Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2020 Ride of Silence

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

2020 Ride of Silence

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 06:58 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
2020 Ride of Silence

I'm surprised, but happy to see the local Ride of Silence is on for next Wednesday. Social distancing will be practiced and masks encouraged. The Ride of Silence has special meaning to the club that puts it on here, as they had a member lost to a bicycle/car accident just a few years ago. They also do a great job of getting local media and law enforcement involved for communication of what this event represents.

Anyone else's club planning the ride which is always the 3rd Wednesday of May ?
==============================================================
The Ride of Silence is an annual international bicycle ride to commemorate cyclists killed and support those injured while riding on public roads. It helps to raise awareness among motorists, the public and decision makers of the dangers cyclists face on the roads, especially from other traffic.

The first Ride of Silence was organized by Chris Phelan and held in
Dallas, Texas in 2003. Many participants found the experience to be very moving.[1] Although it was conceived as a one-time event, it has been repeated every year since then. Cyclists in cities around the globe have joined this movement. It has grown each year, with around 400 locations participating, most in the United States, but typically on all seven continents, including Antarctica. In 2013, the tenth anniversary, Ride of Silence events were held in 26 countries.

The Ride of Silence is held on the evening of the third Wednesday in May. The League of American Bicyclists promotes this event side-by-side with the national Bike Month and Bike-to-Work Day, held on the third Friday in May.
Old 05-15-20, 02:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Officially, the Ride of Silence here in Fort Worth is sorta-on, but without any official approval of a conventional group ride. They're still encouraging the usual pandemic health precautions -- social distancing, etc.

In reality, I suspect it'll be an ad hoc group ride with a dozen or so participants, fewer than usual but still a group ride. I know many folks have continued group rides throughout the pandemic without any real change in practices. They'll post coy descriptions on social media about social distancing rides, but when you look at the videos and photos it's just a normal group ride, everyone still bunched together close enough to get a whiff of cooties if anyone is infected.

Same with the Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred. Some folks are miffed about the cancellation and are talking about keeping their motel reservations and organizing their own ad hoc century ride.

I won't be doing any group rides at all for at least the rest of the year. Maybe ever again, depending on whether the coronavirus mutates into a less serious form, or a vaccine is developed, or a proper test confirms I've developed antibodies. Can't risk it with my auto-immune disorder and chronic upper respiratory inflammation. I still ride 3-4 times a week, still doing 400-500 miles a month, but solo. I avoid the MUP and stick to the suburban and rural areas west of town. Occasionally I'll pass someone or be passed, usually at a safe distance. No problems.
Old 05-15-20, 03:11 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I won't be doing any group rides at all for at least the rest of the year. Maybe ever again, depending on whether the coronavirus mutates into a less serious form, or a vaccine is developed, or a proper test confirms I've developed antibodies. Can't risk it with my auto-immune disorder and chronic upper respiratory inflammation. I still ride 3-4 times a week, still doing 400-500 miles a month, but solo. I avoid the MUP and stick to the suburban and rural areas west of town. Occasionally I'll pass someone or be passed, usually at a safe distance. No problems.
I guess that this is our new reality. I have been getting out lately, spring here in Montreal is about 4 weeks behind schedule, and because of shutdowns and social distancing, I am weeks behind my normal schedule(not using age as an excuse). I have been a member of a local club for almost 30 years, and I am used to seeing my friends when I ride locally on my own. every time I have ridden this spring I have seen several friends, not surprising being a member of a club with 300-400 members. I like riding alone, and I enjoy riding with my friends. After 30 years riding with the club, I have literally hundreds of club ride routes to choose from. On almost any weekend day, I will probably encounter someone I know on any of those routes
Old 05-21-20, 06:58 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Under the worst possible conditions, the ride still went on. It has been raining almost constantly for 3 straight days and last night was no exception but still about 25 riders made the ride through Greenville NC to call attention to the cause

https://www.witn.com/video?vid=570649352

RobbieTunes might recognize the photographer here.

Anyone else do the ROS last night with better weather ?
Old 08-07-20, 05:28 AM
markpedal
markpedal

Bikes: Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello fellow cyclists, I am tracking 2020 Ride of Silence locations for the RofS Board of Directors. I’m a former V. P., Sr. Outreach Director and Mentor of the organization. I’m currently an Advisor to the Board, our Historian/Statistician, MI Coordinator and a local Organizer. (involved since 2005)

Due to the uniqueness of this year's Ride because of COVID-19, it allows me to note multiple Ride locations within a city; small group rides, solo rides and virtual rides, vs. typically a single large gathering.

Yes this includes all virtual rides, a Spin for Silence. I had a reply from a spinner on Instagram [yes I rode on the 20th (May), but it was only on my trainer] As RofS Founder Chris Phelan has always stated; “A single cyclist riding in silence is a RofS”. If you spun that evening on a trainer for the RofS, you joined folks in Antarctica who held their unique Spin for Silence for the 14th year. They count and so do you.

We could potentially set a record for most locations this year:

2016; 410
2017; 395
2013; 380
2018; 375
2020; 374

The RofS website lists 156 locations. I’ve tracked an additional 218 so far via the hashtag the Board requested riders to post in social media. For instance, I’ve noted 8 separate group, solo or virtual Rides in Berlin Germany, each in a specific District of the city.

I’m asking everyone here who held a Ride or Spin for Silence that evening, where was it located in your city or town? Please reply here or send me a message noting City & State. (or Country if outside the U.S.A.) Please identify if it’s N, W, E or S in your area, and if you can be more specific; NW or SE, uptown, downtown, &/or a district like Berlin or NYC’s 5 boroughs, from a city park etc.

Thanks for riding on 5/20. Hopefully in 2021 we can return to a normal Ride of Silence. As an FYI, the Board is planning on rolling out a new website for 2021 sometime in Nov./Dec.

Ride Safe,
Mark H. (markpedal)