Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

My belly hits the stem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-20, 08:18 AM
taylorgeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
My belly hits the stem!

I'm 350 lbs., and when I find a decent stand-over height (28" or less) and straddle the top tube, by belly presses against the stem/handlebars, while my keister hits the front of the saddle.

Is the REACH on a bike the best indication of a roomy cockpit?
Old 07-19-20, 08:37 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
As I can attest from experience, a big belly can make 'proper' cockpit fit tricky. I had to raise my stems and go like I was on a cruiser for a while. My bikes looked goofy as heck, but I was riding. Not so much an issue now, except on my racier bikes, though they're at least rideable now.
Old 07-19-20, 10:38 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo
Is the REACH on a bike the best indication of a roomy cockpit?
Yes. And some bikes have more standover height (for their general size) than others. If you get a longer bike, you can shorten your reach (not the bike's reach measurement) by getting a shorter stem.
Old 07-19-20, 12:25 PM
taylorgeo

Originally Posted by tyrion
Yes. And some bikes have more standover height (for their general size) than others. If you get a longer bike, you can shorten your reach (not the bike's reach measurement) by getting a shorter stem.
Gotcha! The two bikes I'm considering buying are the Giant Talon 3 and the Kona Lana'i. The Giant (medium) has a 29.5" standover and a 16.5' reach. I actually sat on this bike. The standover was too close for comfort and the cockpit was tight (stomach pressing against the neck of the bike).

Now the Kona Lana'i (medium) has a 28.3" standover and a 17.3" reach. I did not actually sit on this bike, but I'm thinking, strictly based off of the numbers, the cockpit might be roomier then the Giant. I might take a leap of faith and pre-order the damn thing!
Old 07-19-20, 12:27 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo
Now the Kona Lana'i (medium) has a 28.3" standover and a 17.3" reach. I did not actually sit on this bike, but I'm thinking, strictly based off of the numbers, the cockpit might be roomier then the Giant.
That's a relatively safe bet.
Old 07-20-20, 10:39 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I was just wondering if you would be comfortable riding a bike with a longer reach. I would think that you would want the bike to be comfortable while riding it and when you are not riding it, get off of the bike, if it bothers you that your belly is touching the stem. If you aren't comfortable riding the bike, you won't ride it.
Old 07-21-20, 06:21 AM
taylorgeo

Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I was just wondering if you would be comfortable riding a bike with a longer reach. I would think that you would want the bike to be comfortable while riding it and when you are not riding it, get off of the bike, if it bothers you that your belly is touching the stem. If you aren't comfortable riding the bike, you won't ride it.
Yeah, good point. The belly hitting the stem thing scares me if I need to make a quick stop... feel like I would smash up against it. I do have a lot of cushion there, and as long as I can protect the jewels!