Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What may annoy you when commuting?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What may annoy you when commuting?

Old 04-03-19, 12:22 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
What instrument of torture should be used to accomplish that execution, I wonder? That execution which happens slowly, and could be called, (lemme check my thesaurus), um, Extended? I wonder what would be an appropriate device to accomplish an extended death, because of the crime against humanity of inventing an extendo-leash-of-death?

Maybe the electric chair?
Actually, mankind has a long history of inventing such torture devices. If we listed them all, it might take some time to decide. Some methods took days. The electric chair is considered humane. I'm kidding of course.
Old 04-03-19, 12:53 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
I was kidding too. The obviously appropriate method of extended death for the crime against humanity of inventing an extendo-leash-of-death, is extended death by extendo-leash-of-death. To the death. Until Dead. Extensively.

It's similar to the scene in Netflix's Ballad of Buster Scruggs where James Franco survives his lynching, but is stuck on his horse who is grazing further and further away, gradually choking him more and more. In this case, The extendo-leash-of-death would be initially wrapped around their neck, and their dog left free to roam, sniff, chase squirrels, etc until nature took its course.

Last edited by RubeRad; 04-03-19 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-03-19, 01:38 PM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Something on topic:

When you are really close to destination and suddenly surprise biblical downpour.
Old 04-03-19, 01:43 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
Something on topic:

When you are really close to destination and suddenly surprise biblical downpour.
Much better to be close than far away. Riding a long time in cold rain without proper gear before you've had a chance to warm up is much worse than a short distance when you're fully warmed up.

Getting pelted by hail in strong wind isn't much fun either. Nuthin' like ice marbles on the road while you ride with an ice cream headache because a bunch of them got through your helmet vents.
Old 04-03-19, 02:24 PM
phile

Originally Posted by banerjek
Much better to be close than far away. Riding a long time in cold rain without proper gear before you've had a chance to warm up is much worse than a short distance when you're fully warmed up.

Getting pelted by hail in strong wind isn't much fun either. Nuthin' like ice marbles on the road while you ride with an ice cream headache because a bunch of them got through your helmet vents.
i always have rain gear on me, it's a very rainy country. but what annoys me is when i'm really close at which point i have to stop and quickly put on rain gear for what is less than 10 minutes of biking. i have no problem with biking with my rain gear it's just annoying to stop to put it on for such a short amount of time.
Old 04-03-19, 03:10 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by phile
i always have rain gear on me, it's a very rainy country. but what annoys me is when i'm really close at which point i have to stop and quickly put on rain gear for what is less than 10 minutes of biking. i have no problem with biking with my rain gear it's just annoying to stop to put it on for such a short amount of time.
I hear you.

If I think it might rain, I also lug rain gear but don't wear it unless it appears necessary since you burn up otherwise. Sometimes I get caught by the dynamic you describe. It is annoying -- I choose to get drenched and be home quicker rather than mess around with gearing up
Old 04-03-19, 06:37 PM
alikitch

Bikes: Colnago Master, Tommasini Techno, De Rosa Primato, XB3 Kvant, Cinelli track, KHS Aerotrack, Takhion track, Samoilov track

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Old 04-04-19, 01:40 AM
phile

I hear you.

If I think it might rain, I also lug rain gear but don't wear it unless it appears necessary since you burn up otherwise. Sometimes I get caught by the dynamic you describe. It is annoying -- I choose to get drenched and be home quicker rather than mess around with gearing up
if i'm close i try to make a sprint for it as soon as i feel first drop. but a lot of time i don't get that luxury it goes from everyday grey skies; pretty much standard here, to downpour without warning and this leads to decision get to destination soaked or stop to put on rain gear only to take it off in about 10 minutes. such a pain. that said yesterday's sprint to avoid the rain definitely gave me a work out, went at highest speed i could maintain for a mile. Road with lots of raised sections to maintain low speeds due to residential area, had me getting some air time on the drops due to going too fast to roll down. it was a rough ride that had me breathing heavily for a good bit after. i didn't get wet though so yay.
Old 04-05-19, 11:45 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
What annoys me is having to commute on the highway, because the local rail authority insisted on rail with trail on their 20-years-defunct line in a very tight space, tripling the cost and the timeline. Three more years until I can ride the trail to work. Hopefully only two years until those thrice accursed eucalyptus are taken down.
Old 04-06-19, 02:55 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Not being able to catch a driver to yell at him because he almost killed me.
Old 04-06-19, 08:35 PM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
My stupidity... being tired (I should not have ridden to work and had actually thought about staying home and calling in sick and sleeping) and not paying attention. https://photos.app.goo.gl/JybBhwFZ59wDpy3dA
Old 04-07-19, 07:55 PM
sheyn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
amen! shall use this mantra more often!
thank you sir
Old 04-08-19, 08:26 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
Not being able to catch a driver to yell at him because he almost killed me.
Especially when you come up with a solid hard hitting thing to say that you know would make him cry....but know he'll never hear it.

Been there.
Old 04-08-19, 09:20 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
My stupidity... being tired (I should not have ridden to work and had actually thought about staying home and calling in sick and sleeping) and not paying attention. https://photos.app.goo.gl/JybBhwFZ59wDpy3dA
Aww, sorry you got broke! Rest up and get better!
Old 04-08-19, 09:30 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Well that sucks out loud! Hope you heal fast.
Old 04-08-19, 12:57 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
As above. Feel better, and a speedy recovery.
Old 04-09-19, 10:53 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I found a new (to me) one on my way in this morning.when meter reader wearing a high viz vest got out of a van with retroreflective tape and blinking lights and walked into my path while staring intently at his handheld device. I guess all the effort that someone put into making others see their employee and equipment that they would make stressed being aware of their surroundings.
Old 04-10-19, 01:34 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Cars parked in the bike lane.
Old 04-10-19, 01:43 PM
sapan

Bikes: Kona Rove al, Wilier Triestina

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Getting sweat because of the backpack.
Old 04-11-19, 02:23 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
After more testing this week I can say that getting a flat tire still annoys me.
Old 04-12-19, 06:05 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
My pet peeve - anyone (ped, driver, cyclist) who wears so much cologne/perfume, you can smell it well before and after they've passed.
Old 04-12-19, 04:34 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by commo_soulja
My pet peeve - anyone (ped, driver, cyclist) who wears so much cologne/perfume, you can smell it well before and after they've passed.
You wouldn't like rural riding.

You can get sprayed with "reclaimed" water (i.e. sewage) used to irrigate fields, the flies can be so thick you can't help but inhaling a few when you pass bioremediation ponds or livestock yards, and there's nothing like being behind a truck hauling rotting carcasses to the rendering plant.

On the other hand, passing mint fields or drafting a hop truck can be downright heavenly.
Old 04-12-19, 09:07 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
I happily wear my current rain shell from 10F to 50F in all conditions, the fabric is very breathable. I need something equal for warmer temps, not too hopeful.

I hear you.

Old 04-12-19, 09:14 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
I happily wear my current rain shell from 10F to 50F in all conditions, the fabric is very breathable. I need something equal for warmer temps, not too hopeful.
What's your current rain shell if I may ask?
Old 04-13-19, 09:00 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
What's your current rain shell if I may ask?
It’s a 2017 Gore Active shell

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/gor...0aAq8nEALw_wcB

Last edited by Archwhorides; 04-14-19 at 09:09 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.