Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Road disk wheels for up to $250?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-20, 03:39 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts

I'm helping a friend build an entry level road bike. He currently has a 2016 Giant Defy carbon disk frameset and plans on building it with Shimano 105 hydraulic groupset. What disk wheels in the $200-$250 range do you guys recommend?
Old 04-22-20, 04:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
You can often find Fulcrums in that price range on PBK. There should be 2 or 3 options of differing weight/depth. I've been thinking about picking some up as a trainer/spares.
Old 04-27-20, 03:50 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Originally Posted by WhyFi
You can often find Fulcrums in that price range on PBK. There should be 2 or 3 options of differing weight/depth. I've been thinking about picking some up as a trainer/spares.
Ended up ordering Fulcrum Racing 4 DB wheelset through Chainreaction for $311. They are 1690 grams, tubeless ready, 35mm deep, and 17mm internally. Should be fine with 25mm tires. Not bad for the price.
Likes For Noctilux.95:
Old 04-28-20, 02:36 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum...et-120069.html
Old 04-28-20, 02:59 PM
Noctilux.95

Are these the previous generation of the Racing 4 DB's?
Old 04-28-20, 03:14 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
Are these the previous generation of the Racing 4 DB's?
My understanding is that the Racing 400 is an OEM of the Racing 4. All the same technical specs, though.
Old 04-28-20, 03:39 PM
Noctilux.95

Originally Posted by WhyFi
My understanding is that the Racing 400 is an OEM of the Racing 4. All the same technical specs, though.
The 400's don't seem to have the ability to take QR's unlike the 4 DB's. Am I wrong?
Old 04-28-20, 03:56 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
The 400's don't seem to have the ability to take QR's unlike the 4 DB's. Am I wrong?
The "Racing 400 DB" custom model has the same technical features as the "Racing 4 DB" model described her
The "Racing 400 DB" custom model has the same technical features as the "Racing 4 DB" model described here

My guess would be that, if they were OEM, they probably didn't come with the swappable end caps because they were destined for a TA bike.
Old 04-30-20, 07:27 AM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
DTSwiss E1800 https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/d...0c-125710.html . More aeroer, higher quality, and stronger than the other options at this price point. Wider than the Fulcrum 4 mentioned, so it won't be as sketchy in the gusty wind and will be more aero with a 25c tire. The deeper wheel will look cooler than the less deep ones.
Old 04-30-20, 07:57 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
DTSwiss E1800 https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/d...0c-125710.html . More aeroer, higher quality, and stronger than the other options at this price point. Wider than the Fulcrum 4 mentioned, so it won't be as sketchy in the gusty wind and will be more aero with a 25c tire. The deeper wheel will look cooler than the less deep ones.
Oh dear...
  • "More aeroer" (32mm rim depth vs 35 on the Fulcrums, so...)
  • "higher quality" (Ha, what? Based on what?)
  • "and stronger than the other options at this price point." (See above)
  • "Wider than the Fulcrum 4 mentioned, so it won't be as sketchy in the gusty wind and will be more aero with a 25c tire." (25c is basically the minimum for the Fulcrums, and you can go much wider from there, even if you wouldn't want to on a road bike)
  • "The deeper wheel will look cooler than the less deep ones." (Again, see point one. The Fulcrums are actually deeper)
And the icing on the cake: the Fulcrums are 120g lighter! (Plus, $35 cheaper on Merlin). It's an easy choice...
Old 04-30-20, 11:47 AM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Oh dear...
  • "More aeroer" (32mm rim depth vs 35 on the Fulcrums, so...)
  • "higher quality" (Ha, what? Based on what?)
  • "and stronger than the other options at this price point." (See above)
  • "Wider than the Fulcrum 4 mentioned, so it won't be as sketchy in the gusty wind and will be more aero with a 25c tire." (25c is basically the minimum for the Fulcrums, and you can go much wider from there, even if you wouldn't want to on a road bike)
  • "The deeper wheel will look cooler than the less deep ones." (Again, see point one. The Fulcrums are actually deeper)
And the icing on the cake: the Fulcrums are 120g lighter! (Plus, $35 cheaper on Merlin). It's an easy choice...
;-)
Let me defend myself here -
Aero - The Fulcrum 4 (400) are one of the few wheels on the market that might be close. Yeah 35 v 32mm is going to be a toss up based on that metric. The DT swiss are wider and shallower, so they are not going to have an aggressive V shape, which is one of the causes the wind twitchiness. Being wider, the wind will also transition from the tire to the rim better. $35 is money well spent on that tiny bit of extra width IMO.

Quality - You're going to tell me DT swiss isn't one of the highest quality brands out there? Fulcum/Campy tend to use these funky spokes (pillar made?), which are not great on the lower end models in my experience, especially when you need to replace them. This wheel looks like it uses basic round spokes - not sure the quality. The DT swiss wheels above use some pretty nice Aero Comp spokes.

Stronger - Again the Fulcrum is pretty good. Fulcrum states these are good for 109kg vs Swiss 130kg - both are rated for 6in jumps. It's also a wider, heavier rim (assuming they're made out of the same stuff, the same way, with the same limitations), it'll be stronger at least laterally. Weight doesn't' matter that much, but 120gr is a lot.
Old 04-30-20, 12:20 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
;-)
Let me defend myself here -
Aero - The Fulcrum 4 (400) are one of the few wheels on the market that might be close. Yeah 35 v 32mm is going to be a toss up based on that metric. The DT swiss are wider and shallower, so they are not going to have an aggressive V shape, which is one of the causes the wind twitchiness. Being wider, the wind will also transition from the tire to the rim better. $35 is money well spent on that tiny bit of extra width IMO.
Quality - You're going to tell me DT swiss isn't one of the highest quality brands out there? Fulcum/Campy tend to use these funky spokes (pillar made?), which are not great on the lower end models in my experience, especially when you need to replace them. This wheel looks like it uses basic round spokes - not sure the quality. The DT swiss wheels above use some pretty nice Aero Comp spokes.
Stronger - Again the Fulcrum is pretty good. Fulcrum states these are good for 109kg vs Swiss 130kg - both are rated for 6in jumps. It's also a wider, heavier rim (assuming they're made out of the same stuff, the same way, with the same limitations), it'll be stronger at least laterally. Weight doesn't' matter that much, but 120gr is a lot.
I'd say quality wise it's about a wash. Both options are on the lower end for these reputable brands, so both are going to have some corners cut to keep the price down.

They say a little extra width helps with the aero stuff, but at these depths I doubt there would be much difference in either efficiency or cross-wind stability. I'd say the 120g difference is a bigger factor. Both are really solid options though, especially for the price.