Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Weather Protection - Reviews/ Opinions needed

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 12:23 AM
ilewis365

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

Just started commuting to work via bicycle to avoid public transport during this time. I've got a caught a couple of times in the rain recently and don't have changing facilities at work.
I've been looking at rain covers for my bike, i've seen the two products below on the market? Has anyone got any experience or reviews?

The two products i am looking at are:
- "Veltop Urban Light"
- "Dryve".

I appreciate that they look a bit silly, but if they're practical it might be worth it.

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-13-20, 07:34 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Hmm. First off, if your workplace has toilets, especially a handicap stall, you've got a changing facility.

These covers look like they'd be a sail in any wind, and a drag if you ride at speed. If your commute is 1-2 km, and it's rarely windy when it rains, they might work. Any kind of cross wind will leave you soaked in a heavy rain.

But if you try one, please do let us know how it works for you!
Old 05-13-20, 07:54 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
https://newatlas.com/dryve-bicycle-rain-cover/33620/
https://www.veltop.eu/en/models-bike...le-e-bike.html

ilewis365 Welcome to bikeforums. I don't think either of those will keep you very dry. And they will probably catch any wind and cause instability (or worse).

I think if you search bikeforums for rain advice (just do a google search and add "bikeforums.net" to the search) you will find the general concensus is that a rain jacket and rain pants are your best bet.

Sure, they may cause you to heat up and perspire, a little, but the better rain gear has more breathability.

Also, a long (LONG!) front fender, that tucks under the front wheel and has a flap that skims the pavement will go a long way towards keeping you dry....road spray is real.

Personally, I prefer a cycling rain "cape" rather than a jacket. The cape provides more breathability, but then I commute in bike clothes and change.

Speaking of changing...I know you said you don;t have changing facilities at work...but if you have a bathroom, you have a changing facility. Before this Covid virus quarantine, I regularly cycled to meet friends for lunch on Sundays wearing my bike clothes and changing into street clothes in a small stall in the bathroom.

The bottom line is this: Not everything works for everybody. Research on your different options and decide what may work best for you. And be prepared to try something else if your first course of action isn;t panning out.

Congrats on hopping on the bike and sticking with it, I know it can be difficult at first, but you may end up enjoying it enough to stay with it even when public transportation is safe-ish again.

Here is my experience with rain riding:
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...e-musings.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/1141223-diy-rain-
cape-1-2-a.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...0-success.html
Old 05-13-20, 11:29 AM
Booger1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
If you ride in the rain,your going o get wet......I just try and limit it tothe edges.....Keep the core dry.
Old 05-14-20, 05:26 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Those covers will help in light rain but your lower legs and arms will still get soaked. But light rain isn't the problem right? Wear a water-resistant rain shell, waterproof overshoes. And for sure install some fenders.
Old 05-16-20, 03:02 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
If you wear a rain jacket and pants over normal clothes, I don't see why you need a changing room. When you take off the rain jacket and pants, what else do you have to remove other than the shoes?

I have waterproof low cut hiking boots/shoes which stay dry inside unless it rains very heavily, then the drops tend to get past the rain pants and into the top of the shoes, but you can wear waterproof booties for the shoes.
Old 05-16-20, 03:22 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
can't imagine those bike covers would be a good experience.

Rain jacket, fenders and rain overpants - depending on the temperature you will probably sweat. Jackets with pit and back vents help a lot.
Old 05-16-20, 05:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
as it's been said of Coah Belichick. if it works, it's brilliant
Old 05-16-20, 05:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
And for sure install some fenders.
scooter fenders!

but to be truly effective I'd want closed sides