Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How Do You Clean Your Bike?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 05:06 PM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

What with the PETB thread and yet another occurrence of something falling out of the sky today, I decided to give Slick a good cleaning.

I started by turning Slick upside down, removing the wheels, and slathering a bunch of GOOP hand cleaner on the bottom of the down tube, the back side of the seat tube, and the insides of the fork, chain stays, and seat stays. This stuff (GOOP) will soften tar, oil, dirt, and all manner of unknown grunge that comes up from the road and affixes itself to anything available. I allowed the GOOP to stand for a few minutes while I ministered to the wheels. In most cases, the aforementioned grunge will wipe off with a paper towel. Sometimes, another dollop of GOOP is required.

I put the wheels, one at a time, in the shower and squirted the braking surfaces with 409. After the 409, I scrubbed the surfaces with the rough side of a Scotchbrite pad. I rinsed the rims with water from a little hand-operated sprayer and dried them.

After the wheels were done I wiped the GOOPY frame with paper towels. I placed some GOOP on other parts like the brakes, derailleurs, and crank arms to remove grease, tar, oil etc.

Wheels were installed, and the rear brakes needed adjustment. After that the chain was wiped off and lubed.

The last step was a treatment with Bike Lust. Slick looks pretty good now, and the brakes and chain should be in good shape. If various and sundry stuff ever quits falling from the sky, Slick and I will once again grace the roads with our presence.

So, how do you clean your bike? Do you use any special techniques or cleaners that work especially well? Share the wealth. If we can't ride, we may as well learn something new.
Old 02-21-10, 05:10 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
For routine cleaning, I use window cleaner and towels. I hang the bike from the rafters by the front tire and clean the back half. Then hang by back wheel and do front half. If I run into heavy grease, I use a little Greased Lightning. Drive tran is a different story. That requires some disassembly and the use of brushes along with Greased Lightining.
Old 02-21-10, 05:47 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put the bike rack in the trailer hitch receiver to hold it above the ground. I spray the entire bike with water then spray Simple Green over the entire bike. I use a soft car wash glove to wipe down the whole bike including wheels but not the drive train. I then rinse off the bike then give the cassette, chain, chain rings and rear derailleur another douse of Simple Green followed by using a brush to clean everything, then rinse again. I then wipe everything dry except the drive train. After letting the drive train dry I lube the chain, wipe off any excess lube and I'm done.
Old 02-21-10, 05:58 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I put my bike on a mechanics' stand, remove the wheels, and then fill a big bucket with soapy water (I usually use whatever car wash soap I have on hand).

I then use a long-handled, soft brush to clean most of the bike. I use alloy wheel cleaner (again, from my bucket of car-wash stuff) to get grease off of alloy bits, if I need to. I have some old toothbrushes and other stuff to get into small places where I need to scrub.

I use a Pedro's cassette cleaning tool to clean out the cassette, and use rags and chain lube to clean the drivetrain.
Old 02-21-10, 06:27 PM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I put the bike rack in the trailer hitch receiver to hold it above the ground. I spray the entire bike with water then spray Simple Green over the entire bike. I use a soft car wash glove to wipe down the whole bike including wheels but not the drive train. I then rinse off the bike then give the cassette, chain, chain rings and rear derailleur another douse of Simple Green followed by using a brush to clean everything, then rinse again. I then wipe everything dry except the drive train. After letting the drive train dry I lube the chain, wipe off any excess lube and I'm done.
Almost sounds like you've been watching me...
Old 02-21-10, 07:48 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Metric Man
Almost sounds like you've been watching me...
Yup, me too. Except, instead of Simple Green, I use a foaming cleanser.
Old 02-21-10, 07:56 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clean it? You can clean those?

Actually I do it by whatever means seems expedient, depending on how dirty it is and what I have on hand. For the frame and major components, knockoff Lemon Pledge (at the Dollar Store for a buck) and paper towels or rags work fine. A friend of mine who used to be a team mechanic sprays everything but the rims, tires and brake pads with WD40, then wipes it all off. For major cleaning, which I hardly ever do, I use a bucket of soapy water and a rag or soft brush. Scrub down the whole thing, rinse with a hose or bucket of clear water, bounce a few times to shake off the water, then lube everything that needs it.
Old 02-21-10, 09:07 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Here's how I do it

One improvises in apartment living.

After every wet or snowy ride, the bikes get rinsed under the handheld shower. Once a month or so, they get a thorough sudsy scrubbing with blue Dawn. The drivetrain gets degreased with Simple Green Max Automotive Degreaser. Finally, a coat of Pedro's Bike Lust keeps new dirt from sticking.
Old 02-21-10, 09:10 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
What with the PETB thread and yet another occurrence of something falling out of the sky today, I decided to give Slick a good cleaning.

