Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How Many Pairs Of Road Shoes Do You Have?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How Many Pairs Of Road Shoes Do You Have?

Old 01-16-20, 04:35 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
One main pair and a back up that basically just gets used on the trainer.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-16-20, 05:39 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I only have two pair (one pair is a never-used backup), but not for a lack of trying. I've got wider feet and nothing seems to fit me right.
Old 01-16-20, 08:19 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by haggiszero
Just 2

Before: 348g per shoe w/o cleat
Wore these Sidi's for ~6 years, will still be my rainy / nasty cold day shoe

After: 367g for pair with cleats

Very comfy first impressions on trainer, feels like a skin suit for your foot, no pressure, very thin feeling
in three years those specialized are gonna be somewhere in the landfill while the Sidi will outlast the cockroach.
Likes For Noctilux.95:
Old 01-17-20, 12:37 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Yes I like shoes and helmets, and bikes.

Likes For Noctilux.95:
Old 01-17-20, 12:52 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I only have two pair (one pair is a never-used backup), but not for a lack of trying. I've got wider feet and nothing seems to fit me right.
Have you tried Lake?

Best non-custom wide shoes I've found.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 01-17-20, 12:58 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
in three years those specialized are gonna be somewhere in the landfill while the Sidi will outlast the cockroach.
Quite the opposite, actually.
Old 01-17-20, 03:21 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Have you tried Lake?

Best non-custom wide shoes I've found.
I tried their wide winter boots. Not sure if the last is the same between those and their road shoes. In any event, they weren't quite right. IIRC, they didn't hold my heel very well.

Also tried Bont, which is the other big name in wide cycling shoes. Didn't like them, either. Could feel the upturned edges of the foot bed. I think those were heat moldable, but I felt that they were just a little too off and I didn't want to commit to the coin by throwing them in the oven.
Old 01-18-20, 06:55 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
4 road pr. (Look & Campy) in use and 1 MTN spd . 2 new pr. in closet, deciding which cleats to install. KB.
Old 01-19-20, 09:12 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
1 pair of 3 yr old Giro Trans. I'd like to go with boa's but the Giro's work well, and they don't seem like they'll wear out any time soon.

I also use trail running shoes for my pinned flats on the mtn bike.
Old 01-20-20, 02:03 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
I have well over a dozen pairs of shoes. Presently snowbirding in Florida so I can't actually count them but probably have close to 20 pairs of bike shoes. I'm a jersey and shoe *****.
Old 01-20-20, 02:07 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by illjustride
Anyone ride with the same pair all year round? Was thinking of getting a black pair and a white pair for races and to match my different helmets. Curious what people are doing.
Really? To match your helmets?

Black goes with everything. But maybe you are into fashion shows.
Old 01-21-20, 05:10 AM
InfinityMPG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yep! I ride with just one pair all year, and they're more than ten years old now — well-built shoes can last a long time. They're the 2009 Pearl Izumi Octane SL shoes, about 200g per shoe. They're black and white, so as far as matching goes, they match with pretty much everything. Most companies have black and white specifically for that reason. Easy to match, easy to sell.

That being said, I also have a pair of 2010 Bont Sub-8 triathlon shoes — also black and white — but I only use them on race day for triathlons since they cut down on transition time. I've also been looking to replace the Pearl Izumi shoes. I wouldn't mind matching equipment by getting something colorful like the blue Shimano S-Phyre RC9Ts, but I'm not a fan of Boa dials. That leaves me with market options like the Giro Prolight Techlace and the new Fi'zi:k Vento Powerstrap R2, which both have limited colorways (black and white, with a red option for the Techlace). The S-Works EXOS 99 shoes would have been nice, but they're nearly impossible to get and only have one color option. If they made those in blue, I'd throw money at Specialized.

In short, I think if you're trying to have only one or two pairs of cycling shoes, black and white shoes make sense for longevity and for a variety of color matching options. If you want to get something brighter to match a colorful race kit, you may start breaking into collector/hoarder status. That's purely a budget call. I admit to being jealous of people who can find shoes they love in bright colors, but as someone who dislikes Boa dials and isn't a sponsored pro, I'm pretty limited in options myself, so black and white works.
Old 01-21-20, 05:54 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I have four, but only use my MTB shoe with SPD...maybe I should sell some of this other stuff?
Old 01-21-20, 07:45 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I tried their wide winter boots. Not sure if the last is the same between those and their road shoes. In any event, they weren't quite right. IIRC, they didn't hold my heel very well.

