesterday), and the tracking shows that it is already in the US, and has cleared customs.

I too was expecting a little bit of a delay, but that definitely was not the case...quite the opposite, actually.
Old 04-18-20, 11:49 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
I bought some shoes from Merlin a few weeks ago, and got the package in less than 10 days. So, good performance from a shipping perspective.
Old 04-18-20, 12:31 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just ordered some parts from ChainReaction and got it within 3 days.
Likes For vtje:
Old 04-18-20, 12:58 PM
eduskator

Thanks for your prompt responses. I have placed my order.

I feel bad for not supporting my LBS, but the price difference was simply too much.
Old 04-18-20, 03:04 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Seems like a lot of people had a lot of good luck. Most of the small items go on aircraft. There are no commercial airlines moving at the moment. So items from Great Britain or Japan are likely to take a very long time to get here. I have been waiting a month for a front derailleur that was mailed the same day from England and two weeks for a product from Shimano in Japan that just hit of all places - LA - two days ago and is still stuck in transit somewhere.

This lockdown is doing a whole lot more than slowing people up - the mail is atrocious and getting worse. What's more, since these items are going on unusual routes by unusual means the tracking is all shot to hell as well.

So perhaps you'll be lucky too, but perhaps you'll have my luck and be waiting a long time. If so have patience. The mail goes through but it might take some time.
Old 04-19-20, 06:58 AM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I bought 2 kits from Wiggle 2 weeks ago and they were at my door 8 days later. It was actually quicker than normal.
Old 04-19-20, 07:20 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
An order I placed from a store in Germany was canceled and my money returned. It was supposedly coming by DHL.
Old 04-19-20, 08:58 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
An order I placed from a store in Germany was canceled and my money returned. It was supposedly coming by DHL.
Seems like it's a hit or miss thing. Merlin Cycle says they now use FedEX since they offer faster & better shipping these days.

''Covid-19 Shipping News

As we are all aware the Covid-19 outbreak is changing the way we live our lives and how business operates. We are currently working and dispatching as normal and UK services are with Royal Mail and DPD and running smoothly with some delays. Please note both DPD and Royal Mail have removed their next day guarantees and as such Merlin Cycles cannot offer refunds if goods arrive late.

International Shipping - Due to the severe restrictions on flying there are a number of restrictions in place and with limited cargo space on planes delays may occur. Many services have stopped and we are having to use FedEx as a new shipping partner. FedEx offers a much faster door to door service but at a cost, therefore many shipping options have changed in the basket and free shipping levels will be higher. We will go back to normal when we can but for now we are still able to deliver you your goods.''

I ordered the pedals yesterday & got a ''dispatch'' confirmation this morning with a tracking number. I will keep you guys updated on the delay throughout the process.
Old 04-19-20, 09:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Seems like a lot of people had a lot of good luck. Most of the small items go on aircraft. There are no commercial airlines moving at the moment. So items from Great Britain or Japan are likely to take a very long time to get here. I have been waiting a month for a front derailleur that was mailed the same day from England and two weeks for a product from Shimano in Japan that just hit of all places - LA - two days ago and is still stuck in transit somewhere.

This lockdown is doing a whole lot more than slowing people up - the mail is atrocious and getting worse. What's more, since these items are going on unusual routes by unusual means the tracking is all shot to hell as well.

So perhaps you'll be lucky too, but perhaps you'll have my luck and be waiting a long time. If so have patience. The mail goes through but it might take some time.
your experience and claim of taking a long time from GB isn't shared by others in the thread. Certainly looks like typical anecdotal so far.

Overall, domestic package shipments are taking longer. At the same time, there has been an increase in residential delivery due to a spike in online retail.
In this instance(domestic residential), slower transit isn't due to covid closing shipping lanes as much as its been due to covid increasing shipment demand.
Old 04-19-20, 09:45 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
I just ordered a groupset from Merlin's on Thursday. It shipped out Friday (yesterday), and the tracking shows that it is already in the US, and has cleared customs.

