Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Why would anyone not want to have Gear Indicators on their Gear Shifters?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Why would anyone not want to have Gear Indicators on their Gear Shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 08:31 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
The general population of us, likes to see and feel things. Where as the professional cyclists and drivers do very well by feel.
Originally Posted by bigjer2
Ok.....after reading a lot of opinions.....here is mine.....like it or not...
Gear Indicators are like "Training wheels". You need them until you learn how to ride. PERIOD!!!

Again... I don't think anyone is saying it's nice to have them to know when and when not to shift, or where and where not to shift. It's just good info to have at a glance when you need it.

I'd like to see how well the so called "professional cyclists" and those that have "learned to ride" would do if their bike was put in a specific gear by someone other than them, then the "pro" jumps on their bike and without visual aid be able to determine what gear it is in.

I bet very few would get it on the first try.

Last edited by one4smoke; 08-30-15 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-30-15, 09:09 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Motorcycle riders on sportbikes enjoy a gear indicator. They are willing to pay over 100 dollars for one plus install fees if you are not a DIY person.
For bicycles its a plus to have as well.
Old 08-30-15, 11:51 PM
Eprobungs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by one4smoke
No, there's not a "gear pattern" on the knob ...but there is a shift indicator on the dash. For the same purpose of the rev limiter.
Shift indicator and rev limiter are totally different things.
Rev limiter prevents the engine from exceeding a certain r.p.m. by cutting ignition or fuel or both.
Shift indicator is a driver's aid which notifies when it is appropriate to shift gears.
Perhaps you got it mixed up with a tachometer which indicates r.p.m.

I heard that semi trucks have lots of gears.
For instance 9 speed transmission combined with 2 stage transfer totalling 18 speeds.
Kinda simular to a bicycle with 9sp cluster x 2 chainrings.
I wonder how the drivers are handing all those gears. Do they rely on gear indicators, if there are any?
I have a feeling that seasoned vetarans could do it by feel.
Any semi drivers on this board?

BTW I'm surprised that this thread hasn't deteriorated into an unpleasant pissing match.
Old 08-31-15, 05:57 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by Eprobungs
Shift indicator and rev limiter are totally different things.
Rev limiter prevents the engine from exceeding a certain r.p.m. by cutting ignition or fuel or both.
Shift indicator is a driver's aid which notifies when it is appropriate to shift gears.
Perhaps you got it mixed up with a tachometer which indicates r.p.m.
No, you misunderstood. I'm saying the drivers have a shift indicator as well as a rev limiter, both there to prevent the engine from over-revving and ultimately being damaged.

I'm well aware of what a tach does, thank you.
Old 08-31-15, 07:02 AM
bigjer2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote -
"I'd like to see how well the so called "professional cyclists" and those that have "learned to ride" would do if their bike was put in a specific gear by someone other than them, then the "pro" jumps on their bike and without visual aid be able to determine what gear it is in.

I bet very few would get it on the first try. " end quote

And if the gear is too high....you flick the shifter to the gear of your choice! The number assigned to a specific sprocket means nothing....its the mechanical advantage gained that matters.
(unless you don't know how to shift up or down)
Old 08-31-15, 07:10 AM
bigjer2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by retlod
Stick drivers get big hints from the tachometer, the sound of the engine, and the feedback they get from a flick of the throttle, not to mention their hand position on the shift knob. It's waaaaay easier to tell what gear a car is in.
So you are saying the bike rider isn't getting "feedback" from the difficulty in pedaling, the speed of his leg cadence as related to ground speed, and more?
Old 08-31-15, 07:15 AM
bigjer2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
HA! I was kind of waiting for someone to ask this!

Nascar is racing.........like road racing bikes, neither have gear shift indicators. They go by feel of course, you have to get know your machinery personally.

Normal cars, SUV's Trucks and vehicles in general for the population much like our hybrids as compared to cars, do have shift indicators on both the knobs and on the dash telling us what gears we are in.

The general population of us, likes to see and feel things. Where as the professional cyclists and drivers do very well by feel.
You are correct about the "Feel" of things......but you don't have to be a professional cyclist to know how to keep your leg cadence up by selecting a lower ratio when your legs start to slow down and the strain on your knees begins.
Old 08-31-15, 07:25 AM
Eprobungs

Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
No, you misunderstood. I'm saying the drivers have a shift indicator as well as a rev limiter, both there to prevent the engine from over-revving and ultimately being damaged.

I'm well aware of what a tach does, thank you.
Could you elaborate on how a shift indicator would prevent the engine from over-revving?
I don' t think you know what you're talking about.
Old 08-31-15, 07:40 AM
one4smoke

Could you elaborate on how a shift indicator would prevent the engine from over-revving?
I don' t think you know what you're talking about.
Really?!? You're serious? You need this spelled out for ya...

Because not shifting into a higher gear at a critical RPM can cause engine failure. Duh.
Old 08-31-15, 08:18 AM
retlod

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Speed 1 | Trek 1500 SLR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjer2
So you are saying the bike rider isn't getting "feedback" from the difficulty in pedaling, the speed of his leg cadence as related to ground speed, and more?
No, that wasn't what I said.
Old 08-31-15, 10:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
3 speed its easy to figure out.. my Brompton's shift lever is on top by my thumb.

Likewise my 3 and 4 on the 'Tree'/steering wheel shifted Cars. its easy to Grok.
Old 08-31-15, 10:29 AM
Ajh800

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp Disc '14, Spec' Crosstrail Sport Disc (customed), Ellsworth Epiphany

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Tiagra front shifter is back to front , the red marker is far right when on the smaller chainring.

