Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Home-Made/DIY Gel & Cycling Food

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Home-Made/DIY Gel & Cycling Food

Old 01-03-21, 09:57 PM
Froomewannabe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Big fan of the following GCN bars. They are excellent. You can use Karo in place of the Golden syrup or we were able to get Golden syrup on Amazon for reasonable, actually made my own golden syrup the first couple times. The pan comes up to about 3,780 Cal and 569 carbs, so depending on how you cut them they are a good source of fuel. Note the 3/4cup of sunflower oil should just be 1/2 cup, conversion was wrong.

I also like the following really well (as I'm a fan of PB and easier, no baking) but they don't hold together nearly as well, so I take these with me when I know I'm going to have a stop or if on a long, easy ride.

Both of these I cut and wrap individually in aluminum foil and store in the freezer and they keep for months.

A very inexpensive purchased food that I'm also a big fan of is Natures Bakery Fig bars. I never liked fig newtons as a kid, but I'm a fan of these and you can pick them up at Sams Club, around $0.30 (200Cal & 38 Carbs) https://www.samsclub.com/p/fig-bars-...=plp_product_1
Likes For Froomewannabe:
Old 01-05-21, 04:55 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
I received my 50lb bag of maltodextrin along with the pink himalayan salt, magnesium citrate, and potassium chloride. This morning I made a couple bottles of the following: ~700ml water, 50g maltodextrin, 1/4 tsp. pink himalayan salt, 1/2 tsp. magnesium citrate, 1/4 tsp. potassium chloride, and 1 tbsp. orange gatorade powder (for flavor). That mix (per 750ml bottle) will provide ~230 calories, ~57g of carbs, 660mg sodium, 210mg magnesium, 620mg potassium. Next time I'll probably substitute 1 or 2 packets of crystallized lemon for the Gatorade, but this morning all I had for flavor was the Gatorade. I also decided to go with 50g of maltodextrin (rather than 100g) because I'm planning to ride at low to medium intensity today, nothing too stressful. I was also curious to see how easily the maltodextrin mixed with water. With 50g of maltodextrin powder and ~700ml water it mixed very easily with no residue or grit. As for the taste, the salt hits your palate first followed by a little sweetness. It's not the most tasty drink, but it's not bad.

I was also curious to see how the maltodextrin mixed into a gel, so I put 50g into a bowl and mixed it with the following: 1/4 tsp. pink himalayan salt, 1/2 tsp. magnesium citrate, 1/4 tsp. potassium chloride, ~2 tbsp. brewed coffee, ~2 tbsp. agave syrup, ~1 tbsp. honey, ~1 tsp. cocoa powder. In total I ended up with ~3 oz. of gel with a consistency that is slightly thinner than Gu. It doesn't taste great, but it's not bad for a first attempt. This mix per 1 oz. serving will provide ~125 calories, ~32g carbs, ~220mg sodium, ~70mg magnesium, 206mg potassium, and a little bit of caffeine.
Old 01-05-21, 09:38 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I've never tried it, but it seems like maltodextrin mixed with gatorade and salts wouldn't taste that great. The ON Gold chocolate and vanilla flavors go nicely with the maltodextrin in addition to the little bit of protein it adds. Sometimes I'll add a small scoop of instant iced coffee which also tastes pretty decent.
Old 01-05-21, 04:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I've never tried it, but it seems like maltodextrin mixed with gatorade and salts wouldn't taste that great. The ON Gold chocolate and vanilla flavors go nicely with the maltodextrin in addition to the little bit of protein it adds. Sometimes I'll add a small scoop of instant iced coffee which also tastes pretty decent.
I had a riding buddy who thought that Hammer Gel expresso worked really well for her. She didn't realize about the 50mg of caffeine, thought it was just flavoring . . Starbuck's VIA dissolves perfectly in cold water and comes in those little foil packets.
Old 01-05-21, 04:17 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I'm addicted to caffeine, so I get a headache if I don't have a little dose in the afternoon, which is what led me to put coffee in my bike-food in the first place.
Old 01-05-21, 06:31 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Originally Posted by kingston
Right you are! My recipes need some work. The maltodextrin with electrolytes and a little Gatorade powder was not a good mix. A little too salty and the Gatorade did little to add "flavor". The good news is that maltodextrin + electrolytes is really good fuel! I felt good on the bike. No major energy spikes and no big dips either. I did not feel any stronger or faster, but I was definitely able to maintain harder efforts for longer periods of time, and I took fewer breaks. And the biggest difference came at the end of the ride when I got home... I didn't feel like I needed to eat the entire refrigerator. Yes, I was hungry. However, I wasn't famished and it didn't take a lot of food to satisfy my hunger. On the whole I think my initial results are encouraging.
Old 01-06-21, 06:33 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

