Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where do you spend your money? Questions on cycling spending

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where do you spend your money? Questions on cycling spending

Old 08-04-20, 02:10 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Sunnyrider56 : If you really "needed" a new custom frame, or anything else, you'd probably know it already - and you wouldn't ask for our advice on spending your money.
If Sunnyrider56 really needed a new frame in August 2019, he waited way too long. Good luck finding something now.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-04-20, 02:18 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
If Sunnyrider56 really needed a new frame in August 2019, he waited way too long. Good luck finding something now.

John
Hah! I didn't even realize that it's a zombie thread!
Old 08-04-20, 02:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Undoubtedly some trolls and socks here. OP joined, posted twice in this thread, then disappeared until the bizarre resurrection.
Old 08-04-20, 02:29 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunnyrider56
I'm not disparaging anyone for spending the money, but sincerely asking because I'm trying to wrap my head around nice gear and where to draw the line, where to maximize the investment.

I really like riding, and have for a few years ridden at least 20 km 5 days a week, be it commuting or groceries or long fun rides (I don't own a car). I have some cash saved in my cycling budget, and I'm wondering if dropping it on something like a custom frame in steel or Ti (Moots, Firefly, etc) is really the best place for it. While having a beautiful, durable, fitted frame would be nice, I also realize that a crash (or theft) would reduce that investment to zero in an instant, or changing standards making a "forever" bike harder to outfit after some years (even if it's 10-15).

I suppose this is several questions:

Is it worth spending on a nice frame alone (north of $4000), considering obsolescence and crashes/theft?

Would it be a better "investment" to spend some of that on travel or other gear to make the riding more enjoyable (clothing, groupset or IGH/Pinion, wheels, computer, etc) and a less-expensive frame, assuming geo was right?

If you're intending to ride a bike every day until it breaks, how much could you justify spending on any single bicycle?
Can't remember which fortune cookie contained this, but "fear of losing something should never deter you from having it". If it makes you happy and you can afford it, get it - you only have one life to enjoy. Bike theft is almost entirely under your control, and frankly, if you crash sufficiently hard to wreck your bike, you have more pressing things to worry about. But, you absolutely don't need a $4K bike, let alone a $4K frame, to enjoy cycling to the fullest (wanting one is a different thing altogether). Once you're up in the $1500-$2000 range (ballpark numbers pulled out of my arse for the purposes of this discussion), you're into the realm of diminishing returns and bragging rights. I would say, though, you need to look at comfort - bike fit, clothes, shoes etc, and balance this against the cost of the bike - there's little point in blowing your financial wad on a superbike and not getting the most out of it because you're enduring cheap shorts or crappy shoes. Being comfortable on an inexpensive well-fitting bike is way preferable to back-ache or having your nethers traumatized on the "booshiest" (sp?) of uberbikes.
For myself, I bought my "dream frame" used 17 years ago for ~$1k and built it up with mid-range parts from my previous bike. It remains my "dream frame" (although if someone threw a Colnago Master my way, I'd make room in the garage for a second bike ). These days, I spend money on maintenance parts and occasional clothing/gear to replace worn stuff, but it's pretty guilt-free spending, because it's really not that much (one kid starting college this year and the other next year, so there are always "bigger fish" to factor into large purchases), but in terms of cycling needs and wants, I am replete without having to spend a sh1t-ton. Maybe when the kids are out of college I'll look into a trip to Mallorca......

Last edited by Litespud; 08-04-20 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-04-20, 03:03 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
I'm not disparaging anyone for spending the money, but sincerely asking because

Is it worth spending on a nice frame alone (north of $4000), considering obsolescence and crashes/theft?

If you're intending to ride a bike every day until it breaks, how much could you justify spending on any single bicycle?
How can anyone else give an opinion about how much money YOU should spend on a bike or what's worth it to you?!? 4,000 is a lot of money but it's not the same for everyone. If you earn $40,000 a year, 4 grand is 10% of your income. If you earn $80,000 is just 5%, if you earn $400,000 a year - it's one percent. Some people will put $4,000 on their credit card to buy their dream bike. Others think that spending $400 on a bike is a waste of money. . You mention steel but somehow assume the frame will be worthless after a crash. Seriously, durability is one of the reason some people opt for steel over carbon. Truly - who cares - do whatever pleases you!
Old 08-04-20, 03:09 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Hah! I didn't even realize that it's a zombie thread!
Lol! I came so close to replying right before you and then I checked to see if the OP had replied and saw the date.

John
Old 08-04-20, 03:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Is a zombie sock the same as a sock zombie?
Old 08-04-20, 06:51 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts

Would it be a better "investment" to spend some of that on travel or other gear to make the riding more enjoyable (clothing, groupset or IGH/Pinion, wheels, computer, etc) and a less-expensive frame, assuming geo was right?