So, what's the point?
Old 08-31-15, 10:54 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 488 Posts
Again... I don't think anyone is saying it's nice to have them to know when and when not to shift, or where and where not to shift. It's just good info to have at a glance when you need it.

I'd like to see how well the so called "professional cyclists" and those that have "learned to ride" would do if their bike was put in a specific gear by someone other than them, then the "pro" jumps on their bike and without visual aid be able to determine what gear it is in.

I always look at the drivetrain before I hop on. Once I straddle the bike, I adjust the gearing for the initial terrain. Then I start rolling.

I dont care what number Shimano assigned that cog.
Old 08-31-15, 01:19 PM
bigjer2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jut like Jeopardy!!!! I got it ALEX!!!! lol ...... Chill out one4SMOKE!!! You have to be spinning the chain to change gears anyway.....Whatever.....
Old 08-31-15, 01:26 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12774 Post(s)
Liked 7,692 Times in 4,081 Posts
I have them on some of my bikes but only look at them once or twice a year. I broke off the top part of my XTR right shifter, so now it's just a happy fluorescent red flag that jumps when I shift gears but doesn't point to any numbers or lines.
Old 08-31-15, 01:57 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts

Why do I have to know exactly which gear I'm in when I get on my bike? Maybe I was totally spent when I finished the last ride and was on a very easy gear. Maybe I'd just been sprinting or hadn't been doing much at all and wasn't tired and left the bike in a harder gear. Within 2 pedal rotations, I know whether or not I want to change it and which way to change it. Knowing which of the 3 rings I'm on in front is useful, but I always leave that in the middle.

Old 08-31-15, 08:13 PM
Eprobungs

Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
Really?!? You're serious? You need this spelled out for ya...

Because not shifting into a higher gear at a critical RPM can cause engine failure. Duh.
So, that's your idea of elaboration? Wow what a genius.
You must be incapable of reading a simple tach for that STUPID SITUATION to happen.
And are you really aware why the rev-limiter is there for? In the situation you mentioned, it would cut in.
If you can't figure out when to shift without a silly shift indicator, you're incapable of operating MTs period.

I regret having my time wasted on you.
Sould've figured it when you were so hell bent on discrediting those who claimed no need for OGDs.
My mistake totally. OP, sorry for kinda derailling the thread.
Old 08-31-15, 10:23 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
I think you guys should take some time to cool your jets.

Let the egos go. Nobody is more superior than the other so let people say their point of view without it getting heated. A discussion is nice but when it comes to insulting and degrading each other, it no longer is fun.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-31-15, 10:32 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12774 Post(s)
Liked 7,692 Times in 4,081 Posts
There is somewhat of a market for this keyboard, so there might as well be one for no-indicator shifters, too

Das Keyboard 4C Ultimate Mechanical Keyboard DASK4CULTMBLU B&H
Old 09-01-15, 06:00 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I only ever look at the gear indicator to make sure that I'm on the highest gear out back. It usually feels like I am, but without that number indicating high gear I would probably still try to push the gear indicator to make sure.

When I had a motorcycle with a gear indicator, I only used it for the same thing - to make sure I was in 6th gear when I was cruising on the highway. When I had motorcycles without an indicator, I would sometimes push the shift lever to make sure that I was in final gear.
Old 09-01-15, 10:43 AM
one4smoke

So, that's your idea of elaboration? Wow what a genius.
You must be incapable of reading a simple tach for that STUPID SITUATION to happen.
And are you really aware why the rev-limiter is there for? In the situation you mentioned, it would cut in.
If you can't figure out when to shift without a silly shift indicator, you're incapable of operating MTs period.

I regret having my time wasted on you.
Sould've figured it when you were so hell bent on discrediting those who claimed no need for OGDs.
My mistake totally. OP, sorry for kinda derailling the thread.
Sorry you feel ...in such a way that you do. I can assure you that when it comes to racing, especially NASCAR, I am well informed having been in and around the sport for 30+ years.
Old 09-01-15, 10:44 AM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
There is somewhat of a market for this keyboard, so there might as well be one for no-indicator shifters, too

Das Keyboard 4C Ultimate Mechanical Keyboard DASK4CULTMBLU B&H
Old 09-01-15, 10:46 AM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by highrpm
I only ever look at the gear indicator to make sure that I'm on the highest gear out back. It usually feels like I am, but without that number indicating high gear I would probably still try to push the gear indicator to make sure.

When I had a motorcycle with a gear indicator, I only used it for the same thing - to make sure I was in 6th gear when I was cruising on the highway. When I had motorcycles without an indicator, I would sometimes push the shift lever to make sure that I was in final gear.
Definitely comes in handy for that! Saves from going through the unnecessary motion.
Old 09-01-15, 12:00 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
couldn't care less whether my shifters have 'indicators' or not. They are useless. Never look at them, and don't need to 'look down' to know what gear I'm in.

Why not? Simple: I can tell by feel whether I need to shift down or up to sustain my preferred cadence. Legs pushing too hard/cadence slowing, obviously need a lighter gear; the reverse -- harder gear.
^^THIS^^

I never know where the indicator is.
Old 02-13-16, 07:58 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Inspired by this thread, I decided to pay attention whether I actually use my gear indicators or not. I realized that I actually don't, especially that the indicators on my shifters aren't easy to read. So I removed them and got some custom vinyl stickers made to cover the exposed holes. Here's the result. I like the decluttered handlebar look.

Before

After
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160211_133050318.jpg (60.3 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg
Untitled.jpg (78.2 KB, 130 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.