Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When can I expect riding to become enjoyable?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When can I expect riding to become enjoyable?

Old 11-08-20, 05:47 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Try gravel riding on a FG or SS bike.
That's exactly what I did yesterday...63 miles of gravel on my singlespeed gravel bike with 42x18 gear ratio.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-08-20, 05:49 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
If you find no enjoyment at this point, its probably just not for you.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-08-20, 05:56 PM
IGH_Only

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I definitely think getting up enough endurance is one of the main issues, which I anticipate will improve. The first couple of days were the toughest by far. Enjoy or not, I don't hate it by any means (except the short uphills) and considering that almost every human being spends most of their days doing plenty of things they'd rather not, it could be be much worse.
Likes For IGH_Only:
Old 11-08-20, 06:00 PM
IGH_Only

Also, I should add that I don't think it's a bike fit issue as I have tinkered with the handlebars and seat post and a few other things quite a bit and none it was uncomfortable, but just a constant search for the most comfortable position.
Old 11-08-20, 06:08 PM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
When I started bicycling after back surgery, I too rode a comfort bike. I soon found it repetitive and boring, riding around my general neighborhood. What helped me was setting competitive goals with myself. Doing 10 miles faster. Riding further in an hour. I took joy in my improvements.

I now ride carbon road bikes and full suspension mountain bikes. I still compete with myself.

I’ve recently started riding with others at a fast club pace. And mountain bike trails with my adult son. Adds a level of fun, too.
Likes For BCAC:
Old 11-08-20, 06:18 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
Also, I should add that I don't think it's a bike fit issue as I have tinkered with the handlebars and seat post and a few other things quite a bit and none it was uncomfortable, but just a constant search for the most comfortable position.
But you don't have much experience with setting up a bike, so what feels comfortable while adjusting things willy-nilly doesn't really mean much. Most people who haven't really ridden before put their saddle way, way too low, because they want to be able to flat-foot it at stops, for example.

You talk about your elbows hurting so much you had to stop riding your bike. That is most certainly a fitment issue. You are not an experienced rider, what may feel comfortable at first is rarely the best when you have to apply power. For instance, many people buy a bike with a "comfortable" seat - some even with springs and gel at the top, wide as a sofa and whatnot. Such a saddle is not comfortable for miles on end - especially not if you need to go uphill (i.e. put some power down).

As for uphills over overpasses, it takes a while to build up the muscles, so give that some time. I'm more concerned about your elbows.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-08-20, 06:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
That's exactly what I did yesterday...63 miles of gravel on my singlespeed gravel bike with 42x18 gear ratio.
Take a look at some of the other threads the OP has started to understand my post.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-08-20, 07:02 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
What is the actual type of bike? All of my bikes have upright handlebars, and I rode 40 miles this weekend with no comfort issues. Now I own a couple of 3-speeds, and an issue compared to derailleur bikes is that the spacing of the gears tends to be fairly wide, meaning it can be hard to find the "right" gear for particular conditions (hills, headwinds, etc.) so you may have to be patient with yourself and not try to hit some predetermined optimum speed.

A thought that's occurred to me is that cycling is actually relatively low intensity exercise, meaning that it can take a long time to build up endurance. If you're riding every other day, then maybe a brisk walk on your off-days would help.
Old 11-08-20, 07:54 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Ride much faster, and un-enjoy much less.

Isn't that what Greg LeMond said? Or sumpthin like that.
Old 11-08-20, 07:57 PM
partyanimal

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
I would ask why you're cycling and why you tried to get into it in the first place.
Old 11-08-20, 07:58 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 231 Posts
Don't ride every day. No matter your fitness level, recovery is important.

Find some other folks to ride with and the time flies by, but make sure they are around the same fitness level and people whose company you enjoy.

Change routes. My wife loves the local trail because it is safe, no cars and we can ride from home. But to me its boring as hells. So we compromise and change it up, or find new trails, but that means driving.

Stop along the way to read those historical marker signs or take pictures of the fall colors. Again, this means not doing the same route 30 times in a row.

Or after all of this, consider that cycling might not be your cup of tea. That's ok. If you are looking for outside activity, maybe hiking is your thing. Or dog walking. Heck, maybe it's even golf! Just find something you enjoy and quit if you are not having fun. Life is too short to have a hobby you don't like.
Likes For bblair:
Old 11-08-20, 08:06 PM
BIGDCYCLES
Gravel Junkie

Bikes: GT type CX, FUJI Sandblaster Drop Bar conversion, Kink Williams BMX, Framed Defendant Pro 22" BMX, Custom Klunker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
It sounds like you are almost forcing yourself to complete the ride no matter what. Hard to enjoy something that is scheduled and forced. Be spontaneous. Go ride with no pre planning. Just see where the ride takes you. Maybe that will help, I dunno.
Old 11-08-20, 08:12 PM
IGH_Only

Originally Posted by CargoDane
But you don't have much experience with setting up a bike, so what feels comfortable while adjusting things willy-nilly doesn't really mean much. Most people who haven't really ridden before put their saddle way, way too low, because they want to be able to flat-foot it at stops, for example.