New and (much) improved maltodextrin recipes for today...

Yesterday's gel was pretty aweful, so I went in a totally different direction. My new malto-honey-peanut butter gel is really tasty if you like that sweet and salty combo. Using a little less than 1/4 cup of water the recipe below yielded 4.5 oz. Each 1 oz. serving yields ~90 calories, ~19g carbs, ~74mg sodium, ~67mg potassium, ~46mg magnesium, ~1g protein.

Maltodextrin-Honey-PB + Electrolyte Gel: 50g maltodextrin, 2 tbsp. honey, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1/8 tsp. pink himalayan salt, 1/2 tsp. magnesium citrate, 1/8 tsp. potassium chloride, water

Yesterday's water bottle wat a little too salty for my taste so I bagged the Gatorade powder and reduced the pink salt and potassium chloride. The new mix per 750ml bottle yields ~190 calories, ~47g of carbs, ~295mg sodium, ~210mg magnesium, ~300mg potassium.

Maltodextrin + Electrolyte Drink: ~700 ml water, 50g maltodextrin, 1/8 tsp. pink himalayan salt, 1/2 tsp. magnesium citrate, 1/8 tsp. potassium chloride, 1 packet of True Lemon

- At 30g of carb consumption per hour two 750ml bottles and 4.5 oz. of gel would last ~6 hours
- At 60g of carb consumption per hour two 750ml bottles and 4.5 oz. of gel would last ~3 hours
Old 01-07-21, 03:07 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Originally Posted by Cycletography
New and (much) improved maltodextrin recipes for today...

Yesterday's gel was pretty aweful, so I went in a totally different direction. My new malto-honey-peanut butter gel is really tasty if you like that sweet and salty combo. Using a little less than 1/4 cup of water the recipe below yielded 4.5 oz. Each 1 oz. serving yields ~90 calories, ~19g carbs, ~74mg sodium, ~67mg potassium, ~46mg magnesium, ~1g protein.

Maltodextrin-Honey-PB + Electrolyte Gel: 50g maltodextrin, 2 tbsp. honey, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1/8 tsp. pink himalayan salt, 1/2 tsp. magnesium citrate, 1/8 tsp. potassium chloride, water

Yesterday's water bottle wat a little too salty for my taste so I bagged the Gatorade powder and reduced the pink salt and potassium chloride. The new mix per 750ml bottle yields ~190 calories, ~47g of carbs, ~295mg sodium, ~210mg magnesium, ~300mg potassium.

Maltodextrin + Electrolyte Drink: ~700 ml water, 50g maltodextrin, 1/8 tsp. pink himalayan salt, 1/2 tsp. magnesium citrate, 1/8 tsp. potassium chloride, 1 packet of True Lemon

- At 30g of carb consumption per hour two 750ml bottles and 4.5 oz. of gel would last ~6 hours
- At 60g of carb consumption per hour two 750ml bottles and 4.5 oz. of gel would last ~3 hours
The new recipes are working out very well. Since I ran out of honey I substituted agave syrup in the gel recipe and I think I prefer it. It's a little less sweet than the honey. The nutritional value is (more or less) the same for clover honey and raw agave syrup, so they seem to be interchangable. I also like the malto-electrolyte drink with Tru Lemon and less sodium, less potassium chloride.