Also tried Bont, which is the other big name in wide cycling shoes. Didn't like them, either. Could feel the upturned edges of the foot bed. I think those were heat moldable, but I felt that they were just a little too off and I didn't want to commit to the coin by throwing them in the oven.
Lake has three lasts of differing widths. The one they use on their super high end shoe doesn't work for me - it's too narrow, but the one on their lace up does.

The nice thing about Lake and Bont is they post the shoe widths on their websites and provide guides for measuring them. Bont's wides are not wide enough for me.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 01-21-20, 07:48 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
2 now.

I have the first set of shimano’s that I bought 3
years ago when I started riding and I recently picked up a set of S-Works 7’s. I’ll use the Shimano on wet/possible rain days.
Old 01-21-20, 11:50 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I've used Speedplays for the last... 15? years but last year as my most recent pair of S-Works shoes were worn out after 8 years or so decided to give SPD a try. So got A600 pedals and Dominator 7 SR shoes - I have narrow, low volume feet, and use S-Works shim inserts for pronation, which fit perfectly in the 7 SR's. I was hesitant thinking they'd be mushy (there are so many mtb shoes that are little more than sneakers with screw holes), but those shoes work great for me. Good on the bike, walkable, compatible with all my other bikes. (I use M540 pedals for commuting.) Just ordered a pair of the new Dominator 10's; the velcro on the 7's does a number on my shoe covers, and I like to wear thicker socks in winter so went up a half size on the 10's. I couldn't find anyone locally with them in stock so ordered from CC, so will have to see how they fit, if like the 7's I suspect these may become my regular road shoe. If they fit sorta okay I'll probably only use them in winter. If they don't fit at all I'll return them. In general I prefer to have only one pair of shoes, but it never hurts to have a properly fitting spare pair.
Old 01-21-20, 11:58 AM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
I only have one pair of Lake shoes.
I can't imagine why I'd need more than one pair of cycling shoes.
... but then again, a few months ago, I couldn't imagine why I'd spend $3,000 on a bicycle.
Old 01-21-20, 12:12 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Just two, strictly for matchy, matchy purposes.
Old 01-21-20, 12:48 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
One black pair, one white pair that gets dirty before I’m 100 yards into a ride, and one pair of mt. bike bike shoes when I change the pedals.
Old 01-21-20, 04:11 PM
Mansram01

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I only have 5 pairs of road shoes:
  1. Bontrager
  2. Two pairs of Sidi's
  3. DMT
  4. Giro
And only 3 pairs of MTB shoes:
  1. Two pairs of Giros
  2. Fizik
I have to keep up with the Jones-es here in So Cal.
Old 01-21-20, 04:53 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 2,726 Times in 526 Posts
Currently 5 in operation, 3 pairs of SPD-SL Sidi's, 2 modern and some cool retro triathlon ones that are as floppy as a sandwich but look super cool and are comfortable, easy to get on and off and are easier to walk in than the others. Also have a pair of Louis Garneau road shoes.

I've had numerous Sidi and Shimano ones over the years, including some stupid expensive ones, but they all fall apart at the same rate it seems to me and no Shimano or Sidi shoe has lasted more than 3 years before being totally destroyed (I average about 8000 miles a year)

My favourite pair of shoes, and the longest lasting of all the ones I've ever had, they are entering their 10th year and still going strong, perfectly moulded to my foot and look great, are a pair of SPD Dromarti leather lace up shoes on a super stiff sole. I think I've added polish to them about 4 times ever, and that's it. They are not cheap, but they were less than half the price of my Tony Martin Sidi's, and they have done way more miles and lasted more than 3 times as long (and still going) so still represent great value. I'm definitely going to get the SPD-SL version of that shoe and not bother with anything else in future.
Old 01-21-20, 06:02 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I have no road shoes . My "road bike" is a CX bike so it has SPD pedals and I wear my regular MTB shoes or my winter MTB shoes. depending on weather.
Old 01-21-20, 06:49 PM
souplesss

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have one that I use, and then a 2nd beat up pair for indoor riding/etc.
Old 01-21-20, 09:37 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Three pairs, ll Sidi. (one pair I keep in Switzerland) of the two here I need to sell one pair.
Anyone need a pair of 90's Sidi shoes size 42, real cheep?

Old 01-21-20, 10:52 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Well thanks to this thread, I decided to up my shoe game. These guys are on their way to me. This will up me to two pairs of road shoes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.