Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

how do u define the perfect wheelset.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

how do u define the perfect wheelset.

Old 08-06-20, 11:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
DeFaileurs?? LOL hahahaha
Today I rode my 73 lb heavyweight tour bike with SA XL-FDD and XL-RD5w. 133.66 MILES in 12Hr15 clock time, exactly double my age. LOL. Broke my PB by about 7 miles. Still wasn't completely tired. First 59 miles I was at 16.08 avg, ended at 14.17. I did see fit to lighten the bike for once, about 7 lbs. Granite lock, 1 spare tube, a raincoat, BB / Rohloff tools and a handfull of sockets and several wrenches. Really helped going up the only steep 250 foot hill. LOL.
=== Dyad rims, WH 2.3/ 2.0 spokes with DT pro lock nipples. Front hub has 2 tours at 120 lbs, near 25,000 miles now. SMP 36 mm tires.
My 203 TRP cable disc Rohloff14 is my perfect hill climber compromise. LOL
Oh great, Gambler found another thread where he can laugh at the equipment of all other users in the thread.
delightful.***
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-08-20, 06:54 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
As a man of meager means, and that I'm not in the need of that last 2% of extreme performance, I'll have to settle for the set that I recently put on my 126mm-spaced Miyata 710.

36 spoke count since I'm a borderline Clyde and riding on northern Ohio broken-pavement crappy roads...Dura Ace 7400 freewheel hubset, Sapim butted stainless spokes, brass nipples and Open Pro hoops. Weight 770g front, and 882g rear including rim tape but without skewers. Tubes - 105g ea, 25mm Vittoria Rubino Pro front tire 225g, same tire in 28mm on the rear at 270g

That puts the weight of the complete front wheel/tube/tire at 1100g or 2.4 pounds -- or about the same as a full water bottle!
Old 08-16-20, 06:43 PM
satrain18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh great, Gambler found another thread where he can laugh at the equipment of all other users in the thread.
delightful.***
He starting to boast a little too much about his 73 lb opafiets.
Old 08-16-20, 07:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Most of my wheels are handbuilt with good quality components so that is always a big priority for me.

I would say my favorite wheelset probably is the Phil Wood/Velocity set on my Phil Wood Apple VeloXS bike. Phil Wood Freewheel hub (and road front) anodized pink with Phil Wood DB spokes to Phil Wood Brass Nipples laced to Velocity A23 Silver Rims absolute American perfection.

My titanium road bike wheels are excellent as well White Industries T11 hubs anodized silver with Sapim Force Spokes and Sapim Brass SecureLock Nipples laced to H+Son Archtype Hard Ano Grey rims). Nothing super fancy but all very reliable stuff and have held up to my fat ass just fine.

If you are looking for high quality MUSA hubs that aren't super ridiculous price wise White Industries is hard to beat. That would be a great place to start then if you are looking for ultimate reliability Sapim Strong spokes are quite excellent and their SecureLock nipples in brass are unlikely to come loose and with a good rim you are well set. Velocity is nice as it is MUSA and some excellent options for a durable reliable wheelset as well but Astral makes some great stuff also in 'Merica and if you don't want to be super spendy H+Son makes some great stuff having used their rims on 3 builds now I cannot find anything bad about them and they fill a niche that few others are currently filling, Hard Anodized Grey!

If you are in doubt you can always talk with your local wheel builder and see what they recommend.
Old 08-17-20, 09:35 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt
I think you’re trying to ID the Johnnie Walker Blue of wheels.
Similar to my first thought at that comparison. Johnny Walker? Oof.

Great wheels for me = DTSwiss p1800 disc 28 spokes. 1665grams, bladed spokes, through axle, nothing fancy, but pure function and efficiency at a very good price. Airstops with GP5000s is a great combination.