I started by turning Slick upside down, removing the wheels, and slathering a bunch of GOOP hand cleaner on the bottom of the down tube, the back side of the seat tube, and the insides of the fork, chain stays, and seat stays. This stuff (GOOP) will soften tar, oil, dirt, and all manner of unknown grunge that comes up from the road and affixes itself to anything available. I allowed the GOOP to stand for a few minutes while I ministered to the wheels. In most cases, the aforementioned grunge will wipe off with a paper towel. Sometimes, another dollop of GOOP is required.

I put the wheels, one at a time, in the shower and squirted the braking surfaces with 409. After the 409, I scrubbed the surfaces with the rough side of a Scotchbrite pad. I rinsed the rims with water from a little hand-operated sprayer and dried them.

After the wheels were done I wiped the GOOPY frame with paper towels. I placed some GOOP on other parts like the brakes, derailleurs, and crank arms to remove grease, tar, oil etc.

Wheels were installed, and the rear brakes needed adjustment. After that the chain was wiped off and lubed.

The last step was a treatment with Bike Lust. Slick looks pretty good now, and the brakes and chain should be in good shape. If various and sundry stuff ever quits falling from the sky, Slick and I will once again grace the roads with our presence.

So, how do you clean your bike? Do you use any special techniques or cleaners that work especially well? Share the wealth. If we can't ride, we may as well learn something new.
One comment, stuff like GOOP should be used sparingly, it can damage paint. Automotive bug and tar removers are safe for paint finishes, and should work just as well, if not better.

My own process is similar with a couple of differences, flip bike over, remove wheels, wash frame with a good car cleaner, if there are tar bits use the bug and tar remover. Touch up the paint in those areas that need it, and add a layer of Carnuba wax (twice a year). The chain gets wiped down with a J-cloth sprayed with chain cleaner, as does the rear cluster and chain rings. I use alcohol from the medicine cabinet on the rims to remove brake dust and other grunge, automotive alloy wheel cleaner could be used on rims and spokes. I wipe the basic grunge off tires, check the brake pads for wear, put the wheels back on, then spin them to run them to check for true, before tightening them up. If they are off more then I like, pull the wheel back off, let the air out of the tire and check for lose spokes, any that are lose get tightened back up until they match the others, this usually pulls it back into true enough that it can be still used. If it's still way off then it goes to the shop for proper truing. Once the wheels are back on, I put it on the trainer and check the shifting, adjusting the cables if needed. Now I do the wife's bike.
Old 02-21-10, 09:37 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I don't spray water on my bikes (well, very rarely). Normally I wipe them down with a damp cloth or if dirtier or greasy, I'll spray on 409 or Simple Green and wipe it off with a cloth. Or sometimes I'll use a cloth damp with 409 or Simple Green. When there is caked on mud, I let it dry and then wipe or brush off the bulk of it and then use a wet cloth followed by the cleaners. After wiping everything clean, I rub on a coating of Bike Lust.
Old 02-21-10, 10:12 PM
dzrthauler
I can - therefore, I do..

Bikes: '84 Motocruiser, '10 KHS TR 101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cyclepup's TriCross is always first one on the blue stand...frame gets hosed, brushed, wiped- chain gets run through the blue chain cleaner, cogs and sprockets get brushed & Pro Linked... then all gets made pretty for her with an old all cotton T-shirt. My Motocruiser fights me to the very end... not a big fan of baths - his concept of a bath were huge puddles at the end of a drop waaayyy back in the day!!
Old 02-22-10, 06:33 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Team mechanic cleans it.

I use the garden hose to spray it down, then a bucket with soapy water and brush. I dry it by using a chamois on the non-greasy parts. The drivechain gets a once over with old rags to dry it and then fresh lube.

Last edited by NOS88; 02-22-10 at 08:10 AM. Reason: I forgot the fresh lube.
Old 02-22-10, 07:36 AM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I use the garden hose to spray it down, then a bucket with soapy water and brush. I dry it be using a chamois on the non-greasy parts. The drivechain gets a once over with old rags to dry it and then fresh lube.
Pretty much the same here, but I use "Awesome" spray on stubborn spots or grease, and a Park tool chain cleaner with orange based cleaner on the chain and sprockets. Dry-lube the chain and wipe it down. Dry it with paper towels or old bath towels.