Unless you're changing from hi-ten steel to something lighter, a new frame is probably the upgrade you're least likely to notice, second only to switching to ceramic bearings. If you want to make your bike nicer to ride, wheels are always a good investment if you go more aero and a bit lighter, and so are nicer components. More reliable & precise shifting, better braking, and a nicer feeling saddle are things you will notice on literally every ride you take on your upgraded bike. It's doubtful that anyone would notice the change to a more "laterally stiff yet vertically compliant" frame, but anyone can tell if the saddle sucks or not.
Old 08-05-20, 04:01 AM
Illgot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Clothing wise I bought 3 bike jerseys and UV sleeves for the summers here. It gets overt 100 degrees F with 100% humidity. For night rides I have a reflective vest, horrible for the summer heat but makes me a beacon on the roads. Neon green gloves so it's easier to see me signal (not that many driver's know what it means).

I'm concerned with safety because there is very little safe infrastructure where I ride and I often find cars in the bicycle lane honking at me for blocking them in at red lights.
Old 08-06-20, 03:18 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Since you have enough money to even ask the question about spending more money on something not entirely necessary, you are already past the two lowest levels of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

So am I, and I buy a new bike about every 10 years. I'm really not buying a new bike for the Love and Belonging, as I don't even wear bike "kit" and don't do that many group rides, let alone race.

If I'm honest, the Esteem level does come into play - going from my 1996 steel Trek 520 to my 2017 carbon Trek Domane definitely hit the "self-esteem, strength and freedom" buttons even if I really don't think "respect" or "status" came into play.

For that one, I made a deal with myself: lose 20 pounds and spend on a bike that weighed 10 lbs less than the 520. I wanted to climb hills faster but I was also 40 lbs overweight! So, I felt I justified this "need" with "being the best I could be" with lowering overall bike/rider weight, not just bike weight! ...<snip>
Over the years this has been my best way to justify (and limit) myself when I would get the gimme's and want's. It was a twofer, good for my health and my wallet. The TWO exceptions were with the hand-built wheels purchase and the Brooks saddle purchase.
Old 08-06-20, 04:40 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Most of my cycling expenses go into fuel - i.e. food and beer.
I echo this statement...usually too much beer when I reach my destination.......all's Good
Old 08-06-20, 04:44 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Take 3 or 4 weeks off. Fly to France or Italy or Spain or Tasmania, wherever suits your level of adventure. Buy or rent a bike. Ride from town to town, village to village. Eat great food, drink coffee and wine, stay in small places. Come home, ride what you have. Money well spent, no worries about obsolescence.

Stuff doesn't matter one bit.

But again that's what makes me happy. YMMV.
This sounds Good Too.....
Old 08-07-20, 09:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Once you have the bike or trike you want, cycling is not that expensive. Cost are mainly tires and tubes, and once in a while a chain. Just dont buy into advertising that says you just have to have this _________ what ever latest thing to be considered to be a cyclist.

Some of the guys that I worked with golf, and they tease me about the cost of my bike and trike. Yet it seems like that every couple of years they go out and buy another really expensive driver or putter.

Last edited by rydabent; 01-18-21 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-16-21, 10:36 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
Ibuprofen

Old 01-16-21, 10:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I'm not disparaging anyone for spending the money, but sincerely asking because I'm trying to wrap my head around nice gear and where to draw the line, where to maximize the investment.

I really like riding, and have for a few years ridden at least 20 km 5 days a week, be it commuting or groceries or long fun rides (I don't own a car). I have some cash saved in my cycling budget, and I'm wondering if dropping it on something like a custom frame in steel or Ti (Moots, Firefly, etc) is really the best place for it. While having a beautiful, durable, fitted frame would be nice, I also realize that a crash (or theft) would reduce that investment to zero in an instant, or changing standards making a "forever" bike harder to outfit after some years (even if it's 10-15).

I suppose this is several questions:

Depends on your age. When I was just short of 50 I decided to buy my "last bike". It was Univega touring bike with a triple. I figured it would be comfortable in my old age, and the triple should get an old man up some hills he might come across. Im 82 and have bought 4 bikes since then. Things change in what you might want.
Old 01-16-21, 10:54 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I would spend it on an engine upgrade: personal coaching.
Old 01-16-21, 11:03 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I bought a new bike recently. I could have spent anything I wanted, but when I started looking it became unclear what more money would get me that I needed, so when I pulled the trigger the only model upgrade that seemed meaningful was disc brakes. Would a fancy drivetrain have been worth the money for my recreational puttering around for exercise? I can't see it.

For people at the margins of sport riding, sure, maybe, but how many of us fit that description?
Old 01-16-21, 11:09 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
The more I ride the more I realize I am my best and worst cycling asset.
My next bike in about five years will likely be at the Tiagra level. It will work just fine and anything above that is just wasted money.
Old 01-20-21, 02:18 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
OP might find this refreshingly specific and focused:

https://intheknowcycling.com/enthusi...ng-priorities/