You talk about your elbows hurting so much you had to stop riding your bike. That is most certainly a fitment issue. You are not an experienced rider, what may feel comfortable at first is rarely the best when you have to apply power. For instance, many people buy a bike with a "comfortable" seat - some even with springs and gel at the top, wide as a sofa and whatnot. Such a saddle is not comfortable for miles on end - especially not if you need to go uphill (i.e. put some power down).

As for uphills over overpasses, it takes a while to build up the muscles, so give that some time. I'm more concerned about your elbows.

The reason I don't think it's a fit issue (and it's possible you may be right) is that it's only in one elbow which I have had general tendonitis/rotator cuff issues for years. The other feels fine. I'm inclined to believe that it's due to over usage more than anything from bicycling every day out of the blue, sometimes twice.
Old 11-08-20, 08:17 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Nah, still a fit issue. If you have a disability, make you bike fit and work with that is even more important. If your bike fit is so bad that your elbow hurts (not even something like your hips or knees or something that takes a lot of force), then you have to make it fit you and work with your limitations. You don't want to aggravate the problem. You already had to stop at one point because it hurt too much.

Now, you won't know this; but I say that as an amputee (below-the-knee).
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-08-20, 08:22 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
The rides are probably too long for you until you get your legs in better shape. post some photos of your bike and have someone take a photo of you on the bike from the side with your leg all the down, we may be able to help you get the fit better.
Likes For Oldsledz:
Old 11-08-20, 08:39 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
You may simply be lacking a reason to ride. Sometimes riding for the sake of riding is tedious, depending on the person. A number of years ago I decided to do my shopping on the bike, telling myself I would buy a new bike if I stuck with it. I was riding an old Ross Mt. Rainier I bought new in 1984. It was still in great shape. I ended up loving that bike, and rode it for over a year before finally buying a touring bike, a Long Haul Trucker. I still have the Ross, and keep it in good shape. It was easier to ride since I had a reason to ride, not just ride to ride. I started going everywhere on the bike. I met my friends at a local pub. I got to the point where I looked for reasons to go out on the bike, the store, Lowes, beer store, wine store, whatever. I was usually out every day. Had I just gone for a ride, I wouldn't have done it, nor would I have enjoyed it as much. People in town came to expect to see me on the bike.

If I were you, I would shorten my rides for a while. Go out and just enjoy it, and if you aren't, don't ride so far that day. It isn't worth it.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-08-20, 08:52 PM
IGH_Only

Originally Posted by phughes
You may simply be lacking a reason to ride. Sometimes riding for the sake of riding is tedious, depending on the person. A number of years ago I decided to do my shopping on the bike, telling myself I would buy a new bike if I stuck with it. I was riding an old Ross Mt. Rainier I bought new in 1984. It was still in great shape. I ended up loving that bike, and rode it for over a year before finally buying a touring bike, a Long Haul Trucker. I still have the Ross, and keep it in good shape. It was easier to ride since I had a reason to ride, not just ride to ride. I started going everywhere on the bike. I met my friends at a local pub. I got to the point where I looked for reasons to go out on the bike, the store, Lowes, beer store, wine store, whatever. I was usually out every day. Had I just gone for a ride, I wouldn't have done it, nor would I have enjoyed it as much. People in town came to expect to see me on the bike.

If I were you, I would shorten my rides for a while. Go out and just enjoy it, and if you aren't, don't ride so far that day. It isn't worth it.
The thing is, while I know I don't like it, there is a compulsion that I can't explain that forces me to go on rides. I have no idea where it comes from since I don't enjoy it per se. I guess that is the strange dichotomy that I am having a hard time grappling with. Once again, it's not something I hate, and I don't really struggle that much to go 8-10 miles anymore. If I liked it but lacked motivation, then it would be easy enough to put on hold or give up entirely. As it stands, since I almost feel forced to ride for whatever reason I can't explain, I would just like to get more enjoyment out of it.
Old 11-08-20, 08:55 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I think now is about the time where you post a couple of pictures of you on your bike: one with the pedals at 3 and 9, and one with the pedals at 12 and 6. At least people here could help a little since you refuse to get a pro fit the bike to you.

​​​​​​​
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-08-20, 08:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,579 Times in 2,895 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I cant imagine participating in a hobby I dont enjoy.