Kiss it good night. Dream of riding it again tomorrow.
Old 02-22-10, 08:21 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use Simple Green and a rag. I clean the chain with one of those chain cleaner doohickeys that you fill with solvent. (I use Simple Green.) I have a Park brush that I use to clean off the cassette. I clean muck off the rear derailleur wheels (what do you call those thingamabobs again?) and the cranks with a screwdriver. That''s about it.
Old 02-22-10, 10:56 PM
arkansasgal

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Between thorough cleanings, after every ride I wipe my bike down with baby wipes. Works great without soap and water, and really gets any grease off my hands. I also carry baby wipes on my bike to clean up after a dropped chain, etc.
Old 02-23-10, 06:17 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I asked DG's Bike Butler on how he clens DG's bike and all he does is leave it out in th rain. Then wipe down with a clth

Soapy water and a chain cleaning device. then take off the wheels and clean the bike. with a cloth. Then relube.a

Spike Milligan
Old 02-23-10, 06:23 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Here's how I do it

These pictures look, well, so....dirty.

Reported to the moderators on general principles.
Old 03-05-10, 10:31 PM
boatguytoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been cleaning my 08' Specialized Comp carbon frame with a waterless car cleaner called DriWashnGuard.com.

I can wipe down and polish the whole bike, except for the lubricated drive components, in less than 15 minutes, right in my study.
It goes on quickly with a soft cloth, cleans all the road dirt, oil, grease, tar and drys to a light haze.
Here is a great attribute, it can be applied to the all metal, plastic, carbon, rubber, or painted surfaces and leaves a super slick finish on the hard surfaces.
You don't have to worry about keeping it off certain materials, it wipes off easily unlike some car waxes that don't mix well with rubber and plastics.

I apply Dri WashnGuard to the frame, brake and shift cable housings, derailleurs, brakes, bike computer, carbon seat post, rubber hoods, brifters, wheels, (not braking surfaces) hubs, spokes, black anodized aluminum handlebars, literally everything but the seat and bar tape.
I can do this because it dries to a light haze and with a quick buff all residue comes right off with the dirt and grime suspended in it.
No white residue left on the rubber hoods, just keeps them clean and supple.
This is not a teflon or silicone, it is a polmer based finish with surfactants that remove and suspend the grime.
It will build up with a few applications and especially give the frame a deep wet look shine.
I hate to sound cliche, but when I polish the dry haze off the carbon top tube with a soft cloth and a buffing motion, it actually squeaks! Yes squeaky clean!
I have enough applications I usually just wipe the bike down after a typical ride with a soft cloth and the road dirt just wipes right off because the finish is so slick the grime just doesn't stick to it.

This stuff is so slick I'll tell you a story. I use DriWashnGuard on my car too. Before I started using it I would often find kitty paw prints on my hood or roof.
The cat was used to jumping up on the car as a vantage spot.
I had just used DriWashnGuard on my car one afternoon for the first time when kitty decided to make a running jump onto the hood and guess what, he kept right on going as he slid across the hood and off the car! Don't find kitty prints on the Lexus anymore. Ha!
Like I said I do whole bike in 15 minutes, it is so quick and easy I actually take the time to clean the bike!
No water, no harsh cleaners, right in the house, my cleaning maintenance philosophy is to do quick frequent wipe downs with a fast product that keeps the whole bike looking great all the time.
Otherwise you defer maintenance and do a bigger project.
Now if I could figure out a routine as easy for chain and cassette cleaning.
Old 03-05-10, 11:38 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of those chain-cleaning gizmos, but with the speed link master links, I prefer to take the chain off, put it in a water bottle with simple green and shake, rinse, reinstall and relube. Looks new.
Old 03-06-10, 04:52 AM
grinningfool
Senior Moment

Bikes: 2014 Surly LHT, 2003 Giant NRS 3, 1991 Trek 7000, 2022 Surly Bridge Club, 1985 Miyata 210, 1999 Schwinn Moab 2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I generally just use furniture polish and a rag, and use a toothbrush on the small grungy parts. Also I use a Park chain cleaner on the chain. Then re-lube with tri-flow.
Old 03-06-10, 05:20 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
All of these procedures are within PETB's guidelines... well done!
Old 03-06-10, 06:37 AM
Tardis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You pose an interesting question. Doesn't your butler do it? What is the point of having a butler if he doesn't clean your bike well?
Old 03-06-10, 06:39 AM
Tardis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Here's how I do it

One improvises in apartment living.

After every wet or snowy ride, the bikes get rinsed under the handheld shower. Once a month or so, they get a thorough sudsy scrubbing with blue Dawn. The drivetrain gets degreased with Simple Green Max Automotive Degreaser. Finally, a coat of Pedro's Bike Lust keeps new dirt from sticking.
I take it you don't have a wife......
Old 03-06-10, 07:09 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tardis
I take it you don't have a wife......
You mean a money-grubbing, two-timing, golddigger? Nope. Got rid of two. Not in the market for any more abuse, thanks.

Any more questions?
Old 03-06-10, 07:50 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 64 Posts
I can't recall ever cleaning it in nine years. Then again, most of the mechanicals are enclosed.

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.