Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tubed Tire Recommendations for 10/90 Gravel and Asphalt

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-20, 07:04 PM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

Inspired by the tubeless thread posted today I need recommendations for tubed tires, please.

On my old bike, for a long time I just bought cheap Kenda tires for like $20/apiece, but eventually moved to Clement/Donnelly tires around $40/apiece. My current bike came with Schwalbe G-One Bite and those seem around $80/apiece. They've got close to 2K miles on them and the rear is pretty worn but the front is good. I'm debating buying just 1 replacement or buying 2 new tires of a different type.

I got the Grail thinking I'd do more dirt roads but I really don't. I do about 90% on paved roads and have no reason to do tubeless. I'm thinking of going back down to 35mm tires. The ones I've been considering are Schwalbe G-One Speed or Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass. Both are still like $80/apiece I think. Is there really a reason to get tires at that price range or go back to the ones around $40/apiece?

Please let me know about my choices or inform me of some others I might look into. Thanks!
Old 06-18-20, 07:40 AM
Junkbeast

Even with shipping to USA those are a good deal. Thanks a lot! I'd really like to try them out.
Old 06-18-20, 08:33 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
G-One Speed
Likes For vinuneuro:
Old 06-18-20, 09:57 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I somehow always come back to Pasela PT's. We use them for extended gravel tours, daily rides, etc and 35mm is what we use the most. Long wearing, affordable and a good compromise between durability and weight.
Old 06-18-20, 08:56 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
My 4 faves in order for heavy road: Challenge Strada Bianca, Rene Herse, Panaracer Gravel King slicls, Schwalbe G-One Definitely in that order...
Old 06-19-20, 02:18 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I have the G-One Speed and Allround. In the german tests, the Allround was faster than the speed, go figure. Although the difference was probably within the margin of error. Either way, they are about the same (I can't tell the difference, but the allround is more versatile and confidence inspiring. I'd do the Allround. I do tend to ride 32mm tires when I'm 90% pavement, and Conti GP5000 or 4seasons work good for me in that size.
Old 06-19-20, 02:37 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Do you have two bikes? A road and a gravel?
Old 06-20-20, 09:03 AM
Junkbeast

I just have my Grail and my old FX that I don't ride now. I got my grail thinking I would do MORE gravel than I was doing on the FX but I do about the same, which is only like 10% of my riding. The Grail is still pretty sweet on the road for me, so I just don't think I need 40mm knobby-ish tires for 90% pavement. I wanna go back to 35mm for the roads and the few pretty hard packed dirt roads I go on (no loose stuff).
Old 06-23-20, 01:07 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
My riding is about 10/90 gravel also. I ride 25mm on hard pack with no problems on my carbon frame/fork CX bike.on hard pack gravel. Going straight is fine but just have to be careful when coming to a sharp turn. I also have a second wheel set with 35mm for more gravel type riding which is a little on the small side but will go larger on my next set of tires. 28mm for street rims and 38mm for my gravel rims.

You might even want to drop down to 32mm or try 28mm. Maybe 30-32mm could be your sweet spot.

Last edited by RockiesDad; 06-23-20 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-23-20, 03:29 PM
Junkbeast

Originally Posted by dwmckee
My 4 faves in order for heavy road: Challenge Strada Bianca, Rene Herse, Panaracer Gravel King slicls, Schwalbe G-One Definitely in that order...
How are the Gravelking slicks on a dirt road; nothing too loose or rocky, just a fairly well packed if bumpy dirt road? They don't seem like they'd work off-pavement at all. The thing is, there are these green ones with tan walls that would look great on my bike. The slicks look too slick to me, the SKs look too knobby. They're supposed to have some new ones (SS) soon that appear to meet between the other two, treadwise. SS doesn't have colors though; and while it's not a dealbreaker, something about that green makes me want them! The 38mm slicks are pretty intriguing at the moment, for $90/pair. The 32mm are probably thinner than I need.

Originally Posted by RockiesDad
My riding is about 10/90 gravel also. I ride 25mm on hard pack with no problems on my carbon frame/fork CX bike.on hard pack gravel. Going straight is fine but just have to be careful when coming to a sharp turn. I also have a second wheel set with 35mm for more gravel type riding which is a little on the small side but will go larger on my next set of tires. 28mm for street rims and 38mm for my gravel rims.

You might even want to drop down to 32mm or try 28mm. Maybe 30-32mm could be your sweet spot.
I don't want to go too thin being a heavy rider (6'-3" 210-250). I know 35mm tires were working for me for many years so I worry that too skinny tires will be stressed under my weight.
Old 06-23-20, 08:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 7,488 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkbeast
How are the Gravelking slicks on a dirt road; nothing too loose or rocky, just a fairly well packed if bumpy dirt road? They don't seem like they'd work off-pavement at all. The thing is, there are these green ones with tan walls that would look great on my bike. The slicks look too slick to me, the SKs look too knobby.
No tread is needed for hardpack dirt roads. A slick is going to handle hardpack dirt roads perfectly fine. No tread is really needed for hardpack gravel either.
...tread is helpful on loose areas(so not hardpack) because the lug can get down past the loose top dressing and connect with the hardpack underneath. Or tread is helpful to grab on wet/loose surfaces.

Try the tires that look cool and have fun. Especially considering 90% of your riding will be pavement where slicks are clearly good.
Old 06-24-20, 07:03 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkbeast
How are the Gravelking slicks on a dirt road; nothing too loose or rocky, just a fairly well packed if bumpy dirt road?
I use 32mm slicks on dirt roads summer/fall (unless its too crunch, then I go bigger). Slicks work fine if its not wet (i.e. mud or wet grass).

Jan Heine did a long write up "proving" that slicks were just as good as knobby tires - which is why that is (almost) all they make and sell.
Fact is though, when a knobby tire starts to slide, it lets go relatively slowly and I often can catch it. When a slick lets go, it lets go rather suddenly. Not an issue for most people in the dry, but that is realistically the only difference I have experienced. I've spent many years mountain biking on what is essentially a slick.