Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

installing a rear drum brake

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 08:56 PM
flypaca
flypaca

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn paramount tandem, touring tandem French frame,MTB style tandem, Several solo bikes including a Kabuki from the 70's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Even though I have 3 tandems none have a rear drum brake. I would like to install one on my '72 paramount tandem it has a campy 36 hole freewheel hub. I thought it prudent to ask the experts here before I spend the cash for a brake that may not be compatible or may not be able to be used at all. Thanks for your input in advance. I do live in the CO mountains and need more brakes than the calipers on the bike.

Peter
Old 03-20-21, 02:28 AM
Ross200

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
This link may be of some help-
https://www.precisiontandems.com/arai.htm
Old 03-20-21, 12:47 PM
flypaca
flypaca

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn paramount tandem, touring tandem French frame,MTB style tandem, Several solo bikes including a Kabuki from the 70's

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thanks

That tells me that I don't have the correct hub to add a drum brake or a disk either. so I guess that I will continue tuning the cantilevers for max effort.
Old 03-21-21, 02:19 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by flypaca
That tells me that I don't have the correct hub to add a drum brake or a disk either. so I guess that I will continue tuning the cantilevers for max effort.
We don't have a drag brake either. I've wondered about strapping one of these on my Stoker on hilly rides. We'd need two new commands: 'deploy (drogue)' and 'stow (drogue)'.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 03-21-21, 02:48 AM
Ross200

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Some nice new Campy freewheel tandem hubs on the auction site. Threaded for drag brake. Some of the tandem vendors have new ones also.

Some new compressionless brake housing and some well adjusted fresh salmon brake pads can add a surprising amount of stopping power on clean rims. 409 and a Scotchbrite pad takes off lots of glaze.
Old 03-21-21, 09:00 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
If the hub isn’t threaded on the off-drive side, you do not have the requisite hub to thread on a rear drum brake. Years back, the brake used would often be an Arai, they were readily available, were pretty cheap, and are pretty easy to set up but you do need that threaded hub to mount. If your frame doesn’t have a tab for the brake arm, you will have to use a band to go around chain stay (think coaster brake).
Old 03-21-21, 09:11 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
...threaded hubs aren’t too hard to find, here are a Phil Wood and a Specialized from a couple of my tandems...note I don’t use a drum, never found a need even when loaded touring in mountains.

Old 03-21-21, 06:32 PM
flypaca
flypaca

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This could have been in C&V but since it was tandem specific I asked it here. When this was the built the cantilevers on it were the best of the best. I guess I will pass for now and see if I get the desire to spend more than the bike is worth for a hub and brake. Not much income for these old retired folks.