Nobody here knows when you will start to enjoy your hobby.
you obviously never learned to snow ski or snowboard. The first few times are painful, frustrating, cold (because you are constantly falling) and at times frightening (being out of control). Even after enduring all the above, eventually, it clicks, you learn the right clothing and gear and it becomes great fun. He knows the goal will be enjoyable, he just has to go through the growing pains. Cut the guy some slack.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-08-20, 09:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
you obviously never learned to snow ski or snowboard. The first few times are painful, frustrating, cold (because you are constantly falling) and at times frightening (being out of control). Even after enduring all the above, eventually, it clicks, you learn the right clothing and gear and it becomes great fun. He knows the goal will be enjoyable, he just has to go through the growing pains. Cut the guy some slack.
I learned to snowboard- my first lesson was for my 6th grade birthday. I fell over and over again, but had a blast.
again, I cant imagine participating in a hobby i don't enjoy. Even if I'm not good at it, I can still enjoy it.
Old 11-08-20, 09:07 PM
IGH_Only

Originally Posted by CargoDane
I think now is about the time where you post a couple of pictures of you on your bike: one with the pedals at 3 and 9, and one with the pedals at 12 and 6. At least people here could help a little since you refuse to get a pro fit the bike to you.

​​​​​​​
I'm not sure why you keep belaboring on this issue. Even if you're 100% correct, it's a tangential problem that isn't the core issue at hand. I'm not "not enjoying" because I have some elbow soreness. And on that point, the pain never manifests on the rides EXCEPT when I'm going over bumps and things like that, which is why I'm inclined to believe that a better fit is not going to solve that issue. It's a shock to the joints during the rides that's causing it. Now, I may very well not be ergonomically correct, but once again, not really the point as it relates to my current predicament.
Old 11-08-20, 09:13 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I'm not sure why you keep belaboring on this issue. Even if you're 100% correct, it's a tangential problem that isn't the core issue at hand. I'm not "not enjoying" because I have some elbow soreness. And on that point, the pain never manifests on the rides EXCEPT when I'm going over bumps and things like that, which is why I'm inclined to believe that a better fit is not going to solve that issue. It's a shock to the joints during the rides that's causing it. Now, I may very well not be ergonomically correct, but once again, not really the point as it relates to my current predicament.
It's the first time I have mentioned photos.
You now say it wasn't important, but you said you had to stop at one point because of pain.
I surmised - apparently wrongly - that you finding it hard and even sore enough to stop was somehow influencing your enjoyment of bike rides. But, obviously, those things have no bearing whatsoever on anything.

Yeah, at this point, I feel like this has all been a ruse to fool people. No one in their right mind will beg you to accept help. And you obviously don't want it.
Old 11-08-20, 09:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,579 Times in 2,895 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I learned to snowboard- my first lesson was for my 6th grade birthday. I fell over and over again, but had a blast.
again, I cant imagine participating in a hobby i don't enjoy. Even if I'm not good at it, I can still enjoy it.
You think your reality should be everyone’s reality. Human nature doesn’t work that way. Empathy and understanding work far better than the opposite in human relationships.

Old 11-08-20, 09:21 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
So I have been riding 8-10 miles for almost 3 weeks now, almost every day. I will be going to every other day primarily due to elbow pain issues, as well as thigh soreness. But I digress. In all honesty, there is nothing I enjoy all that much about it. I want to quit the first couple of miles almost every single time. Somehow, I've manage to always complete the predetermined route, usually with a bit of tiredness.

I thought I'd enjoy the scenery of streets and trails I've never seen before. Nope. I thought I enjoy getting out a lot more having been shuttered in during the pandemic. Not so much. And I genuinely hate with a passion every overpass and underpass that I have to go through. But even having said all that, I have a strong compulsion to keep going every single time and especially before the ride begins. I've never cut off a ride earlier than I planned. I feel forced to ride before the journey begins so it's certainly not a lack of motivation problem. Which is a bit unusual because knowing myself I could have easily given up for good after the first few days/a week.

I don't have any plans to quit any time soon. I'm not sure if I do it for the fitness. I think definitely to some extent. I don't think I do it just to play with the shiny new toy. So I guess all that is background for should I expect to get to a place where I like it more? Would a much better bike make it more enjoyable? I currently ride a 3 speed entry level bike. I think enjoy it for the most part but don't have a comparative basis.
Get laid before you ride. That should change your mood.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 11-08-20, 09:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
You think your reality should be everyone’s reality. Human nature doesn’t work that way. Empathy and understanding work far better than the opposite in human relationships.
I dont think everyone should act or exist based on my approach.
I did not say the OP should have my reality.

All I said is that I cant imagine participating in a hobby I dont enjoy. I didnt tell the OP that they need to be like me. I didnt tell the OP they are doing it wrong. All I did was post my view on how I handle hobbies.
If people want to participate in a hobby they don't enjoy, well then ok.

You are 0-2 on criticisms, how about we go our merry ways at this point.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.