Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can an 8 speed shifter be made to work with a 7 speed cassette?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 03:34 PM
jc907

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy folks,

Please have patience with this newbie to the forum if my question seems like a "Duh!" one. I've been out of the saddle a looong time (mountain bikes were a new novelty when I started riding) and I've found the tech's changed dramatically since those days when I virtually lived on 2 wheels.

I've taken my 1995 GT Tequesta out of mothball and had to 86 the original Shimano STX rear/right hand shifter. I tried rehabing it by completely dismantling & degreasing out the tar/sand/crude that was not letting the cam engage. I cleaned it thoroughly with trichlorethylbadstuff, but found after rebuilding the unit and applying a light silicone lubricant to the metal parts, I could only get 6 shifts out of it and not the 7 that it used to do, hence, my decision to deep 6 it altogether.

Obviously the STX line's long discontinued & 7 speed units that are Shimano derailleur compatible are not easy to find as most units are now 8, 9, 10 or higher speeds. I'd like to avoid replacing the rear derailleur and/or cassette as both are still in good working order showing minimal wear and tear.

I've been told I can use an 8 speed shifter as long as it's Shimano derailleur compatible and simply limit the derailleur travel using the derailleurs limiting screws.

Is that true and/or are there other things I need to take into consideration?

Thanks in advance for reading and I look forward to hearing from anyone out there.
Old 05-11-20, 04:06 PM
KenCarlson

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
If it's a 7-speed shifter, it will have 6 clicks. If you don't believe me, count them on your fingers: 1 to 2 is 1, 2 to 3 is 2...
Old 05-11-20, 05:49 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
As KenCarlson stated you have the right number of shifts for a 7-speed shifter, but Amazon has many trigger, twist and brifter styles of shifters to choose from.
Old 05-11-20, 06:36 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If, after heeding the advice given above, and if it turns you get 6 gears and 5 clicks, then the answer to your 8 speed shifter question is yes.

I started mountain bike riding late in life and when an LX 7 speed shifter was giving me problems, I went to look for a replacement. I found older 7 speed shifters so overpriced, and new ones were not very good, and I could get a better 8 speed shifter for less.

I took my 7 speed cassette apart. Sanded the plastic spacers from 3.15mm to 3.0mm. Put it together and ran 7 gears with 8 speed shifters and never looked back.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-11-20, 09:07 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
You can use 8 speed shifter with a 7 speed cassette. Be sure to set the limit screws correctly on the RD. Obviously you will have 1 click in your shifter that will be blocked by the limit screw (you can pick high or low).
Old 05-12-20, 02:17 AM
jc907

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Understood, but the indicator only goes to "6" now. I haven't reinstalled the unit and attached the cable to it so could that have something to do with it only indicating 6? going
Old 05-12-20, 02:18 AM
jc907

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Solid copy. Thx
Old 05-12-20, 11:27 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
You can also you 7 cogs of an 8-speed cassette. That will get you exactly the right shifting. Or measure the thickness of the 8-speed spacers, and use them with your 7-speed cassette. The differences between 7/8 are very minor and sometimes you can get away with mismatching, but not always.
Old 05-12-20, 11:31 AM
jc907

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
You can also you 7 cogs of an 8-speed cassette. That will get you exactly the right shifting. Or measure the thickness of the 8-speed spacers, and use them with your 7-speed cassette. The differences between 7/8 are very minor and sometimes you can get away with mismatching, but not always.
Thx. Appreciate it greatly!
Old 05-12-20, 11:40 AM
jc907

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
As KenCarlson stated you have the right number of shifts for a 7-speed shifter, but Amazon has many trigger, twist and brifter styles of shifters to choose from.
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
If, after heeding the advice given above, and if it turns you get 6 gears and 5 clicks, then the answer to your 8 speed shifter question is yes.

I started mountain bike riding late in life and when an LX 7 speed shifter was giving me problems, I went to look for a replacement. I found older 7 speed shifters so overpriced, and new ones were not very good, and I could get a better 8 speed shifter for less.

I took my 7 speed cassette apart. Sanded the plastic spacers from 3.15mm to 3.0mm. Put it together and ran 7 gears with 8 speed shifters and never looked back.

John
Originally Posted by tFUnK
You can use 8 speed shifter with a 7 speed cassette. Be sure to set the limit screws correctly on the RD. Obviously you will have 1 click in your shifter that will be blocked by the limit screw (you can pick high or low).
Originally Posted by jc907
Understood, but the indicator only goes to "6" now. I haven't reinstalled the unit and attached the cable to it so could that have something to do with it only indicating 6? going
Originally Posted by FastJake
Thank you all greatly for your incisive and timely responses.

Update: I've tried it one last time and it seems the gear shift gods have decided to smile upon me: The shifter now is running through all shifts except the last two on the return. I'm suspecting that it will work properly once the new cable is installed and there's tension on the return.

Thx to all again
Old 05-12-20, 04:38 PM
bubish

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Renegade, 2016 Specialized Camber, 2008 Trek 1.5, 1989 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Specialized Allez, 1970 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
If you do end up needing a new shifter, it looks like you can get a set of Microshift ones for pretty cheap: https://www.amazon.com/MicroShift-Th...322857&sr=8-23

I haven't tried their 7 speed stuff, but I know from experience their 11 mountain bike shifter is solid.
Likes For bubish:
Old 05-13-20, 04:20 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO

John
Wow...you da man.
Likes For BobsPoprad: