Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Endurance/Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 03:10 PM
vilago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry if this topic has been beat to death somewhere, but I recently broke the frame of my 2 year old Novara Strada from REI and seeing as how they gave me a full refund, I thought I'd use it to upgrade. Looking at an Endurance model at ~1500 to 2500 price range. My main requirements are, 105 or better and disc brakes since it looks like they are all but ubiquitous now, with hydraulic preferred. That's really it, don't really care if it's carbon or not since I'm a heavier rider anyway. Prefer maybe slightly on the more relaxed side of geometry but that's not a requirement, never been picky in that area. I have been eyeing the Canyon Endurace since they came out last year but there's so many options and brands on the market now it's difficult to find something with a good feature set and customer service history that I can trust. Also I would like a stronger wheel than the DT Swiss they currently have speced on the Canyon because of how heavy I am and how aggressively I ride, but you can't customize anything.... I'm also worried about the track history of Canyon in general and their customer service if I were to have a problem again in 2 years...

Seeing as how REI really took care of me on this, I was looking at the Co-Op ARD 1.4 as an option but seems expensive for what it is to me, but I do like the wheel set that is on it.

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-01-18, 03:18 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
How heavy are we talking about, and is your body evenly proportioned, or shorter/longer in the torso?
Old 05-01-18, 03:34 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The DB Century 2 has Ultegra and hydro's and it's only $1100 if you sign up for a corporate account. So a search and you can find the corporate code to register with.

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bik...ance/century-2
Old 05-01-18, 03:41 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lazyass
The DB Century 2 has Ultegra and hydro's and it's only $1100 if you sign up for a corporate account. So a search and you can find the corporate code to register with.

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bik...ance/century-2
Best bang for buck. Or FUJI

But you can get a lot in your price range.

Cannondale Synapse.
Old 05-01-18, 04:26 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Go with the best fitting frame. At this price, you won’t get a crap frameset.
Old 05-01-18, 05:51 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Go with the best fitting frame. At this price, you won’t get a crap frameset.
Agreed, man. Bike fit is everything. I know test rides suck, but ride all the bikes you can and get a feel for what you like.

The one you feel good on is the one you should buy.

Can't go wrong in your price range really. Lots of good bikes.

Maybe see if you can get a rental bike of one you wish to buy . Talk to you LBS and look on the website of the manufacturer to see if they have demo days/dealerships.

Also, endurance bike, why? unless you plan on going off road and putting 30cc tires on it, you can put a shorter/higher stem on a roadbike and make it more comfortable.
Old 05-01-18, 06:12 PM
vilago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn’t think of the demo days option. You’re right I really need to ride a bunch of models to get an idea of what I like because I haven’t owned a lot of bikes, the Novara was my first new purchase. As to endurance, I guess it doesn’t matter I just figured they were more comfortable but to be honest I haven’t tried enough different makes/models to know. I guess it’s not really a prerequisite. My weight is 225 on a good day but right now I’m 239 (been traveling a lot). In the 2 years I owned the Novara I wore out the stock Alex rim -kept breaking spokes after 10 months and needed to be trued constantly before that. then the Mavic they put on to replace it was just as bad. Before the frame broke the 3rd wheel needed to be trued and was 6 months old which was much better than the other 2, but I hate truing wheels
Old 05-01-18, 06:25 PM
vilago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I would say I am proportioned average.

What makes tbe synapse synapse a good buy? The diamondback always seemed meh to me for some reason, maybe because wal mart sells them it bugs me.
Old 05-02-18, 01:57 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jordanair45

, you can put a shorter/higher stem on a roadbike and make it more comfortable.
There's a lot more going on with modern endurance bikes than just bar height!

Last edited by tungsten; 05-02-18 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-02-18, 02:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,836 Posts
I recommend getting one ... or more.
Old 05-02-18, 03:27 PM
socalscalatore

Bikes: 2017 CAAD12

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO, past a certain price point, the exact brand/bike doesn't matter, they're all good. Get one that 1) excites you, 2) looks good, and 3) fits you.

Trek Domane/Spec Roubaix/Cannondale Synapse/Giant Defy/Canyon Endurace/blah blah. Seriously, take your pick.
Old 05-03-18, 07:02 AM
vilago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by socalscalatore
IMO, past a certain price point, the exact brand/bike doesn't matter, they're all good. Get one that 1) excites you, 2) looks good, and 3) fits you.

Trek Domane/Spec Roubaix/Cannondale Synapse/Giant Defy/Canyon Endurace/blah blah. Seriously, take your pick.
This is what I suspected. I guess some anecdotal experiences with the brand's customer service would be helpful. After all, I did break the frame on this bike, would any of these brands have replaced it or told me to take a hike?
Old 05-03-18, 05:27 PM
socalscalatore

Bikes: 2017 CAAD12

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vilago
This is what I suspected. I guess some anecdotal experiences with the brand's customer service would be helpful. After all, I did break the frame on this bike, would any of these brands have replaced it or told me to take a hike?
since you had positive experience with REI, you could try the Cannondale Synapse, pretty sure REI carry them, and at year end I bet they can be had for great price.
Old 05-03-18, 05:41 PM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
And I would say I am proportioned average.

What makes tbe synapse synapse a good buy? The diamondback always seemed meh to me for some reason, maybe because wal mart sells them it bugs me.
not sure of ur budget after the bike purchase and like you I am a heavy rider at 230 could never. Keep rims true either until I bought a set of hed Ardennes stallion edition now 10000 miles later still true as day one pricy but well worth it
Old 05-04-18, 08:50 AM
vilago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by socalscalatore
since you had positive experience with REI, you could try the Cannondale Synapse, pretty sure REI carry them, and at year end I bet they can be had for great price.
This is a good point, I will definitely try the Cannondale and perhaps bring my business to REI considering their good service. The only thing is that I don't have a backup right now so don't want to miss out on the whole season just to save a few $.
Old 05-04-18, 08:52 AM
vilago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridingfool
not sure of ur budget after the bike purchase and like you I am a heavy rider at 230 could never. Keep rims true either until I bought a set of hed Ardennes stallion edition now 10000 miles later still true as day one pricy but well worth it
I don't really have an after purchase budget but if I want strong wheels I may have to consider that I can't exchange them when buying the bike and will have to eat that additional cost and try to dump the stock wheels. Thanks for the recommendation also.
Old 05-05-18, 08:06 AM
JSCjr

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc; 2016 Trek FX 7.2

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can check out some of the details of my similar journey here. As others have said, there are lots of nice bikes at this price point - get out and ride as many as you can and grab the one that moves you (figuratively and literally!).
Old 05-07-18, 12:42 PM
vilago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JSCjr
You can check out some of the details of my similar journey here. As others have said, there are lots of nice bikes at this price point - get out and ride as many as you can and grab the one that moves you (figuratively and literally!).
Interesting. I didn't have as positive an experience with the Domane as you did but found the Checkpoint to be a better option. Also tried the CAAD12 and found it to be better than the synapse. So for me it's coming down to CAAD12 or Checkpoint, and most likely the canondale due to the Trek store not budging on price. I guess this is why there are so many options out there, as there's no such thing as one size fits all.
Old 05-07-18, 03:31 PM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went from a synapse to a caad12 and fell in love. It isn't at all an endurance geo, but I find it to not be any harsher of a ride than my synapse was.
Come on, join the cult of caad!
Old 05-08-18, 11:03 AM
vilago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evan326
I went from a synapse to a caad12 and fell in love. It isn't at all an endurance geo, but I find it to not be any harsher of a ride than my synapse was.
Come on, join the cult of caad!
Think I might!
Issue I'm having is I can't decide between the 105 disk or rim brake version. the piece that protrudes on the bottom inside of the RS505 hood is a bit uncomfortable. Too bad they just announced the updated 105 set last month, if only I could wait til next year...
Old 05-08-18, 11:11 AM
Harumph

Bikes: 2018 BMC RoadMachine 02

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This ^^^^^^^^
I have ridden lot's of bikes but the more I ride my new ride the more I'm falling in love with it. It's solid, fast, comfortable and forgiving, even on chip seal roads. I can't say enough good about this bike. BMC knocked it out of the park.

Last edited by Harumph; 05-08-18 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-09-18, 08:03 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I've been riding the Trek Domane S5 for about 2 years. I like it better than my first bike with "race" geometry.
Old 05-09-18, 10:13 AM
vilago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's been extremely difficult but I think i'm going to give the Canyon Ultimate a shot. The CAAD12 is a fantastic beast but the overall Canyon package is hard to ignore for the price. Geometry is very similar so I would expect the fit to be just as good. If anyone is interested I can post some feedback on it after a few rides once I get it.
Old 05-09-18, 10:40 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's been extremely difficult but I think i'm going to give the Canyon Ultimate a shot. The CAAD12 is a fantastic beast but the overall Canyon package is hard to ignore for the price. Geometry is very similar so I would expect the fit to be just as good. If anyone is interested I can post some feedback on it after a few rides once I get it.
Which specific one? And you decided you wanted to more race geometry of the Ultimate versus the Endurace?
Old 05-09-18, 11:02 AM
vilago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
Which specific one? And you decided you wanted to more race geometry of the Ultimate versus the Endurace?
The Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0
Yes, I tried a couple endurance bikes, Synapse and Dumane, and actually didn't like the upright feel as much as the more aggressive positioning. It wasn't that the upright posture wasn't fine, it was just a bit too upright for me and the race geometry was still plenty comfortable. I didn't realize this until trying the Synapse then trying the CAAD12 back to back, which revealed a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.