Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Upgrade from Garmin 500

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Upgrade from Garmin 500

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 01:46 PM
Fuzzy_Dunlop

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Upgrade from Garmin 500

A question for the Garmin 830 owners in the group: How do you like it?

I have an old 500 series I am looking to upgrade from, in order to do longer, more off-the-beaten-path solo gravel rides. I don’t really care about all the fancy training metrics, but I want proper turn-by-turn navigation, support for RWGPS and Strava, creating on-the-fly routes, not getting lost in unfamiliar places, searching by POI, etc. Smart phone integration is a plus.

I already have Garmin speed and cadence sensors, so would prefer to stick with a Garmin computer, but I’m open to suggestions.
Old 03-29-21, 02:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Also look at the Edge Explore. Cheaper (@$249) than the 830, maybe a touch larger screen, no performance metrics, it's designed more for touring. Does TBT, you can grab RWGPS routes directly by installing a free iQ app called G-Route.

As well, don't get too mezemerized with "on the fly routing" 'cause not even the flagship 1030 Plus can do this well, IME.

The Edge can work with a speed sensor, not sure about cadence. Connects via Bluetooth to the Garmin Connect Mobile App on a smartphone
It's a touch screen model if that matters (makes it easier to pan and zoom in a map)
Old 03-30-21, 08:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Consider carefully what features you might want to use while on the bike. Anything more than the simple stuff your old edge 500 did and I'd recommend that you get a model with a touch screen.

I didn't when I replaced my edge 500 with a edge 530 last year. The group tracking and messaging features as well as a lot of the other features buried in it that I'd like to use are just too many confusing button pushes to get to.

The newer Garmin Edges like the 830 and the 1030 plus are what I should have gotten. But since it was a gift, I really figured I'd just endure it for a few years and see if my fingers get nimble and accurate doing endless button pushes. Though for most of my riding, I never change from the data screen anyhow.
Old 04-01-21, 10:12 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I am considering getting the 1030 when my 520 dies, if only because I hope the larger screen will mean easier reading for my aging eyes.
Old 04-13-21, 06:58 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Hammerhead has the best screen.
Big phone worth a look, you'll have it anyway, but no ANT+.
Simple is good