I too was expecting a little bit of a delay, but that definitely was not the case...quite the opposite, actually.
What groupset did you get?
Old 04-19-20, 10:22 AM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
What groupset did you get?
Ultegra Di2 to replace the GRX 800 on my gravel bike
Likes For melikebikey35:
Old 04-19-20, 10:48 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I ordered R550 pedals and an Ultegra cassette March 27th, Merlin shipped out April 2nd and they arrived by FedEx April 10th.
Old 04-19-20, 11:41 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Ordered two things within Europe, arrived in 3 days (2 nights). One night flight, one night waiting after it got to the local distribution center. Can't ask for more, would not have come faster in normal times.
Old 04-19-20, 12:54 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by surak
I ordered R550 pedals and an Ultegra cassette March 27th, Merlin shipped out April 2nd and they arrived by FedEx April 10th.
This is nice. 8 days. I ordered yesterday and it got shipped today so I should receive it anytime between April 24 and 29 unless it gets delayed at customs.
Old 04-19-20, 04:24 PM
RiceAWay

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
your experience and claim of taking a long time from GB isn't shared by others in the thread. Certainly looks like typical anecdotal so far.

Overall, domestic package shipments are taking longer. At the same time, there has been an increase in residential delivery due to a spike in online retail.
In this instance(domestic residential), slower transit isn't due to covid closing shipping lanes as much as its been due to covid increasing shipment demand.
My experiences are anecdotal but others who did not experience the delays are not anecdotal huh? Maybe you should look up the definition of anecdotal.
Old 04-19-20, 07:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
My experiences are anecdotal but others who did not experience the delays are not anecdotal huh? Maybe you should look up the definition of anecdotal.
Yes yes, I know what it means. And at some point, like if 150 individual responses align while there are 5 on the contrary, then all those personal accounts become an accepted trend and more than the sum of its parts.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-19-20, 09:15 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I placed an order a few weeks ago with bike24 for 3 sets of tires and a spoke nipple threading tool and they arrived in 5 days. Ordered 2 sets of Miche track hubs from one the UK shops before I ordered from bike24, I've now gotten 2 notifications of delays. I suspect its since these hubs are ordered direct once they get an order and the company is probably shut down right now; it was a great price and from what I've heard the track is closed so I'll keep waiting.
Old 04-20-20, 12:13 AM
esuad

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Ordered from Merlin avril 13th, they shipped the 14th. Still in transport. I will add the date of arrival. I live in Turkey by the way.
Old 04-20-20, 02:04 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
ordered two saddles from chain reaction over the weekend. order is supposed to be dispatched on mon, april 20th. i’ll keep y’all posted...**edit-order dispatched on april 20th.**

Last edited by diphthong; 04-20-20 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-20-20, 07:02 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I placed an order from bike-components.de on April 8th that still hasn't shipped. I assume there's something in the cart that's backordered and holding up the shipment, which can also happen when there's no pandemic.
Old 04-20-20, 08:30 AM
RiceAWay

Originally Posted by kingston
I placed an order from bike-components.de on April 8th that still hasn't shipped. I assume there's something in the cart that's backordered and holding up the shipment, which can also happen when there's no pandemic.
My GB order says "received" and then nothing. The person on the other end questioned them and they said that all you can do is wait. I would have expected them to show arrival in the US by now. What if they were put on a ship that is waiting to go through the Panama Canal or around the world to the west coast via India?
Old 04-20-20, 09:00 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by kingston
My GB order says "received" and then nothing. The person on the other end questioned them and they said that all you can do is wait. I would have expected them to show arrival in the US by now. What if they were put on a ship that is waiting to go through the Panama Canal or around the world to the west coast via India?
That's why I read the shop's updated shipping policy prior to ordering from EU. Merlin Cycle has temporarily switched to FedEX to avoid any unwanted delays. Orders are shipped by plane I believe. Mine was packed & shipped within 24 hours of ordering, but was also shown ''in stock'' at the moment of the purchase. I am expecting that it should arrive in my country this week & be delivered next week. I bought grease in the meanwhile to service my current pedals.
Old 04-20-20, 08:17 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
It depends on where you are shipping from/to.

National postal services are closed in many countries. We receive daily updates from our national postal service (EMS).

The US is open but experiencing delays (purposely).

DHL and FedEx are operating as business as usual, but we have seen our delivery times increase from 2~3 days to around a week. If things continue that may even become longer unless some commercial aircraft are converted to handle the increased volume.

Old 04-20-20, 08:21 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
It's not going by ship. Unless you ordered a pallet or container of goods it's going by air.

If it shipped, you should have tracking.

If you track your order and it disappears for a day or so it means it's in Customs. Once it clears it will be visible in the system, again.

Likes For Bob Dopolina:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.