Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tour de where?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tour de where?

Old 01-19-17, 11:16 PM
Shamrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Tour de where?

I rode the gap,great experience .Is there another
similar trail on the east coast?
Old 01-20-17, 07:59 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Beginning just north of Montreal is the P'tit Train du Nord, a superb rail-trail. (232 km long)

Discover the fabulous scenery alongside our linear parks! | Tourisme Laurentides

Near Richmond is the Virginia Capital Trail (52 miles long)

Virginia Capital Trail Foundation | Connecting the past to the present
Old 01-20-17, 10:10 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Then there's this:

East Coast Greenway

The Canadian trail is most likely the analog to the GAP you already rode; the rest will be combinations of trail and public roadway. Depends on what you seek. The Capitol Trail in Virginia is a paved path that parallels public highway for its length. Good luck!

When you rode the GAP did you also ride the C&O section from Cumberland MD to D.C?
Old 01-20-17, 10:13 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
Beginning just north of Montreal is the P'tit Train du Nord, a superb rail-trail. (232 km long)
I'm putting that one in my back pocket for future consideration, looks like a beautiful trail!
Old 01-20-17, 10:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
There is very little green in PA portion of the East Coast Greenway. In fact, a lot of the route in PA is what I would describe as miserable.

Go west, young man, and ride the Mickelson Trail in SD. More rugged and more difficult than the GAP. You'd have to do some road riding to get there from Rapid City unless you rent a car or somehow arrange for transportation, but it would be worth it.
Old 01-20-17, 12:28 PM
Shamrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Then there's this:

East Coast Greenway

The Canadian trail is most likely the analog to the GAP you already rode; the rest will be combinations of trail and public roadway. Depends on what you seek. The Capitol Trail in Virginia is a paved path that parallels public highway for its length. Good luck!

When you rode the GAP did you also ride the C&O section from Cumberland MD to D.C?
No Cumberland and up . I live on the east coast greenway.I used to see guys ride by . My thoughts were that poor guy looks like he just got divorced and is heading south for easy living.I haven't met anyone in town who even knows that the greenway passes through.Some of the areas around here are rough and if you tried camping you would be issued a ticket.
Old 01-20-17, 12:37 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Ever check out rails to trails.org? I think there is one on the erie canal. Rode some of the airline trail in CT last year. And one goes almost the whole width of RI too.
Old 01-20-17, 03:12 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Quebec also offers the Route Verte, over 3,000 miles of mixed road and trail in the province. It probably includes some or all of the first trail mentioned plus a bunch more. We saw signs for this when we drove up to Quebec last spring.
The Green Route - Quebec's Cycling Network
Green Route.JPG

Last edited by thumpism; 01-20-17 at 03:18 PM.