Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano RC5

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano RC5

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 05:07 AM
hsea17

Bikes: Giant SCR / Felt FR5 / Trek Emonda ALR 6 / Trek Domane AL2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Shimano RC5

If anyone have a personal review (experience) of Shimano RC5 road bike shoes I would very much appreciate some info, especially regarding sizing.
Thanks @ Regards
hsea17
Old 03-15-21, 01:19 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Been riding them for 4+ months. They are not as stiff as other road shoes. Size-wise they are true to the size marked.

Somewhat difficult to get on and off mostly because of the rubber band that holds the tongue. Not a deal-breaker.

That same tongue is what is driving me to look for another shoe. It makes wearing them a bit uncomfortable for me while riding and the flex of the shoe pushes that tongue against my foot. My next show will also have the BOA which turns in both directions as well as has 2 of them on the shoe for comfort.
Old 03-22-21, 08:17 PM
hsea17

Bikes: Giant SCR / Felt FR5 / Trek Emonda ALR 6 / Trek Domane AL2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sshakari
Been riding them for 4+ months. They are not as stiff as other road shoes. Size-wise they are true to the size marked.

Somewhat difficult to get on and off mostly because of the rubber band that holds the tongue. Not a deal-breaker.

That same tongue is what is driving me to look for another shoe. It makes wearing them a bit uncomfortable for me while riding and the flex of the shoe pushes that tongue against my foot. My next show will also have the BOA which turns in both directions as well as has 2 of them on the shoe for comfort.
Thanks for replying. I had them home for a while tried and as you I think they was to difficult to get on and of so changed to Shimano Tr 901. Which is a triathlon shoe but I now and then take part in a sprint Triathlon for fun and for my riding nowadays which is usually limited to max 6 hours a week it is stiff and stable enough.
hsea17
Old 03-23-21, 08:59 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I've had the Shimano RC5 shoes for a bit over a year, use them on my Jamis gravel/touring bike - about 2K miles on them.

Agree with the comment about a bit annoying to get on at first - but once I figured out how to pull that tongue out a bit, doesn't seem hard anymore. I find I like the feel on my foot (size 12.5 US/46 on the RC5). I like having velcro at the toe box and the one Boa dial for the rest.

They are also really ugly but pretty comfortable to walk in and have been very durable so far. There is something I like about having the Michelin Man on the bottom of my shoes...

They were on sale when I bought them (remember those pre-pandemic days when there were actually big discounts over the winter on cycling stuff??) - I would have gone with the Specialized Torch shoes at the time but they didn't go on sale.

Last edited by jpescatore; 03-23-21 at 09:03 AM.